WARNING! this is a real threat to basic human freedoms!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
kiwi_poo said:
don't worry, guys! historically we should be able to overthrow these retarded governments in about 30 to 60 years.
Ahh, but by then I'll be 50 or 80 and I won't feel like doing that anymore.
Stupid revolution taking so long to get here.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
The courts do not have a track record in favor of these bills. They are deemed unconstitutional. Will most likely not work in the courts.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Yep, the world is going downhill quite fast isnt it? Luckily for me I decided to be for the whole "Liberal" thing before it was blatantly correct AKA right about now. Because seriously, no one in their right mind can argue these are Liberal ideas. NOTE: Right mind.

So yeah, welcome to all the new Liberals and err... maybe you want to do something about this crap?

ks1234

Mar 12, 2011
Zhukov said:
Ah, we love you America.

From a distance.

A really looong distance.
LMFAO! Yet another post that makes me wish The Escapist had a "like" button for comments.
Yeah, when I saw this earlier tonight, I was all like "wtf... I really hope I don't piss off the government if this passes" and trust me, i'm actually kind-of worried it will. More and more shit that encroaches on our basic rights and freedoms is passing into law based on the 'terrorist threat'.
Maybe i'll move to some place where I don't have to worry about this kind of shit... I hear Canada is nice this time of year.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
2012 Wont Happen said:
Sexy Devil said:
You'd think Stalin and Hitler both doing that in the past would have tipped them off that it's kind of a totalitarian policy.
Come now, such a comparison is an insult to good old Comrade Stalin.
Yeah! Stalins holocaust was 6-8 million Ukrainians, not Jews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Oh, you Americans and your raging hypocrisy! Although I'm one to talk, my country is run by a man who assumes that everyone who isn't rich enough to buy a second home deserves to die of starvation.

Robert Sanders

Jul 9, 2011
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
White_Lama said:
Your American politicians are crazy.
Please, please don't remind me... oops, too late.

Captcha: Voloaou ()%2;. Didn't have enough vowels and symbols for my taste.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Zhukov said:
Ah, we love you America.

From a distance.

I dunno, I see it as a car crash.
sure, you don't want to be in the car when it crashes, but on the other hand, you'd rather be in the car instead of in front of it.

Sep 13, 2010
I read a couple other articles about this and it doesn't seem as bad as the linked site made it out to be, still quite bad mind you, but not as bad. It has something to do with the ability to declare american citizens "Enemy Combatants" which voids their rights to a lawyer and all that good stuff.

that's what I got out of it anyway, It's difficult to understand.

Pointer

Mar 19, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
Good news, Obama has already said he's going to Veto the military thing into the dirt should he ever find it on his desk.
He physically can't. The Senate overrides this naturally. All there needs to be is 2/3 consensus to push a vetoed bill into law.

May 5, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Sylvine said:
Did any one of You bother to actually check sections 1031 and 1032, or did You all just assume. Oh! It says so on teh internets! Must be true, then!...?

Under 1031:
"(d) CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION ON APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES PERSONS.
?The authority to detain a person under this section does not extend to the
detention of citizens or lawful resident aliens of the United
States on the basis of conduct taking place within the
United States except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States."

Under 1032:
"(b) REQUIREMENT INAPPLICABLE TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS.
?The requirement to detain a person in military custody
under this section does not extend to
citizens of the United States."

Source: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s1253rs/pdf/BILLS-112s1253rs.pdf

So, yeah. Goddamn it, I'm not even a citizen of the US. Do Your own research?

~Sylv
THIS!! Enough with the fucking scaremongering already!!
Quoted for truth. Hopefully a few people will read this and-

Oh, who am I kidding? This is the Escapist. They always do the exact same thing when this happens:

DOUCHE 1: Look at this news article from a questionable source! Something really horrible has happened/is happening now!
DOUCHE 2: I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
DOUCHE 3: Lost faith in humanity!
DOUCHE 4: America, lol.
REASONABLE HUMAN BEING: Good news, everyone! Look at this new piece of info that proves the first guy was talking out of his ass, and this news isn't actually nearly as bad as it seems! Good news, right?
DOUCHE 4: "I don't want to live on this planet anymore." Good point, DOUCHE 2! Neither do I! Humanity/Possibly just America sucks!
DOUCHE 5: Censorship, death of freedom, 1984, Guy Fawkes, etc etc!!
DOUCHE 6: "Censorship, death of freedom, 1984, Guy Fawkes etc etc!!" That was a moving speech. DOUCHE 5 is a master wordsmith!
REASONABLE 2: Hey, look at what REASONABLE 1 said! This seems REALLY RELEVANT.
DOUCHE 7: Lost faith in humanity!
DOUCHE 8: The world now sucks! I hate humanity! Except for myself, of course.
REASONABLE 3: Seriously, look at REASONABLE 1's post! This is actually not that bad at all!
DOUCHE 9: America, lol!
DOUCHE 10: I don't want to liv-Ah, ninja'd!
REASONABLE 1, 2, and 3: *facepalm*

NOTE: Obviously joking, mods. This is the Escapist! Each and every one of our members is a genius who deserves to have their thoughts made public. Not insulting anyone specific with this post. No need for offensive action.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
And that's my cue to get out of the US as soon as I can. Any escapists from Japan looking for a roommate?

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
2733 said:
I read a couple other articles about this and it doesn't seem as bad as the linked site made it out to be, still quite bad mind you, but not as bad. It has something to do with the ability to declare american citizens "Enemy Combatants" which voids their rights to a lawyer and all that good stuff.

that's what I got out of it anyway, It's difficult to understand.
The concept that 'enemy combatants' are not 'prisoners of war' is what baffles me most about american law.

Also, the constitution doesn't differentiate between citizens and non-citizens. All are protected under the law.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
So this is a country where a coperation can make you sign a contract saying you cant sue them.
Where congress tried to pass a bill where coperations could take down websites without justification.
Where peace protestors are brutalised because their message could maybe be possibly potentially damaging to some senators invesments.
And where congress tried to pass a bill to dentain people without trial, indefinately.

I know britain is fucked up at the moment but seriously? I'd hate to think what would happen if the republicans win the election

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
While this thankfully doesn't turn the US into a police state yet due to reasons that have been mentioned in the thread, anyone claiming this bill is anything but bad news deserve a kick in the nuts.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Zhukov said:
Ah, we love you America.

From a distance.

Yes we do. I'm glad there's a huge ocean between me and America.

OT: This is nuts. I'm not an American but doesn't it violate those Amendment thingys?

javelinstark

Sep 19, 2011
first healthcare and the commerce clause and now this!
next thing i know i wont be able to listen to slayer or watch my little pony or even play xbox without government suspicion
the terrorism is becoming the communism scare all over again.
i hear sweden is nice

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Krantos said:
Well, time to move. Where's a good place?

*looks at the EU*
eh, nope.
There are several good countries in the EU to move to which retains decent rights for the civilian population. You don't have to move in with the British or those Italian or French bastards you know :p

Without wishing to flaunt my own country, most Scandinavian Countries are great (although there is an obvious language barrier). Sweden is great, so is Norway (except things up there is rather expensive), Denmark and Finland. Those are countries with working democracies, low corruption (according to Transparacy Internationals newly released 2011 Corruption Index Report), cheap high-speed internet connections (especially in Sweden), low crime rates and hot girls.

In the civil rights department we offer stuff like police that are less brutal and aren't allowed to lie to you, laws which are basically pussy-whipped (which actually sucks since hardcore criminals can't be punished like they deserve) and politicians who are just incompetent rather than raving lunatics.

We also offer sucky weather, high taxes, insane car prices and a food culture that while not spicy isn't hung up on fast food. Come join us!