Wasted characters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Trish and Lady are wasted in DMC5 and 5: SE. They have fully made character models and everything, yet they're not playable characters. Unlike in DMC4: SE. Lucia in general. The best she gets is a cameo in a prequel manga novel of 5, and that's it. She does not even get mentioned nor makes a voiced cameo in the game. Yet, Morrison (with a race lift) appears and that brat Patty gets voiced cameo over the phone for a quick gag. Goddamnit Capcom. I know most people hate DMC2, but you could have done so much better in that regard.

Eva is wasted in Oneechanbara Origin. In the OG version of the 2nd game, she is the final boss that became an unlockable and playable character after beating the game. Why Tamsoft thought it was a good idea to not bring her back for this, makes no sense. She has a full move set and even has her own Berserk mode. The only other unlockable character after Saki is Rei, yet the latter you have to get through DLC. What the hell, Tamsoft and D3?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cicada 5 and Worgen

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I agree on Lady and Trish being nothing more than damsels to be saved and fulfilling problematic Japanese fetishes of being naked living batteries for demons and a brief tentacle scene

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I agree on Lady and Trish being nothing more than damsels to be saved and fulfilling problematic Japanese fetishes of being naked living batteries for demons and a brief tentacle scene
....wow, Devil May Cry got wild after the first one.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Jool (Farscape) - In terms of being a wasted character she really was the writing team introduced her as kind of an annoying entitled almost pampered princess type character as a weird sort of parody of Sci-Fi trope of the screaming Damsel in Distress (Jool's screams were a weapon of sorts capable of melting metal). The thing was the writers just didn't evolve her much or quick enough and the audience didn't take to her so they wrote her out. The thing being the writers showed they sort of could have done stuff with her because they suddenly had her have a rush of character development where she went from bratty gap year student type to realising that no her species isn't superior and other species very much have their good points too and are more than what she's been told as such or learned before joining the crew. There was even a sort of romance between her and Dargo hinted at before she left which could have been interesting, which could have been interesting as a dynamic with Chiana still liking Dargo too but having screwed up.

Xhalax Sun (Farcape) - You want to talk wasted characters then a real waste n Farcape was Xhalax Sun mother of Aeryn Sun who gets introduced and set up as a main Antagonist for the Talon crew. It's a very interesting character idea to have Aeryn's mother being the commander hunting them down only she turns up in a whole 4 episodes and only is a major presence in 2 of them. Aeryn defeats her on a planet but lets her live then she comes back for revenge, gets shot and falls out of a window in a city slum. So much potential there wasted because Xhalax Sun had tried to have what Aeryn wanted, Love. But she got found out and supposedly had to kill her lover in single combat to prove her loyalty to the peacekeepers again.

Christie Tarr, née McCawley (Defiance) - So you have a Romeo and Juliet story between Alak Tarr (an Alien) and a Christie McCawley (a human) with the rivalry between the two families stopping in the face of the two and their love. But Christie has to deal with the culture shock of dealing with the often strange customs of the Tarr household and struggles to find her place and how she fits in. At one point having a crisis of identity going to a "Skin bar" where people pretend to be some of the other alien races and aliens and humans mix because she feels like she'd fit in more if she was only a member of the same alien race as Alak and his family. Sounds like a great set up with her exploring identity and trying to integrate or maybe find a balance point between what she's used to as a human and the new alien customs combining them to make something new. Also the show hinted at a possible darker more ruthless side to her character after she murders another girl she sees as trying to seduce Alak. But then Season 3 happened, game of thrones was getting big and they kill her off in episode 1 along with her father basically just for shock value thus nothing more about her could be explored and all those possible plots get left dangling.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The series didn't get really wild until 3. 2 was boring, rushed, and full of wasted potential.
I'll add Lucia as a wasted character simply because I think she is an interesting character who should be in more games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nagi from Tenchi Universe. The bad ass bounty hunter who is Ryoko's rival, and her ace counterpart. She shows up a few times in the tv series, and has a few seconds scene in the final episode and is never seen nor mention again. The final scene of her pondering/doubting that Ryoko is dead. Which is true. Funny, all she had to do was head back to Earth. Implying she would come back at some point to hunt down Ryoko again. Nagi does not show up in either canon Tenchi movies. In both cases, it makes sense and I give the writing team credit for to sticking to their guns.

In Love is basically Back to the Future, and Tenchi is trying to save his mom. It would not make sense for Nagi to be in it. Forever (In Love 2) is about Tenchi getting captured and placed in an illusionary world, and putting an end to the love triangle between him, Ryoko, and Ayeka. Once again, it would not make sense to add Nagi in to the middle of this. It would be distracting. It still stings she is never shown again. She originally was gonna show up in Tenchi Tokyo (when it was planned to be a sequel), but all of that got axed, and TiT became its own universe.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The entire cast of Transformers Prime.

In the lead up to that show premiere, there was a big load of shit talked by its show runners that the title meant the show would 'explore what it meant to be a Prime'. This was in the end a total fucking lie since the show did jack shit in that direction. In fact, I would go so far as to say season three of Transformers Generation 1 did that premise better with Rodimus Prime. A season it should be noted, that contained this fucking abomination of animation.

Yeah drink that shit in. And yet, after reviewing both the third season of G1 Transformers and most of Transformers Prime, I can safely say any episode that focused on Rodimus did a better job at Prime's premise than Prime ever did in its three or so season run.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The entire cast of Transformers Prime.

In the lead up to that show premiere, there was a big load of shit talked by its show runners that the title meant the show would 'explore what it meant to be a Prime'. This was in the end a total fucking lie since the show did jack shit in that direction. In fact, I would go so far as to say season three of Transformers Generation 1 did that premise better with Rodimus Prime. A season it should be noted, that contained this fucking abomination of animation.

Yeah drink that shit in. And yet, after reviewing both the third season of G1 Transformers and most of Transformers Prime, I can safely say any episode that focused on Rodimus did a better job at Prime's premise than Prime ever did in its three or so season run.
Im less concerned about Prime, and more concerned they clearly show Brawn and Prowl, and they both died in the movie set in 2005, and Season 3 Gen 1 takes place in 2010 I think. So...yeah...

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Im less concerned about Prime, and more concerned they clearly show Brawn and Prowl, and they both died in the movie set in 2005, and Season 3 Gen 1 takes place in 2010 I think. So...yeah...
I know. My point is, that the the entire show Transformers Prime, which was released back in 2010 (Jesus I feel old) had its fucking lunch stolen premise wise, by Generation One's worst season. And Carnage in C Minor is its worst episode. And yet in spite of that, thematically, they explored what it meant to be a Prime with Rodimus way better than an entire show made nearly forty years later with actual money and a writing staff (allegedly) not staffed by week to week jobbers.

Last edited: