Warning: Don't Play Dance Central Naked

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Warning: Don't Play Dance Central Naked

Your Xbox 360 Kinect unit will take pictures of you dancing to Dance Central, whether you're wearing clothes or not.

Since its gala launch earlier this week, Microsoft's Kinect peripheral for the Xbox 360 has been put through its paces by press and consumers alike. The new hardware has been revealed to have some startlingly bizarre and unexpected benefits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105046-Kinect-Plus-Night-Vision-Goggles-Equals-Crazy-Headtrip], but it's also been revealed to have some unexpected flaws. Some users have reported that Kinect has trouble recognizing them depending on circumstances like the lighting - but not, it turns out, if you aren't wearing anything at all.

One unlucky gamer posted an inquiry into what may be the most hilarious Kinect-related incident yet [http://www.dancecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?118-How-Do-I-DELETE-the-Picutres-Taken-During-Danc] to the Dance Central support forums. The user asked how to delete the pictures the system automatically snaps while you're busting a move. Why?

They posted:

[blockquote]I was trying out the Kinect Dance Central game and I was getting hot so I took off my clothee [sic]. I had no idea that the game was going to take A BUNCH OF PICTURES OF ME WHILE DANCING WITH NO CLOTHES ON!!! I can go back and look at these pictures but HOW DO I DELETE THEM?!!! HELP!!!![/blockquote]

Your Xbox 360 will watch you dance, no matter what you're wearing. It will take pictures. What does it do with these pictures? No one knows. Maybe it browses through them at night. While you sleep.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future is here.

And it is embarrassing.

(via @DeliciousBees on Twitter [http://twitter.com/deliciousbees/statuses/647427237355520])

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
John Funk said:
Your Xbox 360 will watch you dance, no matter what you're wearing. It will take pictures. What does it do with these pictures? No one knows. Maybe it browses through them at night. While you sleep.
Why does that sound like a tag line to some kind of Kinect-oriented horror-stalker movie?

I dunno, but I'd watch it.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
*insert obligatory THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE PUT OUR LIVES IN THE HANDS OF ROBOTS here*

To be quite honest, I do think the whole concept of automatically uploading photos was always going to be a stupid idea.

Also VGCats called it.

Apr 28, 2008
HA!

And this is why I don't use anything that can do what it wants without any input.

And if I do use one that is automated, I make sure I can throw it out of my window if needed.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008

Wow, dancin' naked, eh? S/He could have come up with a better excuse than "I was hot", I mean, we all know s/he just wanted to dance nekkid.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
The bizarre twist is, these pictures will eventually appear in a bonus stage of Child of Eden. Unlock it at your peril!

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Aww, poor guy. I can't say I blame him, I remember playing EyeToy back when it was cool. It got hot, and I'm sure if I had been home alone playing I probably would have done the same.

It's kinda stupid if the didn't include an option to delete the pictures. Hopefully there's a way to turn off the auto photography.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
So basically a gaming device with a crapload of cameras in it takes pictures of you and stores them...

In other news: People can see stuff you post on sites life Facebook!!

Filed under: Common fucking sense. It always amazes me how people don't understand how technology works.

megamanenm

Apr 7, 2009
sunami88 said:
So basically a gaming device with a crapload of cameras in it takes pictures of you and stores them...

In other news: People can see stuff you post on sites life Facebook!!

Filed under: Common fucking sense. It always amazes me how people don't understand how technology works.
There is a big difference between posting something yourself and having the game take pictures by itself. I sure as hell hope they said that the camera would take pictures.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Oh man, someone quick snag the domain for KinectFail.com so we have a place to upload all of these pictures that it takes of you automatically.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You can drop the "naked" part from the headline and just say "Warning: Don't Play Dance Central." Same effect really. Naked pictures of yourself is just icing on the poo-flavored cake of listening to bad music and moving around like you're some kind of mentally challenged monkey while thinking that crap you're doing is dancing.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I had little interest in Natal before and now I think I'll avoid them outright, going so far as to steer clear of in-store demos. I don't normally do a Gribble but, that's a bit too creepy for me. It isn't that I game naked, I just don't want to be recorded as I game.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
HAHAHA BRILLIANT! Man, the Kinect is turning out sooo much better than I thought it would. And it's giving me free entertainment!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
mjc0961 said:
You can drop the "naked" part from the headline and just say "Warning: Don't Play Dance Central." Same effect really. Naked pictures of yourself is just icing on the poo-flavored cake of listening to bad music and moving around like you're some kind of mentally challenged monkey while thinking that crap you're doing is dancing.
You might not like it, but their are 6 Billion(?) more people in this world, and quite a few are bound to like them.