WARNING! this is a real threat to basic human freedoms!

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/10023-senate-passes-controversial-defense-bill

yes, you read that right.
the senate has pushed forth an act that gives the military the ability to throw you in jail without cause, conviction, or end on mere suspicion.
and we though SOPA was the biggest threat to freedom.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Did anyone REALLY think SOPA was the biggest threat to our freedom?

This is disturbing, mind. Just saying.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
You'd think Stalin and Hitler both doing that in the past would have tipped them off that it's kind of a totalitarian policy.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Good news, Obama has already said he's going to Veto the military thing into the dirt should he ever find it on his desk.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Call me silly but this seems pretty unconstitutional. Even if it isnt, imagine how many loopholes they would have to go through to word it properly and get a pass. It seems like it will only be a matter of time before they try to disregard the constitution entirely. Hopefully it will get shot down.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Um guys don't start panicking yet this still has to get through the house, the signed by the president, then if it get that far it'll be taken up buy the supreme court, so let's not go nuts yet, more likely than not this bill will be destroyed soon enough, America has enough checks and balances that bullshit like this doesn't last long.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Wow, when Rand Paul is the voice of reason... just wow.

But hell, they already passed the PATRIOT ACT, why would anyone expect they would give a shit about the constitution?

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
Joseph Alexander said:
Fanfic_warper said:
Wait for it, Supreme Court's going to bring the hammer down on this one.
like they did on the patriot act?
Personally I think the Patriot Act has plausability. This though, is going much farther than what the Patriot Act does.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
This will never hold up. It's in clear violation of Amendment 4 (and possibly at least two others, but I'm too tired to do extensive research at the moment).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ah, we love you America.

From a distance.

A really looong distance.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Dont forget that the military also come under another set of laws, in which escalation of force, and necessity play a huge part. This doesn't mean that Military Police can just go around arresting people for fun, as they would be court marshalled and punished for the offence. They would have to do it for good reason, and for what rules of engagement apply. I expect it was passed to allow the military police to deal with protestors, and other nuisances more efficiently, without a further risk to operations and or lives. (Some of the things that protesters around airbases do is just plain stupid and dangerous to their own and others lives!)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Joseph Alexander said:
Fanfic_warper said:
Wait for it, Supreme Court's going to bring the hammer down on this one.
like they did on the patriot act?
I think it's safe to say there is quite a bit of difference between listening in on somebody's conversation without a warrant and detaining them without rights or probable cause for an indefinite period of time.

Anyway, though it is relieving Obama isn't even considering signing off on it, it's pretty disturbing that the congress and senate would both pass it in the first place. I mean really, who the fuck are these people we've elected?

matoasters

Jun 7, 2010
Obama's gonna veto it. No one in their right mind would let this pass. Obama may be a pussy when it comes to dealing with congress, but he's still in his right mind. Hopefully.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
They pass this but they won't pass my proposed bill to allow American citizens to kill police officers?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
The most infringing and frightening of laws tend to be the ones that are just railroaded past without any real fanfare. But this seems to be a rising trend, slowly chipping away at people's rights to gather and protest around the world, which is really frightening, while also rather perplexing when the western world tend to loudly condemn third-world nations whenever they crack down on their populations.

Admittadly, it's not exactly in the same scope, but it is still a worrying trend that deserves a good eye. It's little wonder that it scoots by in the aftermath of the OWS-movement, while many that would protest against it are too rattled by the events to raise an issue.

Hopefully, Obama will do what he should as a democratically elected leader and veto it. It strikes the same sort of cord that the SOPA-lobbyists did when they used the fact that the internet still works in Iran and China as a positive arguement, as if that is what we should strive towards.

And just to add perspective, this certainly isn't unique to America. I believe the Danish police force were equipped with new legislation as preparations were being made for the Copenhagen climate summit. As were the Swedish police before (and more so after) the 2001 EU summit riots of Gothenburg. Just as a reminder, keep an eye on your polititians, folks. They might very well succeed otherwise.

Vlywncint

Nov 23, 2011
I'm going to be blunt. No single individual really has any rights/freedoms/entitlement. They are an illusion made by masses to help prevent chaos from destroying systems that generations took to establish that form your living conditions. While there may be consequences for violating these illusions, they can still be violated. When the ones in power decide that the rules need to change, they change them. Every system on this planet has some form of corruption within it. It's a fact we have to learn to live with while we do the best we can to reduce its impact. In the words of one who will not be named for now: "Learn to play the game or become a pawn of it. The choice is yours."