Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Explodes Like a Blood Sausage

Apr 28, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
Imbechile said:
YES, YES. Finally we will get a great CRPG. Obsidian, what are you waiting for ?
Probably for the kickstarter craze to die down a bit or to figure out what they would use it on. Double fine wanted to make an adventure game and Fargo wanted to make Wasteland 2. Obsidian was talking about making something and asked people what they would like to see. Though I am also waiting for Obsidian to announce one as well so I can throw all my money into it.
All they have to say is "old-school RPG headed by Sawyer, Avellone, and Cain" for me to throw all my money at them as hard as I possibly can.

Also, the pot's at ~314,000

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I'd like the combat system to be more in the lines of Fallout or Brotherhood of Steel (I think the alternate name was Tactics) rather than the original Wasteland/Fountain of Dreams style
the original Wasteland combat felt very clunky and hard to follow =P

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
see this publishers?!?! see this!!

take some fucking notes!! gamers will pay for games we actually want!!

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Damn! If only I wasn't up to my neck in student loans!

Must.. give.. lots.. of... money.. don't... need.. books.. next... semester. right?

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I wasn't even born when Wasteland came out xD, but I'm excited about this. We need more games like this. I just hope the game doesn't get any negative side effects from being fan-funded. I see plenty of pitfalls.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
All right, I'm in. A shame I really wanted that ivory back-scratcher. After this is complete and does well I hope someone can pick up the Twilight 2000 license and make a squad based RPG based on that. As I recall Sid Meier's Pirates! Pools of Radiance and then Wasteland were my go to games on the C=64.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Last I checked they were at $508,947. That's over half way to the goal in one day. I don't think they're going to have any trouble.

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
Couple things I'm confused about.

1. What kind of quality game do you expect them to make when they are only shooting for 1-1.5m of funding?
2. What do you think the result will be of them forcing in so many peoples name/likeness?

"Speaking of tiers, fans who pledge a minimum of $15 will receive a DRM-free copy of Wasteland 2"

So it will have DRM for everyone else? You would think if they were making the game based on the community paying for it, they wouldn't put something in that the vast majority of the gaming community is against. I'm already automatically not interested in the game after reading that.

A.Balthazor

Mar 5, 2008
Magnicon said:
"Speaking of tiers, fans who pledge a minimum of $15 will receive a DRM-free copy of Wasteland 2"

So it will have DRM for everyone else? You would think if they were making the game based on the community paying for it, they wouldn't put something in that the vast majority of the gaming community is against. I'm already automatically not interested in the game after reading that.
If you are convinced that the line you quoted implies that all other available methods of acquiring Wasteland will have DRM, and that is sufficient enough reason for you to avoid the a sequel produced by industry legends, then this game is just not for you.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Magnicon said:
My guess is that it means it'll be a Steam game for everyone else. Perhaps they'll also be selling a DRM free version via their website. My understanding is that if you kickstart then you'll get both the Steam version and a DRM free version (though I could be wrong).

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Magnicon said:
Couple things I'm confused about.

1. What kind of quality game do you expect them to make when they are only shooting for 1-1.5m of funding?
2. What do you think the result will be of them forcing in so many peoples name/likeness?

1. An old-school isometric RPG really doesn't cost all that much to make. After the game engine and artwork is done (which is pretty basic for a game like this), the majority of the actual game content is writing.

2. RPG's like this have an insane amount of NPC's, locations, and items. If some of them have the names of people you've never met, I doubt you'd even notice.

As for the DRM thing, I think he's just emphasizing the fact that there is no DRM. On their forums leading up to the Kickstarter, a lot of people were asking whether or not there would be DRM in the game. To clarify, inXile confirmed that there wouldn't be any, and added a note about it to the list of rewards.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Oh look, someone trying to tap my untapped market. How could I possibly say no?