Watch As Left 4 Dead 2 Meets Resident Evil 6

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Watch As Left 4 Dead 2 Meets Resident Evil 6

The idea of seeing Left 4 Dead 2 characters in Resident Evil 6 would normally seem like a crazy pipe-dream, and yet we've got footage demonstrating just that.

Earlier this week we brought you word [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122730-Capcom-Valve-Reveal-Resident-Evil-Left-4-Dead-Crossover] of a joint effort between Capcom and Valve Software that would see characters from Left 4 Dead 2 joining the upcoming PC incarnation of Resident Evil 6 and vice versa. As we mentioned at the time, the crossover isn't as exciting as it seems at first glance, but that's not to say that there isn't a certain novelty to watching Coach and the other less gregarious heroes of Valve's zombie shooter firing off rounds into the hordes of biological abominations found in Capcom's latest survival-horror title.

For proof of this, you need look no further than the video embedded above. This comes courtesy of Capcom (and more specifically, the firm's appearance at the ongoing PAX East conference) and demonstrates exactly what it looks like when Valve's quartet of zombie slayers are dropped into a world of Lickers, Tyrants and whatever monstrous descriptor you might want to apply to Leon Kennedy's hair.

The result? Well, it looks like a particularly well-polished Resident Evil 6 mod crafted by devoted fans of Left 4 Dead 2. I'll grant that the in-game models are very well rendered. The Left 4 Dead 2 protagonists have never looked better. That said, I (like many of you) was hoping for much more when it was originally revealed that Capcom and Valve would be joining forces to merge these two universes. Truth be told, there's more appealing fan service to be found in any number of erotic slash fiction novellas than in what we see here. I could be overly-cynical and will grant that this trailer is certainly not enough by which to judge the final product, but if this is the sum total of the crossover efforts, why even bother?

On the other hand, watching Nick cut down shambling horrors with a shotgun while decked out in that undeniably dapper suit of his, struck me with wonderful flashbacks to the certainly not great, but largely overlooked Yakuza: Dead Souls. As ZZ Top once sang, "Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man," but apparently that goes double for ambulatory crimes against the natural order. Who knew?

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQjmWBtagag]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its amazing how little the zombies do in Resident Evil 6, even the witch just stops and stares instead of just sprinting the whole map and rape the player's face with her hands like she does in Left 4 Dead. And the mini-tank looks as weak as fuck, the player is fighting against 3 at the same time by the end of the video and all they do is just roam around missing punches. 1 in Left 4 Dead is enough to wipe out all the survivors.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
That video gave me a sudden urge to play totally unrelated games with zombies (Blops 2 and L4D1, mostly) to wash out the bad taste that left in my mouth.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Maybe it's because I never payed much attention to its size relative to the original survivors... but the tank looks about the same size.

josemlopes said:
Its amazing how little the zombies do in Resident Evil 6, even the witch just stops and stares instead of just sprinting the whole map and rape the player's face with her hands like she does in Left 4 Dead. And the mini-tank looks as weak as fuck, the player is fighting against 3 at the same time by the end of the video and all they do is just roam around missing punches. 1 in Left 4 Dead is enough to wipe out all the survivors.
She wasn't staring, she was telegraphing. The witch doesn't sprint the whole time because she'd be impossible to get away from, since this game's controls are considerably slower than L4D's.

The reason the Tanks are missing so much is because this game contains the ability to dodge.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Bindal said:
That video gave me a sudden urge to play totally unrelated games with zombies (Blops 2 and L4D1, mostly) to wash out the bad taste that left in my mouth.
I would certainly play Blops 2 zombies before touching RE6.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Bindal said:
I would certainly play Blops 2 zombies before touching RE6.
Don't be redundant, guys.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I like the video. It really shows just how awesome you can look with the things they did with the RE6 combat. Just re-watch Ellis' part, it's pretty badass! I think people were expecting a little too much from this supposed 'cross-over' with L4D2. For a game everyone complained about 'too much co-op in a horror game' why did you want MORE CO-OP IN A HORROR GAME?!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Dayum, Coach. Maybe your football days are over, but you'd have made a hell of a wrestler. And I think Nick, Ellis and Ro maybe spent too much time watching a Bruce Lee movie marathon the night before this all went down.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
wow the Vid went a whole 54 secs of just Zombies And it really held my attention.... before it had to throw in the mutated abominations that made the Resident Evil series less about fighting zombies and more of a mutant killer game. My Interest is Zero Divided by 0.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Skops said:
I like the video. It really shows just how awesome you can look with the things they did with the RE6 combat. Just re-watch Ellis' part, it's pretty badass! I think people were expecting a little too much from this supposed 'cross-over' with L4D2. For a game everyone complained about 'too much co-op in a horror game' why did you want MORE CO-OP IN A HORROR GAME?!
^This.

Stop complaining, it hasn't even come out yet and you're basing your decision on a single video. We all no trailers never show off the full experience, so why start making stand points now?

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Just by watching the video, it shows just how non threatening the zombies in RE 6 truly are. If you were surrounded by that many zombies at once in L4D, your health would be widdling down and there is an overwhelming sense of panic. In that video, you can tell they are just mashing the A button for punch.

... and I still can't get over just how stupid it is fight off a group of zombies WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nice animations. That's about all I got out of it since I'm not invested enough in Resident Evil to care (love or hate it).

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I think it would have been better with less of the trappings of Resident Evil in there. Those zombies don't look dangerous at all.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
This is the game everyone said was rubbish, right? Why would I want to buy it for PC KNOWING that it will be terrible, because it was terrible on the Xbox and ports never do anything but make a product worse?

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
I just want to see Left 4 Dead 2 get an uncut, R-rated Australian release.
Yeah, I don't care about the gore effects. Yeah, I won't be able to play it until nine months from now.
But if I buy the bloodless L4D2, I support censorship.
I. Don't. Like. Censorship.

Also, I'm having LOADS of fun with Left 4 Dead 1 already.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Or... I could play L4D2 and have a better co-op zombie survival game.

Not this Dynasty Warriors wannabe.

Captcha: "am I happy?" No, I am not. This is rubbish.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
I would have like to see the old cast too. Give me the ability to play as Francis through the entirety of a Resident evil game and the inherently ridiculous nature of that series will get a good dose of Francis-hate. I might pick this up during an eventual steam sale, but honestly I only ever really enjoyed resident evil 4 so it isn't a must have for me.

Squiddles

Feb 11, 2013
As nice as that all looked, if a game can include three whole Tank monsters at the same time in the same place and not instantly fill me full of dread then something has gone very wrong. XD

Besides could always boot up L4D2 on the PC, if you have it, install some mods to make the characters look like the ones out of most Resident Evil games... And the other for it to be a 3rd person shooter also helps. <.<

Just sayin'. =)