Was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Really That Good?

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
This week's Slightly Civil War episode is out! Go have a look and let's start the debate.

And here's the podcast link.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
BotW has been one of those games I've been on the fence for. On one hand, all the good things I heard about it got me interested. On the other hand, I was the same way about all the other 3D Zelda's minus Skyward Sword, and I ended up not really liking any of them. Always favored 2D Zelda way more.

Also, BotW is more expensive than most other Switch titles, and I have a strict self-imposed €60 monthly budget for games. It'd eat up the month and part of the next one.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The opening Pro point is just so fundamentally in error in this one I more or less turned it off.

Plenty of open worlds have the same openess as BotW. Near any survival game in the last five, if not ten years (No Mans Sky being sort of the ur-example, it doesn't even have an edge to the world map like most). We could honestly just hop back to 2002 and fly around Morrowind even.

And BotW has its share of mobs that are designed to keep you out of areas, much like the MMO's they're clearly emulating given the mobs are just the recolored super variants (granted, you can also kite or run around them in the same vein as said MMOs). And even a couple of classic Zelda nods where you need the Zora thing or the Goron thing to progress into those regions.

Legacy
Jul 8, 2020
NYC
Country
United States
I enjoyed the podcast more, I think. I like hearing experts discuss their opinions with honesty more than hearing them try to convince someone of something they may not believe.