Warner Bros. Releases Disappointing Mortal Kombat: Legacy Teaser

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Warner Bros. Releases Disappointing Mortal Kombat: Legacy Teaser

Generic-looking characters battle in the lackluster first clip from the new Mortal Kombat web series.

Warner Bros. has released the first clip from the Mortal Kombat: Legacy web show, a continuation of the thrilling reinterpretation of the Mortal Kombat world seen in director Kevin Tancharoen's short film, Mortal Kombat Rebirth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away ]. Unfortunately, everything that made Rebirth so interesting seems to be in short supply in this clip.

According to the description that goes with the video, Jax, played by Michael Jai White, is fighting Kano, played by Darren Shahlavi, who appeared in 300. After a brief gun battle, Jax and Kano start duking it out with hands and feet until they accidentally launch a grenade into the floor at their feet, forcing them to put the fisticuffs on hold while they run for cover. It's obvious, even from this short clip, that the action is well choreographed, and the production values are clearly very high, but there's nothing about it that really says Mortal Kombat. The new Kano, for example, is far cry from the bold reimaginings of characters like Reptile and Baraka, looking more like generic - and unidentifiable - thug with a knife.

Having seen Rebirth however, it seems likely that this is just a lackluster scene, and not representative of the new series as a whole. Mortal Kombat: Legacy premieres on the Machinima YouTube channel [http://www.youtube.com/user/machinima] on April 12th, and over the course of nine episodes, will show how various characters ended up at the Mortal Kombat tournament.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/#!5789961/first-clip-from-the-horrifying-mortal-kombat-live-action-web-series]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the choreography is good, but there's nothing interesting about a generic factory setup. Plus they should at least have given Kano an eyepatch as a hint of who he is. Give me something like that forest from the production photos; that looks HEAVY on the atmosphere.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009

Really? After that incredible teaser, this is what we get? This sure as hell better not be the way the finished product will look like...

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Not even the choreography is all that good.
And oh lord, who is responsible the over exaggerated sounds?

typhon923

Apr 12, 2008
lets just hope this is a slip up and the rest of the series is better becase i been looking forward to this since i saw rebirth and this is very disappointing

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I seem to recall a user made trailer that looked 10 times better than this junk. But what can you expect from Warner Brothers ... They are the EA of Hollywood.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
My guess? That grenade is going to end up taking half of Kano's face. Kind of an origin piece.

Weird choice for a teaser trailer though.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Christ all of you are so snobbingly incredibly hard to please. This is but a CLIP of what's going on, you can't base the entire show on a minute and 22 seconds clip.

Troy Harter

Apr 8, 2011
I am not worried too much about this simply because the clip featured two of the most generic characters in the Mortal Kombat Universe. Seriously who cares about Jax and Kano? I will worry if clips featuring the interesting characters in the series suck

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Looks the same, I think with the first trailer everyone was viewing it as an independant kind of thing. More of a, "Wow, I can't believe they did this with such a small budget and limited actors." or w/e. And now people expect it to be much better because it's supposed to be sponsored and view it as they would a normal show or movie.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Wouldn't have been able to tell that that was Kano without the description, but whatever...
I don't actually think this is that bad, just kinda meh. It was also too short to really get a feel of whether this is representative of the finished thing (hopefully it isn't, 'cos this definitely wasn't as good as Rebirth).

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Um... why was there a rack of grenade launchers just sitting atop of that walkway?

Fighting isn't brutal enough and it doesn't look dark or seedy like the original fan trailer. In fact it looks cheap, not as cheap as that really old live action series, but still cheap.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I'm still trying to figure out why people thought Rebirth was worth their time. It captured, in a couple minutes, nearly everything that makes movies based on games suck. If I didn't know it was real, my first impression would be "Oh good, someone is making a parody to show people what not to do when making a live-action adaptation of a video game." But for some reason it's real and people are going for it, and then they seem surprised when the actual product is showing the first sign of falling flat on its face.

Guys, this thing has already been tried, in the 90s. They called it Super Mario Bros.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I honest-to-goodness thought that Kano was supposed to be Stryker before I read the description.

What a disappointment.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
it's a one minute fucking teaser they released to give people a bit of a taste!

Some of the peoples reactions to this are insane, if I was the crew behind this I wouldn't bother making anything for you, which is also for free might I add.

Ofcourse Kano is generic, this is before he became the character we know. Use your brain. If I had to base the first short film off of the first minute I'd be pretty disinterested too. Can you at least just wait until the first episode comes out before dismissing it? Fucking fans these days.

Also, Mortal Kombat has it's roots extremely in B-Grade Action movies of the late 80's/early 90's so what the hell do you expect from a game which spawned from Van Damme originally?

Seriously, Hollywood should stop listening to what fans want, because you're going to be ungrateful for anything they give you. I'm psyched for the fact that we're finally getting a new live action MK which looks extremely promising.

Also, when writing articles, it's probably best not to shove your own opinion in the headline, at least put it at the bottom of the article if you have to. Just saying, it just looks very amateurish.

I'll reiterate, this is a ONE MINUTE CLIP OF A SERIES YOU ARE GETTING FOR FREE.