Warren Spector: Deus Ex "Is Not Done For Me"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Warren Spector: Deus Ex "Is Not Done For Me"

Warren Spector might be going full Deus Ex [http://gameinformer.com/epicmickey] stories" from him at some point in the future.

Spector has made some pretty awesome games over the years, none more so than Deus Ex, his millennial tale of a crumbling near-future Earth which mixed numerous outrageous conspiracy theories with a sluggish, dated game engine, muddy textures, ugly models and absolutely god-awful voice acting, and somehow came up with an explosive bundle of pure, mind-blowing awesomeness as a result. Naturally, fans everywhere were disappointed when he announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84528-Warren-Spector-Is-Tired-Of-Leather-Clad-Men] in June of last year that he was "tired of making games about guys in black leather carrying guns." It was, by all appearances, the last nail in the coffin.

But maybe not. In a recent interview with DC Comics [http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/11/behind-the-scenes-at-epic-mickey-part-one.html], and a near-future sci-fi title described as a "spiritual successor to Deus Ex in many ways."

"There were and still are Deus Ex stories I would like to tell. That story is not done for me," Spector said. "[For the sci-fi game] I sort of filed the serial numbers off. Deus Ex was very much a game of the millennium."

The possibility of more Deus Ex isn't just wishful thinking; Spector also said that while his own attempts to secure the rights to the franchise from Eidos [http://www.eidos.com] were unsuccessful, Disney was able to pick them up when it purchased Junction Point in 2007. Disney Deus Ex, anyone?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
EDIT (because I misread): This would be pretty damn awesome if he can go back to it. Even though I liked Invisible War I do have to admit it is a bit unsatisfying as a sequel.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
AceDiamond said:
EDIT (because I misread): This would be pretty damn awesome if he can go back to it. Even though I liked Invisible War I do have to admit it is a bit unsatisfying as a sequel.
I thought it kind of took everything we loved from DX 1...and completely ignored it. Much like what Ubisoft are doing with DX3, only they're bashing DX 1 as well.

I hate jumping the gun, but I do wish death upon Ubisoft Montreal at this point. Cover system?

Just keep it with JC please, Warren, and then I'd love you long time.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
So maybe doing epic mickey was just a play to get the rights to Deus Ex back?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
You cant change or remake Deus Ex! Its liek trying to make total darkness even darker! Disney would, put a bit bluntly, rape the eyes out from behind Denton's shades.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Hold the phone. I thought Deus Ex 3 was in development? I remember seeing a trailer for it I think on Gametrailers.

Did that happen, or am I going crazy?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Jonny49 said:
Hold the phone. I thought Deus Ex 3 was in development? I remember seeing a trailer for it I think on Gametrailers.

Did that happen, or am I going crazy?
Yeah, but hopefully it'll get cancelled. The lead designer said the first one was boring due to 'too much talking, not enough shooting'.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Malygris said:
...a sluggish, dated game engine, muddy textures, ugly models and absolutely god-awful voice acting...
I hope you're being sarcastic. Deus Ex had decent graphics at it's time and the voice acting is excellent even for todays standards.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
puuuut on your trenchoat
and fiiiiight some conspiracies

All in all, Deus Ex has everything I like in a game: even though it's sluggish, weird and ugly-looking, it's still one of the most awesome games ever. Although the cyberpunk movement has fallen out of grace in the intervening years.

And Deus Ex does have a little too much talking. When I was playing, I realized at a point that my character was having a complex conversation about economical liberties with some random bartender that had greeted him.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
Malygris said:
...a sluggish, dated game engine, muddy textures, ugly models and absolutely god-awful voice acting...
I hope you're being sarcastic. Deus Ex had decent graphics at it's time and the voice acting is excellent even for todays standards.
Seconded. At the time, the graphics more than did their job. Plus, I'm sure the old "gameplay over graphics" adage still stood back then. Regardless of graphical quality, the Ocean lab area was still one of the most memorable sections in the game, if you ask me.

Anyway, another "real" DX game from Warren Spector would be a good thing. I just wonder what form it would take. The fact that DX3 is a prequel to even the original is bound to be partly down to the fact that it would really be impossible to merge the multiple endings of Invisible War into one as they did with the original. It makes me wonder where yet another DX game could go, if not the future. Though as the past (in Deus Ex times) is being done too there is still always the "present".

Edit: As The Random One above stated, it is true that since the original DX (and The Matrix films), the whole cyberpunk/Matrix-style people in long black trenchcoats isn't quite as in as it used to be. Definitely time for a change in style methinks.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
I'm holding onto a distant hope that Dues Ex will get a remake. That doesn't look like what he's talking about however.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
He needs to team up with Richard Garriot again and do more RPGs in the vein of "Savage Empire" and "Martian Dreams". :)

Doctor Spector FTW! :)

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Malygris said:
Deus Ex? Good voice acting?

Anyway, good to hear we might be getting a spiritual sequel to Deus Ex. There aren't many games around quite like Deus Ex, even today.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I thought the title said "Warren Spector: Deus Ex is Not Done for me". Oh, was I happy to read it wasn't so.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
sgtshock said:
Tiamat666 said:
Malygris said:
Deus Ex? Good voice acting?
HAHAhAHAHAHA man oh man I forgot how HORRIBLE the npc's were acted. man it's just too funny! somehow, it actually adds to the charm of the game (but might keep me from playing it a fifth time!)

I'm with Tiamat about the graphics, tho. Unreal engine was cutting edge for it's time, and Deus Ex's large scale required that they keep things kinda simple. But... yea, what a fucken ugly game! (looks AND sounds ugly!) I gotta say... I was in a thread last night arguing that Half-Life 1 has aged well... it's graphics are bright and crisp and it's available in a modern format ya know? THIS however... this is starting to prune up. BUT YOU ALL NEED TO GO PLAY IT - DO IT. You need to wrap your tiny little heads around how a game this fucked up, ugly, and poorly produced could go on to become Game of the Year 1999 - it's still good (in the same way that Half-Life is still really good!)

J C Denton, in deh fresh! oh my fuckin gawd... and I remember hearing that fool in the Hell's Kitchen bar going off on "I spill my drink!" like a majestic bastard the whole time I'm looking around!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
AceDiamond said:
I thought it kind of took everything we loved from DX 1...and completely ignored it. Much like what Ubisoft are doing with DX3, only they're bashing DX 1 as well.
It didn't ignore the story, in fact I think considering the fact DX1 had 3 endings the compromise they went with was decent enough. Everything else was a bit of a crap shoot though.

300lb. Samoan said:
I'm with Tiamat about the graphics, tho. Unreal engine was cutting edge for it's time, and Deus Ex's large scale required that they keep things kinda simple. But... yea, what a fucken ugly game! (looks AND sounds ugly!) I gotta say... I was in a thread last night arguing that Half-Life 1 has aged well... it's graphics are bright and crisp and it's available in a modern format ya know? THIS however... this is starting to prune up. BUT YOU ALL NEED TO GO PLAY IT - DO IT. You need to wrap your tiny little heads around how a game this fucked up, ugly, and poorly produced could go on to become Game of the Year 1999 - it's still good (in the same way that Half-Life is still really good!)
So you mean to tell me a dystopian future where the working class is really ass-poor and disease-ravaged should be all sunshine and rainbows then? Yeah good luck with that. As to the bad voice acting, congratulations, you took all of Hong Kong and a few bad quotes from other places that make up maybe 10% of the dialogue if that, the other 90% is much better. I'm really getting fed up with people who think anything that is more than 6 months old is immediately shit and not worth anyone's time anymore. Do you know when it was I last played Deus Ex, end to end? 2008. Did I think it looked like shit? No. Did I think the voice acting was bad? In Hong Kong, yes. Anywhere else, not so much. My only real complaint was that it made no sense for a super augmented agent to have to wait 5 seconds to draw a bead on someone with a pistol. You think some time at the range would've fixed that.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
AceDiamond said:
So you mean to tell me a dystopian future where the working class is really ass-poor and disease-ravaged should be all sunshine and rainbows then? Yeah good luck with that. As to the bad voice acting, congratulations, you took all of Hong Kong and a few bad quotes from other places that make up maybe 10% of the dialogue if that, the other 90% is much better. I'm really getting fed up with people who think anything that is more than 6 months old is immediately shit and not worth anyone's time anymore. Do you know when it was I last played Deus Ex, end to end? 2008. Did I think it looked like shit? No. Did I think the voice acting was bad? In Hong Kong, yes. Anywhere else, not so much. My only real complaint was that it made no sense for a super augmented agent to have to wait 5 seconds to draw a bead on someone with a pistol. You think some time at the range would've fixed that.
Clam down, chief. Didn't I just say every one needs to play this game? I've got news for you though, it's a great game that looks like shit and features at least two hours of poor voice acting. J C Denton's voice artist, however, one of my favorites of all time. But that shit in Hong-Kong is GENUINELY BAD, and it is actually part of the game. In fact it's a significant chunk of the game. And I'll tell you something else, there's a difference between 'appropriately dark and drab' and "this game is fuckin' ugly." Deus Ex is one of my all time favorites, one of the greatest 20+ hours of play ever released. But it's not perfect.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Uh, then make another one that is started on the PC and not the consoles. That is all I have to say Warren.