Wasteland 1 Coming to GOG and Steam

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
bjj hero said:
Is it turn based combat? Similar to xcom enemy unknown? I might give this a look. What year was it released?
I'll give you a hint. I bought 'Wasteland' at Electronics Boutique (I think) and played it on my Commodore 64. Many. Many. Times.

I have no knowledge of W2. In 'Wasteland', there is even a secret area that strongly implies that 'Wasteland 2' is coming soon... some 20-odd years ago? And apparently it was not. But that may have been a good thing. 'Wasteland' was something like the original Ultima; your screen was half map and half text. Yes, combat was turn-based, and there was a nifty arsenal, some good storytelling, and a bit at the end that demanded that the player come up with something unusual to proceed.

One of the things that I thought very cool about 'Wasteland'. It came with a companion booklet that described certain areas and events. And just to prevent players from reading ahead to figure out what they should do, the book came complete with fake entries that were never alluded to by the game. They were either nonsensical or deliberately misleading.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
KarlMonster said:
bjj hero said:
Is it turn based combat? Similar to xcom enemy unknown? I might give this a look. What year was it released?
I'll give you a hint. I bought 'Wasteland' at Electronics Boutique (I think) and played it on my Commodore 64. Many. Many. Times.

I have no knowledge of W2. In 'Wasteland', there is even a secret area that strongly implies that 'Wasteland 2' is coming soon... some 20-odd years ago? And apparently it was not. But that may have been a good thing. 'Wasteland' was something like the original Ultima; your screen was half map and half text. Yes, combat was turn-based, and there was a nifty arsenal, some good storytelling, and a bit at the end that demanded that the player come up with something unusual to proceed.

One of the things that I thought very cool about 'Wasteland'. It came with a companion booklet that described certain areas and events. And just to prevent players from reading ahead to figure out what they should do, the book came complete with fake entries that were never alluded to by the game. They were either nonsensical or deliberately misleading.
So more like laser squad then? I played that to death. Hot seat muptplayer was awesome.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
EA playing nice? How very strange. I'll gladly snag a copy if it's cheap enough. I remember playing this game as a child and enjoying it quite a bit. I'm sure it hasn't aged well at all. I wonder.......I bet if I poke around some boxes stuffed in the back of my close I'll find the original disc.