Warning - Windows 8.1 has problems with gaming mice.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
I was about to upgrade to Windows 8.1, but fortunately saw the story's below, before performing the upgrade. I am thanking my lucky stars I did not, after reading the below.

http://www.firstever.eu/en/windows-8-1-not-for-gamers/
http://www.pcgamesn.com/windows-81-mouse-lag-reportedly-renders-some-pc-games-close-unplayable
http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/1oor43/windows_81_warning_for_gamers_issues_with/
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/45259/windows-8-1-fix-for-mouse-lag-in-games/

It looks like Windows 8.1's new dpi scaling feature ( http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/07/15/windows-8-1-dpi-scaling-enhancements.aspx ), has put a polling limit in place for gaming mice of under 200 hz. Gaming mice with previous OS's, are capable of being polled up to 1000hz. This polling rate is available in most decent drivers, e.g selectable for mice from Razer and Logitech. If the polling is reduced, it brings in input lag into games.

From the links above it appears that games that take raw mouse input, are not affected, games that do not and use direct input will now feel laggy to those who have mice that normally run at high poll rates.

A work around is also in the links, but is not always successful.

Until this is resolved, I won't be upgrading and wanted to warn the community about this issue.

Whether this will be resolved by Microsoft or the gaming mouse companies via driver updates, is not clear at the moment. If it is just that the why that the hook that the drivers have to use, has now changed, it is disappointing that mouse companies have not updated their drivers during the preview and 'release to manufacturing' phases of the software's release. That is the whole point of the phases in the release cycle.

If it is that Microsoft have killed the function, then they have really shot themselves in the foot. PC gamers are probably are probably about the only group keeping the PC market moving, to the small extent it is. You don't win back customers (the point of 8.1), by screwing one of the major constituents of that market.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
What the fuck is wrong with Microsoft? They've been doing this crap for decades and they still don't know how to properly implement mouse features for PC gamers. That's just pure incompetence.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
I highly doubt that PC gamers are what is keeping the pc alive. I´d wager it is more regular users and companies that use their computers for little more than video, work and internet and maybe a few flash games. Personally I am more than happy with 8.1. It adds the customization options that was lacking in the original windows 8 release. (Letting me boot to desktop, go directly to "all apps" in the start screen, letting the start screen use my desktop background, etc). All releases will have bugs especially when it comes to things that concern very few people like gaming mice.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
What with Win8 and the Xbone, Microsoft are just fucking themselves over.

Bill Gates must be steaming with rage at all the bullshit decisions they have made recently.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Atrocious Joystick said:
I highly doubt that PC gamers are what is keeping the pc alive. I´d wager it is more regular users and companies that use their computers for little more than video, work and internet and maybe a few flash games. Personally I am more than happy with 8.1. It adds the customization options that was lacking in the original windows 8 release. (Letting me boot to desktop, go directly to "all apps" in the start screen, letting the start screen use my desktop background, etc). All releases will have bugs especially when it comes to things that concern very few people like gaming mice.
Defensive much? You act like I am telling people to never upgrade because Windows 8.1 is rubbish. Not all, did you read the beginning of my post? Until I saw the stories, I was getting my PC ready to upgrade from Windows 8.

The warning was that anyone who is very sensitive to their mouse response probably needs to sit it out for a while. And that the point of manufacturers getting the code some months before consumers, is to sort stuff like this before consumers get the code. Otherwise you may as well release it as soon as it is ready.

Also when I make a statement about how important PC gamers are to the PC market, I am not pulling the fact out of my butt.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/08/07/for-struggling-pc-market-its-pc-gamers-to-the-rescue/

Anyone who is only surfing for videos and the internet are lost to tablets now. Companies buy lower end machines where the hardware does not make much of a margin, hardly any corperate is moving to windows 8 in a big way. PC gamers are the ones buying high margin parts like Nvidia and ATI graphics cards etc. Also companies have stopped updating as much as the extra power is not needed. At my multi-national our 3 year old machines would normally be out of warranty and replaced. Instead their warranties are just being extended.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Defensive much? You act like I am telling people to never upgrade because Windows 8.1 is rubbish. Not all, did you read the beginning of my post? Until I saw the stories, I was getting my PC ready to upgrade from Windows 8.

The warning was that anyone who is very sensitive to their mouse response probably needs to sit it out for a while. And that the point of manufacturers getting the code some months before consumers, is to sort stuff like this before consumers get the code. Otherwise you may as well release it as soon as it is ready.

Also when I make a statement about how important PC gamers are to the PC market, I am not pulling the fact out of my butt.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/08/07/for-struggling-pc-market-its-pc-gamers-to-the-rescue/

Anyone who is only surfing for videos and the internet are lost to tablets now. Companies buy lower end machines where the hardware does not make much of a margin, hardly any corperate is moving to windows 8 in a big way. PC gamers are the ones buying high margin parts like Nvidia and ATI graphics cards etc. Also companies have stopped updating as much as the extra power is not needed. At my multi-national our 3 year old machines would normally be out of warranty and replaced. Instead their warranties are just being extended.
Sorry if I came off as defensive, tone doesn't really translate well over the internet. I was actually just trying to give my experience with the update and trying to comment that most people don't really use a gaming mouse even if they do use their pc for games which would explain why higher end mice got broke so to speak. The comment about the pc market was something I just assumed so thanks for correcting that.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for letting us know. I wasn't able to update yet and I'm glad I didn't.

I believe after failing with Games for Windows they are trying to find new ways to sabotage PC gaming.