Watch an Hour of Star Wars: Battlefront III Gameplay

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Watch an Hour of Star Wars: Battlefront III Gameplay

From Bespin to Boba Fett, get a look at what could have been.

Pre-alpha footage of Free Radical's cancelled Battlefront game has surfaced, giving us a taste of what the full game might have been like. Ever since LucasArts pulled the plug more than three years ago, the ill-fated project has been the subject of many leaks and much speculation, but nothing on this scale. Past to Present [http://ptoponline.com/], a site specializing in digging up content from unreleased and cancelled titles, has uploaded nearly an hour of gameplay showing off a lot of features - some more complete than others.

The video's tour of duty includes maps in familiar Star Wars locales like Cloud City, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, and Tatooine. The standard playable units return from Battlefront II, filling the battlefield with stormtroopers and rebel soldiers. Special hero units are back as well: we see gameplay of series veterans Boba Fett, Darth Vader, and Luke Skywalker. IG-88, infamous assassin droid and newcomer to the Battlefront series, also makes an appearance. A barebones version of Galactic Conquest is shown, though there also appear to be several 'Challenge Missions' like speeder bike racing and special objectives on classic maps like the Death Star.

The gameplay itself is unpolished and bug-ridden, but the game's ambition is visible throughout. Seamless transitions from ground combat to space dogfights are indeed possible, even if the framerate doesn't quite hold up. Texture pop-ins abound and the AI should probably drop that second letter, but that's to be expected in a build that was never intended to see the light of day.

There's a lot of promise here, which only makes it more disappointing that the project is long-dead. Despite the fact that the game was nearly complete [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-26-the-collapse-of-free-radical-design] at the time of cancellation, fans should continue to look elsewhere for a new hope.

Source: Past to Present [http://ptoponline.com/?p=301]

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Oh great. Now this is just going to get a bunch of fanboys pining and whining about how they want to see this game released, or that they have evidence that it will be released, even though this article states several times that the project is dead and has been for a while.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be back in a bit everyone. I'm going to grab an extremely large tub of Ben & Jerrys, sit in my shower and cry my fucking eyes out at the fact this game was cancelled.

FUCK YOU LUCAS ARTS!

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I got really excited when I saw the title. For a second I genuinely thought this game was being released.

Then I read this.
Cognimancer said:
get a look at what could have been.
Curse you for making me believe that. Curse you!

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
While I usually don't mind a series passing away before things get stale, it does suck that this died when it was almost done. I wanted to play it.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I'll be back in a bit everyone. I'm going to grab an extremely large tub of Ben & Jerrys, sit in my shower and cry my fucking eyes out at the fact this game was cancelled.

FUCK YOU LUCAS ARTS!
You do realize that George Lucas is a Sith Lord so he draws power from your rage and pain so this won't help.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The sad part is that if they eventually do decide to release this game I could not in good conscious give my money to Lucas Arts after the shit they pulled. Unethical fucks.

Codenet

Jan 4, 2009
I can't really think of a sequel i would want more than Battlefront 3, and to know that the game was a reality, and so far into development before it was cancelled really makes me depressed. Battlefront 2 was some of the most fun i have ever had whilst playing a video game, and easily the most fun i've had flying a ship.

i really want a strong explanation as to why they felt the need to completely kill the project.

Apr 28, 2008
We could have had this. This, and Timesplitters-goddamn-4.
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

FUCK YOU LUCAS ARTS!
Got room for one more?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

FUCK YOU LUCAS ARTS!
Is there room in your shower for another weeping Battlefront fan? Can i have free entrance if i bring a family-sized tub of Ben and Jerry's?

I need somewhere to cry!!!

U Y taunt us with epicness that will never be!!

/sob sob sob

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Irridium said:
We could have had this. This, and Timesplitters-goddamn-4.
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

FUCK YOU LUCAS ARTS!
Got room for one more?
Agh! Timesplitters 4 :( Another game that should have been. I'm going to need another tub of Ben & Jerrys at this rate.
vrbtny said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

FUCK YOU LUCAS ARTS!
Is there room in your shower for another weeping Battlefront fan? Can i have free entrance if i bring a family-sized tub of Ben and Jerry's?

I need somewhere to cry!!!

U Y taunt us with epicness that will never be!!

/sob sob sob
Yeah but it needs to be Cookie Dough flavour.

Aug 25, 2009
I continue to hold out hope that one day George Lucas will die, and all of the executives currently in charge of LucasArts will resign or get fired, and this game will be made.

Some day...

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
in the words of Luke Skywalker:

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

FUCK YOU LUCAS ARTS!
Make some room, this makes me cry about what could have been, the Battlefront series was absolutely spectacular, the first still has a proud place in my games library.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
So wait...they could make a Darthvader dance off but not this? That's like dropping Halo 4 for Halocart racing.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Yeah but it needs to be Cookie Dough flavour.
It was buy one get one free, so here you go. Cookie dough flavour for you!

I'm gonna sit here and sob into my tub of Americone Dream.....

/sob sob sob