Warner Bros. Still Planning On Green Lantern Sequel

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Warner Bros. Still Planning On Green Lantern Sequel

Warner Bros. just won't admit that this movie was a bad idea and let it die.

MovieBob is pretty sure that Green Lantern <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3566-Junk-Drawer-Revisited>isn't going to get a sequel, between its massive budget, underwhelming reviews, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3566-Junk-Drawer-Revisited>rather dismal box office performance. However, sources inside the studio are claiming that Warner Bros. is still planning to make another movie based on the comic franchise.

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Warner Bros. still believes in the money-making potential of Green Lantern. Even though the studio is "somewhat disappointed" at the movie's box office returns, the sequel is apparently still being pushed through. According to the company's president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman, the movie is "settling in", though he apparently explained that "fanboy pics often see a significant drop-off in their second weekends."

That said, Green Lantern's drop-off was pretty steep in its second weekend, down 66% in the United States to $18.4 million. That's way more than either Thor or X-Men: First Class did in their second weekends.

Reportedly, Green Lantern cost $200 million to make (though rumors across the Web claim the number's much higher) and even more to market; this is supposedly one of the most expensive advertising campaigns in movie history. The reason that Warner Bros. is willing to keep on committing money to such a mediocre film project may actually be that it needs new franchises (now that Harry Potter is due to end so soon and Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy will be finished come next year).

What Warner Bros. might want to consider - if this sequel actually happens - is to make the movie into something that's actually good.

Source: <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-pursue-green-lantern-205703>Hollywood Reporter

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I WANT a GOOD Green Lantern movie. I can only hope they do it right the next time around.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
... You know, I didn't see all of it (I got to the show late), but I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying.

It was no means GOOD, but I didn't think it was too bad. Then again, I could have missed something. Eh, who knows.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
OR they could make a sequel to Halle Berry's Catwoman. And dont you dare get rid of Halle Berry

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
To early to call for a reboot?

Kidding kidding.

Movie Bob predicted they would say stuff like this for a few months till the directer pulls out, its the Hollywood strategic withdrawl.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
CM156 said:
... You know, I didn't see all of it (I got to the show late), but I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying.

It was no means GOOD, but I didn't think it was too bad. Then again, I could have missed something. Eh, who knows.
I agree on that. Hell, my grandmother (who's not into comic books in the slightest, btw) said she didn't mind it, but it wasn't as good as Thor. Next movie she's excited for? Captain goddamn America!

But to get back to the topic at hand, if they do decide to do a sequel, I'd like to see them explore the emotional spectrum a little more, maybe feature a certain blue Earth cat with a red ring...

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I never noticed how stupid his feet looked in the costume.
as for a sequel, since I didn't exactly hate the first one, I'd probably give it a shot to surprise me.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
CM156 said:

I think ppl are just bitching more then they should be about it. The movie wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either, it felt like most other super hero origins movie, but had a bit of A.D.D and couldn't focus on a specific plot to develop but in the end was still entertaining enough to watch. Wolverines solo movie was 10X worst then latern and it didn't get as much shit tossed on it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
some of my friends were trying to get me to go to a mall and see a movie with them, but I was like "only if y'all decide to watch something that's not the Green Lantern" so they changed it to Kung Fu Panda 2 and I'm going with them tomorrow...

the only real interest I had in the film was that Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett!) is in it, but I know he only has a small part haha

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
GiantRaven said:
A Green Lantern movie is not a 'bad idea', it was just poorly executed.
Exactly, all the complains about the movie that I have read point to decisions made by people that didn't understand the appeal of the franchise... its not like a good Green Lantern movie can't be done.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
I assumed that Nolan's Batman trilogy was ending, but he was seeding "sequels" in the same vein but with different mains.

Catwoman is being placed into his film, so that's a spin off that's viable - with Robin being introduced in a runalong with the Dark Knight Rises could be very good. Like an observer and silent helper.

Seems a shame to burn the franchise when clearly the dark theme fits perfectly, and plenty of villains still not used. Dr. Freeze and Poison Ivy I'm very keen to see.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Good. I liked the film, it wasn't brilliant but it was okay. A sequel with Sinestro as the main villain could easily be awesome if they learn the lessons from this film.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
To be honest, GL was doomed to be shite from the beginning. One of the scripts had it as a comedy with Jack Black in the lead role for fuck sake.

Axe Ryan Renolds. Just fucking do it, even from the trailers he looks terrible in GL, not to say he can't do good elsewhere, just not in GL. Hal Jordan does not say "I know right?"...ugh. RAAAGE.

The best thing they could do was change Earth GL to John Stewart, Guy Gardener or Kyle Rayner to save face, mix the story up a bit to have Sinestro kill Hal at the start of number 2 (in order for a suitable actor to play the lead role with whichever Human lantern gets picked), and be Nemesis to Rayner or something. I know it's not the proper story, but they can at least pass it off as an alternate timeline because it's so different. That and actually have the rest of the Green Lantern Corps in it this time.

That and change the outfit to just be a standard outfit, designed by whoever did the designs for Batman, it'll look good that way without looking out of place, or costing them a fortune in terrible looking CGI.

Besides we still have the upcoming GL series made by Bruce Timm, which is going to kick ass, I'm not fond of the animation style, but I'm sure the rest of it will be as solid as the rest of his work.

While we're at it, relaunch Justice League damn it!