Warner Commands Mortal Kombat: Rebirth Director to Finish It

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Warner Commands Mortal Kombat: Rebirth Director to Finish It

The sweet live-action Mortal Kombat trailer that circulated in 2010 is being made into a new web series.

When Mortal Kombat: Rebirth first hit the scene in summer of 2010, Mortal Kombat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away] movie. Rebirth isn't being made into a movie, but Warner has greenlit an upcoming web series based on the concept.

Bloody Disgusting reports that Rebirth director Kevin Tancharoen will return to his Mortal Kombat vision for a 10-episode web series officially approved by Warner. Michael Jai White will return as "Jax" Briggs, but the rest of the cast hasn't been confirmed yet.

Mortal Kombat: Rebirth featured a new look at what a live-action Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0J998/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0790729997&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JY2SS28DWA6C0BH88W0] production could pull off, without any corniness. The basic storyline of the trailer followed the revival of a Mortal Kombat tournament, with Jax requesting that the man known as Scorpion enter and kill every entrant. To sweeten the pot, Jax throws in the location of Sub-Zero, Scorpion's most hated foe. Other characters expected to appear are Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Sub Zero, Durak, Kabal, and Kitana/Mileena.

With Rebirth as a web series, maybe Tancharoen can retain enough control to continue what made its trailer so special. Shooting will begin this February in Vancouver. My only word of advice: Less closeups of Reptile's gross mouth.

Source: io9 [http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23052]

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I loved this movie! Easily my favourite short film of the year and my 7th favourite film of 2010. I will definitely watch the web series. I heard a rumour that Scott Adkins will be playing Sub-Zero; if this is true than my anticipation of this film is heightened even more.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
As I said in a forum topic about it, I'm hugely excited about this. It should be an awesome web series and one of the best (if not the best). Maybe it could even lead to a big screen film done in the future.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I don't care how long it takes. Actually come through and finish it. It could easily be the best MK film ever. Well, so far... it is the best one.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
AWESOME! That short film was amazing, so seeing more of it's something to look forward to.

I kind of expected this, I mean is was a very well made little film, WB would've been stupid to not want to do anything more with it.

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Holy shit dude. This..is..perhaps, THE best, Video game to live action adaption..In a genre that has had like maybe..ONE decent movie, and the rest all crap..This stands out as much as a stripper in a Church town.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
And this is why Warner Bros. is one of the coolest studios in my book. Methinks they are doing this as a test of the waters, see what kind of response it pulls.

Hopefully Jeri Ryan comes back on board as well, and both her and Michael keep their schedules open for when (my money's on it with this unexpected move happening) Warner greenlights the big movie.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Looks incredible, finally, something that has a chance to do the potential MK has justice. Also, why does Johnny Cage always, always die?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I like the more real-world setting, and Scorpion as an anti-hero is interesting. Definitely one to watch.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You'll forgive me if I'm not expecting much. Everything about this trailer screams of trying too hard. I suppose that's better than the original MK movies, which weren't trying at all, but I still don't expect greatness out of this franchise.