Watch Dog metacritic reviews

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Well the metacritic part is probably another social balance issue, "professionals" blow smoke up the big budget titles ass and people then go the other way and shit on it to try and even things out, not productive either way.
Honestly, there are people who are undoubtedly going after it for it not working on their processor, or backlash against filthy casuals ruining their experience, and so on. Gamers have a habit of flipping the tables over the most trivial of things, and Watch Dogs had plenty of trivial things wrong.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Who cares about hype?
People who have been promised the moon probably do. I had managed expectations of Watch Dogs, but the point remains, a game should live up to its promises. Especially ones of a technical nature (since "fun" is hard to objectively measure).

SaneAmongInsane said:
The plot is like a bad movie though, but the gameplay is enjoyable.
If the plot is like a bad movie, doesn't that still put it in the upper echelons of game storytelling? Or is it worse than that? We talking a C movie? D movie? Did it come out in theaters, or is it one of those bargain bin direct to DVD plots?

BrotherRool said:
Had they not talked it up so much and let gamers discover it, it wouldn't be tainted with disappointment.
^This. I think it's the reverse Sleeping Dogs situation, where Sleeping Dogs somehow managed to avoid being on the hype train a lot of the time and so people talked it up because it was actually decent. Whereas Watch Dogs managed to bill itself as the next big thing (even if people were always unsure if it was going to deliver), so when it turned out to be the next good thing same as the last good thing, it was a disappointment. [/quote]

And look at how the two games fared: Sleeping Dogs has a lifetime sales figure of less than two million and was blamed in part for the failure of Squeeeeenix. Watch Dogs got half that in the first TWENTY FOUR HOURS. It's got double that in the first week.

Which do you think we'll see more of moving on from here? Games hyped as Jesus in hopes of getting our money before our erections fade, or games allowed to stand on their own merits?

I'd say the hype worked. Even if the Metascore is "bad" according to devs and a lot of gamers, they've got our money now.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
And look at how the two games fared: Sleeping Dogs has a lifetime sales figure of less than two million and was blamed in part for the failure of Squeeeeenix. Watch Dogs got half that in the first TWENTY FOUR HOURS. It's got double that in the first week.

Which do you think we'll see more of moving on from here? Games hyped as Jesus in hopes of getting our money before our erections fade, or games allowed to stand on their own merits?

I'd say the hype worked. Even if the Metascore is "bad" according to devs and a lot of gamers, they've got our money now.
Oh yeah :( All the sucky practices work in this industry. We're stuck in the hype machine, marketing is more important than game making. People are so hyped for games that they will pay money to play them before they've even finished and if you don't have the hype you aren't going to cut it.

At least in this case, it's more about Sleeping Dogs underselling than Watch Dogs overselling. I think the amount of game you get for your money is much more important to a lot of people than is given credit for, and Watch Dogs/Sleeping Dogs definitely met that need. But still.. :(

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
General guide to interpreting Metacritic results:

1. User and Review score are mostly in line - decent indicator

2. User scores are abysmally low (2.0 or lower), review scores are decent or good - game got review bombed for some reason, further inquiry required

3. User scores are high, reviews are low - niche title, likely good if it's what you're looking for

4. User scores are low, reviews are high - overhyped AAA schlock, likely a major publisher, likely boring and derivative

Now, to all the people saying Metacritic shouldn't be consulted - you are being silly. Metacritic isn't a bad site, it's just been abused and misused by publishers and morons who want everything condensed into a single number around which to base all their opinions. The site itself is a useful tool to provide you easy access to a variety of reviews, both by gaming sites and individual users. It's an good starting point for information gathering about a title you're interested in. The average review and user scores are the equivalent of dipping your tow in the water before diving in - tells you the overall temperature, so to speak. It's up to you to see the reasons behind the numbers. Read some reviews, look for review sites you trust in the list, see the arguments.

Metacritic isn't there to tell you which games are good and which aren't, it's there to help you make informed decisions, to provide you with easier access to information.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Here's the thing in the rating scale of 8 out of 10 being basically neutral ((I swear this pisses me off at work to because if someone doesn't rate you a 9 or a 10 your hurt for it.)) Saying Watchdogs is anything less then the average game AT LEAST means you have no business reviewing a game at all, The game runs fine, it looks fine it plays fine and doesn't not let you play it cause of dumb DRM or anything like that.

Why profession reviewers are around 8 and Metacritic is all over the place is because profession reviewer have to actually review THE GAME and how the game stands on it's own, not go "doesn't look like 2012, hurp durp 1/10"

If a profession reviewer can't write an unbiased review, they should not have a job.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
AnthrSolidSnake said:
MysticSlayer said:
Didn't the PC version have optimization issues with AMD cards on launch? That may have something to do with its incredibly low score, especially since PC-specific reviewers like PC Gamer were often running NVIDIA cards.
AMD users had MORE problems, but overall the graphic card manufacturer is irrelevant. My brand new 780ti OC had problems running the game. The only way I could get it to a stable framerate with less stuttering was to cap it at 30FPS, which as a now mostly dedicated PC gamer for quite a few years now is quite jarring.
If I owned the game and had the issues a friend of mine is having, I would be giving the game a 0. Right now the game loads about 90% and then freezes and won't launch. I understand there are many different types of hardware available, but at the same time having many reports of this same issue and rushing out a patch for an issue like this to me screams they didn't test enough hardware just to make sure the game runs.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
MeTalHeD said:
What bugs me is when a game gets seriously hyped, people get sucked in by the hype, and developers drop them at the end. Sure, we shouldn't be gullible, but this is a relatively recent trend. Duke Nukem Forever did it with posters and massive marketing. I suspect they knew the product wasn't up to scratch. A hyped game would most likely score more pre-orders and lead to more sales in the first week before people wake up and realise it's not worth the money they spent. It's why reviewers place said reviews on hold until the launch date.
I really don't "get" hype. I see the gameplay videos, the uncut ones of playing through a mission or level, not trailers with cool shit all cut together, and I know exactly how the game is going to play like. Watch Dogs is exactly the game I expected it to be from the gameplay walkthroughs of missions. I don't understand what everyone else was thinking the game was going to be, Ubisoft showed you the exact fucking game. The graphics my have gotten downgraded but the game still looks damn good to me. Open world/sandbox games just don't look THAT great because of everything that is going on and everything that has to get rendered when compared to a linear game like Uncharted. You can make a smaller area look better than a larger area, that's just basic common sense.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's Good. It's Decent. It's only problem is it's not amazing.

The plot is like a bad movie though, but the gameplay is enjoyable. I like in the middle of a shootout using the camera's and making shit explode halfway across the map. And when you manage to clear out a building all stealthy like you feel really cool.
I completely agree. It's a very polished game. The hacking is cool for the infiltration bits and when you are in the midst of a shootout.

But there just doesn't seem to be anything that really grabs at you. Maybe if the protagonist was a little bit more interesting or the plot a little less hackneyed?

I am finding the driving difficult enough but I generally suck at driving in these games anyway so I'll be getting a couple of the driving perks when next I decide to level up.

I personally think that a score of 4-4.5 is a perfectly reasonable score to assign the game. It's just missing a certain undefinable..something that would make it a classic.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Jandau said:
General guide to interpreting Metacritic results:

1. User and Review score are mostly in line - decent indicator

2. User scores are abysmally low (2.0 or lower), review scores are decent or good - game got review bombed for some reason, further inquiry required

3. User scores are high, reviews are low - niche title, likely good if it's what you're looking for

4. User scores are low, reviews are high - overhyped AAA schlock, likely a major publisher, likely boring and derivative.
Are you trying to create some special exception or something? There is no reason for 4 to exist on this list when 2 covers it and doesn't seem to have any bias in it.
I made those two distinct because Review Bombing on Metacritic is a distinct event - something that happens in response to a pet peeve and is more akin to a retaliatory campaign than anything else. For instance, Mass Effect 3 got bombed to like 2 or lower initially as a response to the ending. The rest of the game is solid, even good, but that ending sparked a mass hysteria bandwagon when it came to user scores and I wasn't really representative of the game as a whole.

I wasn't trying to make an exception, but rather demonstrating how you can get information about the game from a quick glance at the score. Such a massive difference in the two scores (user and review) is indicative of a specific situation that might have been resolved in the meantime (while an overall weak game likely stays that way).

For instance, ME3 ending disaster has been mitigated by the free DLC that expands the ending. It's not perfect, but for the most part people were appeased by it. Another example would be Diablo 3, which got bombed to oblivion for network issues on release. While those were deplorable, they were fixed promptly and shouldn't be a factor if one were to check the game out today, but the score is still in the red, and for a game that is at the very least a solid representative of its genre.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
grey_space said:
But there just doesn't seem to be anything that really grabs at you. Maybe if the protagonist was a little bit more interesting or the plot a little less hackneyed?
I think the main problem with Aiden's character is they tried to cram a moral choice system in, so they had to leave him very flat and open-ended so it wouldn't disconnect with whatever path you're taking (although short of running down the street with a grenade launcher or similar odd play, getting onto the red side is nearly impossible anyways). So instead of having a clear personality or method of things, he just kind of floats in a limbo in between anti-hero/villain protagonist.

I am finding the driving difficult enough but I generally suck at driving in these games anyway so I'll be getting a couple of the driving perks when next I decide to level up.
You have to use braking a fair bit more in Watch_Dogs then in GTA or Saints Row, which seems to be the main hiccup. Also check out the car stats on the phone thing to figure out which ones are more suited to you. Muscle cars can be handy for highway chases, but generally the motorcycles/sports/performance (some of them) are better for multipurpose. (Also Aiden's bullet-time thing doesn't change the car handling like the GTA guys did)

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Elfgore said:
I flat out despise the invades though. I'm just about to start a mission then invade. Too bad most players are terrible at invades so I find them in ten seconds. One guy was driving around in a red sports car like a madman. He tried to run me over and failed so badly it was unrealistic.
I turn the option off, sure I can't invade others, but I don't play games for their multiplayer aspects, the only multiplayer I've ever stuck with for more than a week was the ME3 one, and that's gotten stale now.

OT: I like the game, some things work, some don't.
It gets bonus points for having a Howling Wolf song on the radio, but loses points for having a broken radio (songs start from the beginning again even though I got out of the car for two seconds?!)
Points for and enjoyable, if not original, story, loses points for bolted on/ rushed storylines (the human trafficking plot? What the hell?!)
Points for a good looking game and as always loses points for the hype that the game will never be able to live up to.

Seriously Ubisoft, I love a load of your games, but after the trailer for Assassin's Creed: Revelations I will never believe your hype machine again (great game, but the trailer made me drool!)

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Phoenixmgs said:
I really don't "get" hype. I see the gameplay videos, the uncut ones of playing through a mission or level, not trailers with cool shit all cut together, and I know exactly how the game is going to play like. Watch Dogs is exactly the game I expected it to be from the gameplay walkthroughs of missions. I don't understand what everyone else was thinking the game was going to be, Ubisoft showed you the exact fucking game. The graphics my have gotten downgraded but the game still looks damn good to me. Open world/sandbox games just don't look THAT great because of everything that is going on and everything that has to get rendered when compared to a linear game like Uncharted. You can make a smaller area look better than a larger area, that's just basic common sense.
Agreed. I personally prefer to avoid trailers and things like that especially ones that come out long before the game is released precisely because I don't want to get overhyped, and if I preorder the game it's at most a couple months before the game comes out. If one allows their enthusiasm to overwhelm them they are going to end up disappointed one way or another, and if someone preorders a game a year or so before it comes out they deserve to end up with a crappy game.

The oddest complaint I hear about Watch Dogs is that the graphics aren't really next-gen. My reaction to this criticism is something like "you actually expect that? You actually care about the graphics at all? How nutty is that?" First, the next gen hasn't even been out for a year yet, so there isn't really going to be any games with next-gen graphics, and if there are it's going to be one or 2 probably linear games that barely work. What we're mostly going to see at this point is a bunch of high end last gen graphics at best because of developer inexperience. It isn't going to be for a few years before we start to really see "next-gen graphics" in games and definitely not until then will we see those graphics in games that actually FUNCTION.

Second, this obsession with graphics over all else is one of the biggest reasons why video games as a whole are going down the tubes. If one can tell what it is they're looking at that should be good enough for most people.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
grey_space said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

The plot is like a bad movie though, but the gameplay is enjoyable. I like in the middle of a shootout using the camera's and making shit explode halfway across the map. And when you manage to clear out a building all stealthy like you feel really cool.
I completely agree. It's a very polished game. The hacking is cool for the infiltration bits and when you are in the midst of a shootout.

I personally think that a score of 4-4.5 is a perfectly reasonable score to assign the game. It's just missing a certain undefinable..something that would make it a classic.
I'd say a 6 or 7. It's functional. I've only encountered one glitch so far (An enemies dead body contiously spinning on the floor) and thats after a ton of gameplay.

And the sidemissions, the ARG freerunning, playing chess, the digital trips, those bits are really amazing.

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
SaneAmongInsane said:
grey_space said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

I'd say a 6 or 7. It's functional. I've only encountered one glitch so far (An enemies dead body contiously spinning on the floor) and thats after a ton of gameplay.

And the sidemissions, the ARG freerunning, playing chess, the digital trips, those bits are really amazing.
What does ARG mean? And you know how to play chess? There's chess in this game? Does that mean there is backgammon and Chinese checkers too? Just wondering.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Agreed. I personally prefer to avoid trailers and things like that especially ones that come out long before the game is released precisely because I don't want to get overhyped, and if I preorder the game it's at most a couple months before the game comes out. If one allows their enthusiasm to overwhelm them they are going to end up disappointed one way or another, and if someone preorders a game a year or so before it comes out they deserve to end up with a crappy game.

The oddest complaint I hear about Watch Dogs is that the graphics aren't really next-gen. My reaction to this criticism is something like "you actually expect that? You actually care about the graphics at all? How nutty is that?" First, the next gen hasn't even been out for a year yet, so there isn't really going to be any games with next-gen graphics, and if there are it's going to be one or 2 probably linear games that barely work. What we're mostly going to see at this point is a bunch of high end last gen graphics at best because of developer inexperience. It isn't going to be for a few years before we start to really see "next-gen graphics" in games and definitely not until then will we see those graphics in games that actually FUNCTION.

Second, this obsession with graphics over all else is one of the biggest reasons why video games as a whole are going down the tubes. If one can tell what it is they're looking at that should be good enough for most people.
Well...game companies allow people to pre-order their merchandise but do so with promises in mind (as well as a lot of marketing).

This is where things get sticky. You mentioned the graphics aren't next gen. Well, the initial bits of the game shown were rendered on a PC so they could squeeze better graphics out of it and therefore entice more sales because they pitched it as next gen. They got pre-orders and then said Watch Dogs will run 1080p at 60fps on PS4. Sony and Ubisoft said this then both later retracted their statements AFTER people paid for the game. That's like a takeaway joint promising to give you a nice BLT sandwich for your money - even showing you what it looks like - only for them to remove the B and only leave you with the L and T. Consumers should not be punished for a company's dodgy behaviour. Do they then "deserve" the disappointment? Nope, but it happens anyway because companies take shortcuts.

You're right that people shouldn't pre-order games, but it happens because companies (like governments) make promises they cannot keep. It has gotten to the point where gamers have to wait for others to "break the ice", buy the game and then say whether it's worth it or not. Unfortunately, some poor sucker has had to buy it to test it. By then it's too late. Because your game is locked to an account on Steam or Uplay, and they discourage 2nd hand sales (because they want to make more money), new games have become a gamble. Demos are a thing of the past and all we have is some Youtube footage of a game which is rendered on a GTX Titan and marketed as "next gen". Professional reviews are questionable especially if the average user review is waaaay lower - nevermind accusations of reviewers being paid off.

Gamers were promised they were getting a console that was superior to their previous generation, meaning games would look better and run smoother. Years ago I read an article that the PS2 and PS3 were generations behind computer technology and the article predicted that everytime they made a cut off point to release a new console, it would be further and further behind better technology. This is what happened here. The console, which was supposed to be more powerful and give more to the consumer essentially gave them the same thing they've experienced before. I remember the games they showed off when the PS2 and PS3 came out. I was excited when Tekken 4 and 5 came out on PS2, looking better, smoother and with new characters and moves, for example. I loved the games I collected on PS1 and PS2. My collection got smaller on PS3 and I don't see why I should get a PS4.

The graphics alone aren't what drives a game. Gamers know that, but if that's the case (and if graphics are not that important) then why bother with a next gen console? If it is gameplay, how much different will it be from what you've had before? Pushing X to jump, shoot, kick, or for the next quicktime event hasn't really changed that much. Remember, you're forking out an additional $400 and another $60 for the console and the game. Is it so much to ask that the company sticks to its word about its promises?

I do agree with you about the graphics over everything else. People shouldn't just focus on it. However, the graphics in this game are an indication of something that was removed or downgraded before launch after promising something that people felt was possible. TV screens aren't getting smaller and technology has moved towards higher definition. As the article I mentioned stated, the console tech would be lagging so far behind that they will finally release a console and game that will run at 1080 and 60fps when TV screens can handle 2160p or 4320p. Remember, it wasn't long ago that a screen with 1080p resolution was the next big thing. People shouldn't be solely fascinated by graphics, but I believe they will be far happier having a console that can handle higher resolutions and definition than those that can't.

Developers also push the graphics because it is part of the sell. A "next gen" game should look "next gen". Otherwise, I imagine gamers asking what the point is if it all looks the same. Maybe you're right and we'll only get the better games that work in a year or two. But time and technology doesn't sit still - they have some catching up to do. If all they had was an average looking game but was ridiculously fun, then it would spur people on to buy it. Consoles used to offer something different and you're right when you say video games are going down the tubes. Not all, but enough AAA releases aren't proving they're worth the $60 we're expected to pay for them.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:

I was marking out of 5 like Jim did. But I wouldn't argue against your score either. I feel that its a game that won't inspire any great passion either one way or another.

I really enjoyed the Chess minigame, and even went back to get 3 stars in all the challenges after I'd completed it. And I'm really not ocd about stuff like that I just really enjoyed the puzzles. Haven't delved into any of the other minigames yet just been doing the side missions.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Seth Carter said:
I think the main problem with Aiden's character is they tried to cram a moral choice system in, so they had to leave him very flat and open-ended so it wouldn't disconnect with whatever path you're taking (although short of running down the street with a grenade launcher or similar odd play, getting onto the red side is nearly impossible anyways). So instead of having a clear personality or method of things, he just kind of floats in a limbo in between anti-hero/villain protagonist.
You might have hit the nail on the head there. I was at max blue rep and then doing a fixer contract on a bike I accidentally moved down about 20 civilians taking a shortcut to a checkpoint. It only took 2 criminal missions to bring me back to max popularity. I've never gotten into the red in spite of my rather insipid driving.

Unfortunately that decision to include a moral choice system and the way they implemented it just leaves you with a bland, very forgettable main character.

Seth Carter said:
You have to use braking a fair bit more in Watch_Dogs then in GTA or Saints Row, which seems to be the main hiccup. Also check out the car stats on the phone thing to figure out which ones are more suited to you. Muscle cars can be handy for highway chases, but generally the motorcycles/sports/performance (some of them) are better for multipurpose. (Also Aiden's bullet-time thing doesn't change the car handling like the GTA guys did)
Yes I've learned to avoid the muscle cars since even with braking the arse on them keeps sliding all over the road on me. I've developed a liking for the smaller, hatchback sports cars around town. Small, responsive and quick acceleration. I've learned to avoid the motorbikes due to the absolute carnage I leave behind.

I will say that the little tidbits of info you get from hacking the NPCs do give you a bit more emotional involvement with the world. Accidentally running over a person who just beat cancer or who regularly donates to children's charities does elicit a mild pang of guilt.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I kind of stand by my initial thoughts. It's a lot like Assassin's Creed. I could see where with just a little more focus on one thing and some improvements in a few other areas it could be really good. I think WD 2 really has the potential to be very good. But I do have to give a warning, and eat my words a little too...

During the lead up to the release, the "leaked" review mentioned several of the multiplayer elements being kind of ho-hum but if you ever used the option to turn off the multiplayer (and prevent other players from getting into your game for the PvP multiplayer) you lose any online progress you built up. Thus forcing players who want to keep their multiplayer stats to keep it "always online." My initial response was "cool, you can shut off multiplayer and keep random dicks from screwing with my singleplayer experience."

Well first the warning. The game does force you to do at least one of the multiplayer missions. I had the option turned off, but someone got into my game and did the "hacking" minigame. So I found and killed the hacker, then went to the option screen and sure enough... the game had changed my setting to invasions allowed. Which would have bothered me except for one thing...

It was fun. Finding and chasing down the hacker... was pretty satisfying. I don't know who he was, but it was a pretty epic chase. So I have left the option on. So, a warning, if you want just the singleplayer experience you do have to go back in and turn invasions off again after it forces that first multiplayer session. But (if you are like me) you might find it kind of fun.