Warren Spector Wants Fans to Help Him Make Epic Mickey HD

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Warren Spector Wants Fans to Help Him Make Epic Mickey HD

The creator of Epic Mickey believes gamers without a Wii should still play the series from the very beginning.

Epic Mickey <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8393-Review-Epic-Mickey>may have had its problems at release, but it still holds a fond place in the hearts of many fans, including creator Warren Spector. While gearing up for the sequel, Spector has also been <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116508-Warren-Spector-Desperately-Wants-Epic-Mickey-on-360-and-PS3>pushing for a high-definition re-release of the original to give Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 players the chance to experience the series on their own consoles. During a conversation with Joystiq, Spector revealed that he's already made a pitch to Disney, but isn't sure it will be enough to get the project off the ground. Instead, Spector is asking Disney fans and gamers alike to contact Disney to impress upon them that Epic Mickey HD is a game that should be made available to all.

"It's been about four or five days since I've asked to get that project greenlit. It's not my call to make," Spector told Joystiq at Gamescom. "I can't even tell you how much I want to see the first game with all the enhancements and improvements we've made on Xbox 360 and PS3 ... Just have all of your readers send emails to Disney corporation and say: 'Warren should make this game.'"

While Epic Mickey was a promising concept, and sold well enough to encourage the development of a sequel, the game received enough gameplay criticisms to make Disney skeptical of investing in a port for other consoles. Spector still believes there is an market for a re-release (his love of classic Disney franchises is proof enough), but that alone may not be enough to convince publishers to sign off on it. "There's only so much clout," Spector continued. "When you're talking about the kind of money games cost now, there's only so much you can do."

While most gamers are more familiar with Spector's work on Deus Ex and System Shock, he is also incredibly passionate about Disney properties. Outside of Epic Mickey, Spector also branched out of gaming to write <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107837-Warren-Spectors-One-Step-Closer-To-a-DuckTales-Game>the Duck Tales comic series, a franchise he'd also love to design for if given the chance. "I want to make a duck game and I want to see Epic Mickey on next-gen platforms."

If you agree with the man, here's <a href=https://twitter.com/Disney>the official Disney Twitter feed for your consideration. And while you're at it, maybe put in a good word for that Duck Tales game.

Source: Joystiq

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
The problem is, gamers without a Wii don't WANT to play the series from the beginning.
I'm a gamer with a Wii, and I'd be a lot more interested in playing it if there were a HD version with stuff like the broken camera fixed. Of course, they don't seem particularly inclined to release it for the PC, so unfortunately it won't do much good for me if this does end up happening.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...What fans?

Not to beat the old tire, but... using Yahtzee's summery of it: Who was this game MADE FOR?

...My little brother of 8 years old clearly wasn't enamored with it, holding no nostalgia with Mickey Mouse.

And I didn't enjoy the story OR game-play even WITH my fond memories of Mr Mouse.

Just stick to cameos in Kingdom Hearts Mickey. At least there your LACK of physical presence paints you a bit more mysteriously and we enjoy you all the more.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
well at least we got them duck tales to look forward to

the reboot of duck tales is the last sign on the apocalypse shopping list

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
You know damn well an HD release isn't actually going to fix anything, Just ad a few more levels of rendering to make Mickey's eye lashes really pop out.
That's usually but not always the case. I haven't been following the sequel very closely, but I was hoping from "I can't even tell you how much I want to see the first game with all the enhancements and improvements we've made on Xbox 360 and PS3." that that included at least a camera that worked, if nothing else. That might be overly optimistic on my part, but other games/series have had a few small changes here and there going between the Wii and other consoles sometimes.

Cobalt Lion

Nov 4, 2010
Okay, well I'd like my fans (not that I have any) to help make me rich. Something else that probably won't happen.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Nope. Not gonna happen. People hated Epic Mickey as soon as the steampunk concept art was ditched for the rip-off Kingdom Hearts atmosphere.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Nope. Not gonna happen. People hated Epic Mickey as soon as the steampunk concept art was ditched for the rip-off Kingdom Hearts atmosphere.
I liked it.
Very much so

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
zombie711 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I liked it.
Very much so
Not saying it was a game you couldn't like, but it was a major slap in the face to people when the first concept art came out. It looked awesome. It looked like a Disney world for those who grew up watching Disney and wanted to see a more, not mature, but a "progressed" take on the Disney Universe. Then the game came out and turned out to be an Okami ripoff combined with Super Mario Sunshine. Not a bad game (except for the cameras) but it wasn't the game that people originally thought they were getting.