*Comes out of Steamy corner*

HA!

*Goes back in*

Kidding kidding, I got nothin but love for yall. <3

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
This gen is so last gen.
This statement is going to look pretty silly in 3 years time.

People, we're just half way into the first year of all 3 next gen console being on the market. This talk of "this gen is doomed" really makes people seem like drama queens.

Keep Calm

and

Use Your Heads

No one here is predicting the entirety of the 8th generation of consoles based on Watch Dogs not being a killer app. You know what else reeked of this?

Assassin's Creed 1. Ran at 720p.

The PS3/360 boasted consoles that could have games with true 1080p resolution. We didn't get that from many, if any 3rd party multiplatform titles until the begging of the end of 7th gen.

If you though the first major 3rd party multiplatform title of 8th Gen was going to be anything more than baby steps with the tech compared to 7th gen, you fell for the marketing of E3 last year and have been coasting on wishful thinking since.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
heh, now that preorders are sold they changed the statement and are showing the true colours. its sad though that they such at game design so much though. Consoles are weak, but they are not so weak that they would need to run a 2010 grpahics level game at 30 fps. something is not working in the game and looks like their not bothering to fix it.

Charcharo said:
Damn...
I was 100% certain that it wont be Ultra settings 1080p 60fps. I was expecting maybe 1080p, 30fps and medium-high settings.
Instead PS4 is getting what looks like high 900p 30 fps. Dissapointing. I gave its hardware too much credit.
Still, Ubi, go for 1080 and low settings even. Resolution> settings. Unless its a gigantic difference and usually it is not.

Not that it affects me, PC gaming :p
have you seen the videos though? it looks like low settings. Heck, it looks like low settings for a 2010 title or earlier. the PS4 version certainly does not look high settings unless it was once again changed radically.

Ferisar said:
While true, texture pop-in is used in a lot more games than just sandbox now-a-days (probably because of how functional the tactic is when it isn't easy to see), so it isn't only that that's at play here. But it -is- true that it's not somehow impossible to make a well-running game in a sandbox, because, as you said, rockstar is still a studio.
you mean the horrible visible Infamouse Second sun popins, or the gamebreaking GTA5 popins? or how some game engines most defined trait are "you can see this game is made on this engine because of the horrible texture popins"? textures should pop in beyond your vision, and the consoles arent pwoerful enough for that.

saltyanon said:
THE HUMAN EYE CAN'T SEE 60FPS ANYWAY! YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!
the most ridiculous ive seen so far is "60fps makes my brain hurt".

Pedro The Hutt said:
To those bragging about the PC, it is worth noting that the PC version's system specs are off the charts and you'll need a top end PC to get 60fps at 1080p with everything maxed there, so I think Ubisoft simply have a bad engine going on.
you make an incorrect assumtion that this is comparable. you wont need a top end PC to get 900p 30 fps with minimum settings. in fact you would likely need one less powerful than the console.

kiri2tsubasa said:
Then I will proudly tell you that I am physically incapable of seeing any more then maybe 40FPS because my eyes are not that good. So no, it isn't like night and day for me because anything 40+ looks the exactly same to me.
according to US navy tests, normal human eyes can see at least up to 215 FPS (their machine could not run higher number tests because they didnt have a screen with higher refresh rate). If you are incapable of seeing above 40 FPS i suggest you visit an eye doctor.

Kungfusam said:
I said more, not better, and by more I mean AAA, since consoles tend to focus on exclusives to sell them
and you were wrong anyway. PC has more exclusives than consoles have games, eclusives or not, combined.

Rozalia1 said:
PC isn't competing in the console market so how can you jump ship to PC?

Honestly this hate seems to be very confined to a select amount of forums on the internet. Had no issues myself and not heard much ragging on consoles in RL and that is with most of my friends having Xbones.

The IGC might just be even worse than the IWC.
PC is competing in gaming market with consoles, mobile games and handhelds. Console market is not some closed door society. especially when it comes to PC considering majority of these games are crossplatform.
Oh, wait, i just read your nickname, we had this discussion before didnt we.....

wolfehound22 said:
Well IPhone get's way more games than anything, that doesn't make it the better way to go.
then why do you bring amount of games as an argument (remmeber, you started this with saying consoles had more exclusives), and then say that its irrelevant when we prove you wrong?

AzrealMaximillion said:
Of course. in some aspects its even worse than last gen.

and what baby steps with the tech? you mean the tech PC was using for 20 years? because thats exactly the tech in current consoles. nothing "new" about it. i can udnerstnad studios like Naughty Dog that never worked on PC to struggle. ubisoft however, nope they worked on PC all along.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
Strazdas said:
wolfehound22 said:
Well IPhone get's way more games than anything, that doesn't make it the better way to go.
then why do you bring amount of games as an argument (remmeber, you started this with saying consoles had more exclusives), and then say that its irrelevant when we prove you wrong?
Actually if you looked at any of my posts I never brought up the amount of games being a positive, I was replying to someone that brought up the argument that pc has more games, who was replying to someone else. I just don't believe that is a valid argument. Now, if you reply to me like the other person and say, well the pc has seen "x" number of highly rated games compared to the others, than yes I will agree with that.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
the metacritic article shows PC got 46 games with 75 points on metacritic or higher, ALL the other consoles combined got a total of 21 games with 75 points or higher

well lets see, since nothing remarkable was really relesed last year for either the PS4 or the Xbone i say we ignore it, this year the PS4 got infamous second son, a highly anticipated, highly marketed, AAA exclusive, it got an 80 on metacritic, the following games scored equal or higher on metacritic

Age of Wonders III - 80
ETHER One - 80
The Banner Saga - 80
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - 81
Broken Age act 1 - 82
The Blackwell Epiphany - 84
SMITE - 84
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - 87 (tough a console port is expected to arrive later this year)
Kentucky Route Zero - Act III - 92 (tough this only has 4 reviews so far)

plus if you only game on PS4, you wouldnt be able to play these PC games

Titanfall - 86
Heartstone - 88
Year Walk - 87
Steins;Gate - 86 (only 4 reviews so far)

and if you had an xbox one you wouldnt be able to play any of the above either, minus titanfall but adding luftrausers and towerfall ascention to the list

one could actually say PC is getting WAY too many good games at the moment, game development there is becoming crazy competitive
Thanks for the reply, see an argument like that carries more weight than just saying "so and so has mroe games". I will say since the PS4 released it has 36 games rated 75 or higher. Now some of these are releases that have already been on pc or PS3, but that still doesn't take away that there are a good bit of games. The tough thing now a days, is so many games released are indie games, and let's be serious here, most aren't graphic powerhouses, and whether you have a pc or PS4, you are getting to play a lot of these titles now.

I was never arguing that PS4 was better, I was simply trying to say it's not as horrible as a lot of posters are making it out to be. Were there some promises that were made that haven't been deliverd on yep, are there not enough exclusives sure, but I've had one since launch and have enjoyed my time with it. If you have a high powered pc already, than yea there is no reason to get it, but I do not, so all the indies that have been released have been fantastic for me.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I don't own a console, Ubisoft ruined the only franchise of theirs I cared about and I never understood the hype surrounding Watch Dogs.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
PC is competing in gaming market with consoles, mobile games and handhelds. Console market is not some closed door society. especially when it comes to PC considering majority of these games are crossplatform.
Oh, wait, i just read your nickname, we had this discussion before didnt we.....
We talked about emulation, don't recall any talk of this subject unless it was a throwaway line somewhere. No need to be so bloody hostile by the way, I'm not going to bite your head off.

Define PC. Where is the set in stone product? Pre-built I suppose, but even then you'd have to only include the ones that set out compete with consoles in the living room.
Now I suppose you'll lambaste me with the pick and mix computers you can build missing the logic being used. Disagree with it fine whatever, but don't dismiss it completely.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Rozalia1 said:
PC isn't competing in the console market so how can you jump ship to PC?
This makes no sense. I used to play consoles, now I use a PC. Simple no?

Rozalia1 said:
Honestly this hate seems to be very confined to a select amount of forums on the internet. Had no issues myself and not heard much ragging on consoles in RL and that is with most of my friends having Xbones.
Your experience is not necessarily the norm. Look it is what it is. This gen of consoles is not delivering on its promises and can't even manage to run games at 1080p. That's sad and people should be getting more for their money than empty promises. At least with a PC you build it yourself and know what it's capable of.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Ultratwinkie said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Ultratwinkie said:
This gen is so last gen.

People, we're just half way into the first year of all 3 next gen console being on the market. This talk of "this gen is doomed" really makes people seem like drama queens.

Keep Calm

and

Use Your Heads

No one here is predicting the entirety of the 8th generation of consoles based on Watch Dogs not being a killer app. You know what else reeked of this?

Assassin's Creed 1. Ran at 720p.

The PS3/360 boasted consoles that could have games with true 1080p resolution. We didn't get that from many, if any 3rd party multiplatform titles until the begging of the end of 7th gen.

If you though the first major 3rd party multiplatform title of 8th Gen was going to be anything more than baby steps with the tech compared to 7th gen, you fell for the marketing of E3 last year and have been coasting on wishful thinking since.
720p was acceptable back then. The majority of console games did 720p.

The equivalent of this would be games at the beginning of the last gen running at 480p.

1080p is the standard of the future, and then 4k will replace that later. Upscaling is not an excuse because that's how jaggies are made.

Its like zooming into a Jpeg. It gets blurrier the more it gets upscaled.
Exactly, you can't justify charging people $500 to $600 or so for a new console when it isn't doing much more than the previous one - especially after all the promises made that better graphics, games and gameplay were coming.

Heck, Watchdogs might be a killer game at 30fps and 900p, but if you're going to fork out more cash, wouldn't you want the extra 30fps and 180p? If it's going to do the same thing your previous gen console is going to do, why not play it on a console you currently own? Why demand consumers buy a next gen console for a game that isn't A. Doing what it promised and B. Not taking gaming in a new or better direction?

Graphics aren't everything, I get that, but this isn't a good sign. If the PS4 needed more power to run the game at 60fps and 1080p, it would make the argument that it is more cost effective than PC redundant because they'd need to install better hardware, which would cost more.

People used to get excited for new console releases but it just isn't the same. What we're getting, instead, is the PS3.1 and the Xbox360.One. There was a vast difference between the PS1, PS2 and PS3. What progress have we made with the PS4? I remember not being able to afford a PS3 but when I got it, my eyes lit up because the games I liked looked better and were smoother. God of War, Tekken, Ridge Racer and even Gran Turismo (yes, I'm that guy) just seemed to get better with each generation.

Now they've hit a point where they're playing catch up with better technology and the game is getting more expensive.

Let's put it this way: If someone sold you a PC that would struggle to play games smoothly after 6 months and it cost about $600, wouldn't you be a little disappointed? Now imagine you can't lower the settings to achieve 60fps and you can't reinstall your old games which would gladly run at 60fps and that $600 or so just doesn't seem to be going as far as you thought it would.

This isn't even a "PCs are better" battle. It's now become a value for money battle.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
wolfehound22 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
the metacritic article shows PC got 46 games with 75 points on metacritic or higher, ALL the other consoles combined got a total of 21 games with 75 points or higher

well lets see, since nothing remarkable was really relesed last year for either the PS4 or the Xbone i say we ignore it, this year the PS4 got infamous second son, a highly anticipated, highly marketed, AAA exclusive, it got an 80 on metacritic, the following games scored equal or higher on metacritic

Age of Wonders III - 80
ETHER One - 80
The Banner Saga - 80
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - 81
Broken Age act 1 - 82
The Blackwell Epiphany - 84
SMITE - 84
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - 87 (tough a console port is expected to arrive later this year)
Kentucky Route Zero - Act III - 92 (tough this only has 4 reviews so far)

plus if you only game on PS4, you wouldnt be able to play these PC games

Titanfall - 86
Heartstone - 88
Year Walk - 87
Steins;Gate - 86 (only 4 reviews so far)

and if you had an xbox one you wouldnt be able to play any of the above either, minus titanfall but adding luftrausers and towerfall ascention to the list

one could actually say PC is getting WAY too many good games at the moment, game development there is becoming crazy competitive
Thanks for the reply, see an argument like that carries more weight than just saying "so and so has mroe games". I will say since the PS4 released it has 36 games rated 75 or higher. Now some of these are releases that have already been on pc or PS3, but that still doesn't take away that there are a good bit of games. The tough thing now a days, is so many games released are indie games, and let's be serious here, most aren't graphic powerhouses, and whether you have a pc or PS4, you are getting to play a lot of these titles now.

I was never arguing that PS4 was better, I was simply trying to say it's not as horrible as a lot of posters are making it out to be. Were there some promises that were made that haven't been deliverd on yep, are there not enough exclusives sure, but I've had one since launch and have enjoyed my time with it. If you have a high powered pc already, than yea there is no reason to get it, but I do not, so all the indies that have been released have been fantastic for me.
i wouldnt say its a waste of money, in fact its probably the best home console at the moment, and i certainly like the stuff sony has been doing with PS+ (besides making it mandatory) and indie games

what i will say is that in general this console generation has been somewhat disappointing

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
wolfehound22 said:
Strazdas said:
wolfehound22 said:
Actually if you looked at any of my posts I never brought up the amount of games being a positive, I was replying to someone that brought up the argument that pc has more games, who was replying to someone else. I just don't believe that is a valid argument. Now, if you reply to me like the other person and say, well the pc has seen "x" number of highly rated games compared to the others, than yes I will agree with that.
you are correct, it was a poster called "Kungfusam" that did and i havent looked at the names enough.

PC has more games, either by volume alone of for highly rated ones, so bringing that argument is always going to be a loss for consoles. I do not bring that argument in defence for PC though. thats because i personally believe that games should be ported to all platforms if possible.

Rozalia1 said:
We talked about emulation, don't recall any talk of this subject unless it was a throwaway line somewhere. No need to be so bloody hostile by the way, I'm not going to bite your head off.

Define PC. Where is the set in stone product? Pre-built I suppose, but even then you'd have to only include the ones that set out compete with consoles in the living room.
Now I suppose you'll lambaste me with the pick and mix computers you can build missing the logic being used. Disagree with it fine whatever, but don't dismiss it completely.
we talked about many subjects. you seem to be posting a lot on PC related topics.

PC stands for personal computer, which would include your consoles. however PC as used in general is an open ended box either a desktop or a laptop running Windows or linux. Macs do not fit into the open ended box requirements because they are locked up systems. altrough you can build a open ended mac yourself. prebuilts are the easy example, but homebuilt also fall into that category.

all PCs that can game compete with consoles. the idea that PCs are bound to desks or that consoles exist only in living rooms is stupid generalization. the competition isnt abou that even. the competition is for your time. if you want to spend time playing games and only have X amount of time, these machines compete for that time and you chose one youll have more fun on.

Also just one post down Jumbo Palace gave you a personal example on why your original comment was wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
This gen is so last gen. And we're already a year in. Where is the 7th gen optimism? Where is the wonder that anything is possible? At the beginning of the gen?
Somewhere in TEH FEWCHUR along with Microsoft's grand vision and competent hardware design.

Mad World said:
So much for this generation of consoles. They can't even manage 60 frames. Or, perhaps, Ubisoft has no idea what they're doing.
It's hard to tell the difference sometimes, isn't it?

Rellik San said:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Wii U port actually supported 1080p 60fps?

Anyone? At all? Nope? Just me then?
I'd be amused.

saltyanon said:
THE HUMAN EYE CAN'T SEE 60FPS ANYWAY! YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!
But you totally can't. I mean, true, the human eye is complex and the capacity for detection is largely contingent of varied criteria, but the human eye doesn't process images that fast so there.

>.>

<.<

Back to my corner.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
JUMBO PALACE said:
This makes no sense. I used to play consoles, now I use a PC. Simple no?
So you didn't game on the PC at all before? Dropping something is different than jumping.

JUMBO PALACE said:
Your experience is not necessarily the norm. Look it is what it is. This gen of consoles is not delivering on its promises and can't even manage to run games at 1080p. That's sad and people should be getting more for their money than empty promises. At least with a PC you build it yourself and know what it's capable of.
As with all internet communities a lot of whinging goes into complaining about X and wanting Y. When Y is given than they turn on Y and than want Z.
There is always talk about how everyone is disappointed in the new gen...when their only evidence of this is the usual IGC complaining.

Strazdas said:
we talked about many subjects. you seem to be posting a lot on PC related topics.

PC stands for personal computer, which would include your consoles. however PC as used in general is an open ended box either a desktop or a laptop running Windows or linux. Macs do not fit into the open ended box requirements because they are locked up systems. altrough you can build a open ended mac yourself. prebuilts are the easy example, but homebuilt also fall into that category.

all PCs that can game compete with consoles. the idea that PCs are bound to desks or that consoles exist only in living rooms is stupid generalization. the competition isnt abou that even. the competition is for your time. if you want to spend time playing games and only have X amount of time, these machines compete for that time and you chose one youll have more fun on.
And I post a lot on racism related topics, that supposed to mean something?

Your consoles? Didn't make that generalization, merely that a bunch of pieces you buy off the internet do not in fact equal a competing product, unless you're saying the big three are also competing with a cabal consisting of AMD, Nvidia, Foxcon, or whatever. Not dismissing it all completely of course, but I don't believe it how you do.

What are the figures on pre-builts not advertised as living room "consoles" being used as such? What are the figures on the ones actually advertised as "console" PCs?

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Meanwhile on PC people are downscaling resolutions. They got so much juice it's overflowing!

Not the end of the world but it definitely sucks, especially with the FPS.
I'm still perfectly fine with 30 but 60 is just so much better.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
i wouldnt say its a waste of money, in fact its probably the best home console at the moment, and i certainly like the stuff sony has been doing with PS+ (besides making it mandatory) and indie games

what i will say is that in general this console generation has been somewhat disappointing
Well everyone is entitled to their oppinion. For me I've been fine with this gen so far, it hasn't blown me away, but neither did the PS3 6 months after launch. So for what we have had, great indie support, and Infamous, which in my opinion was better than anything we got within the first year on either of the last gen consoles release, I asy it's been an ok start to the gen.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
Strazdas said:
you are correct, it was a poster called "Kungfusam" that did and i havent looked at the names enough.

PC has more games, either by volume alone of for highly rated ones, so bringing that argument is always going to be a loss for consoles. I do not bring that argument in defence for PC though. thats because i personally believe that games should be ported to all platforms if possible.
Agreed, I may be a fan of the PS4, but I'd never argue it was better than the PC, whether that be on the amount of games or quality of game. For someone in my situation, I think it is a very good console with a lot of potential for the future, if I had alittle more income, than I'd probably make a nice PC, but as it stands I am happy with my PS4.

I'm also less and less a fan of exlusives as I get older. I guess the only brightside is there really aren't that many exclusives anymore. Outside of a few first party games from each company, everyone gets everything.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
As with all internet communities a lot of whinging goes into complaining about X and wanting Y. When Y is given than they turn on Y and than want Z.
Oh now. we want things to get better. how terrible are we.

Rozalia1 said:
And I post a lot on racism related topics, that supposed to mean something?

Your consoles? Didn't make that generalization, merely that a bunch of pieces you buy off the internet do not in fact equal a competing product, unless you're saying the big three are also competing with a cabal consisting of AMD, Nvidia, Foxcon, or whatever. Not dismissing it all completely of course, but I don't believe it how you do.

What are the figures on pre-builts not advertised as living room "consoles" being used as such? What are the figures on the ones actually advertised as "console" PCs?
no, merely that our opinions have already clashed on these topics and you may simply not remmeber it because you post a lot and dont necessarely remember everything.

prebuilt computer sales have been decreasing while hardware sales have been increasing. increaisng so much actually that its estimated that over half of PCs out there is not OEM prebuilts (can be local shop prebuilts, would be counted as hardware sales in these data collections). its not a piece of market im willing to just dismiss.

i cannot give you numbers of how many people connect their PCs to their TVs. Nor can i give you the number of how many people that buy console use it in their living room. All i know is that there are far more PCs out there so if we are talking in absolute numbers (opposed to fractions) then PCs are very likely to overtake it.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
Oh now. we want things to get better. how terrible are we.
If the IGC is never happy even when given what they want...than pleasing them becomes near pointless. The common customer does not have all these massive complaints that crop up on places like this.

Strazdas said:
no, merely that our opinions have already clashed on these topics and you may simply not remmeber it because you post a lot and dont necessarely remember everything.
I remember full well that there are only two threads I've posted in that is solely about PCs, and even then that would be misleading. One was in regards to some marking out by a man who should know better, and another was emulation and its legality.

How your comment came off to me was you implying I visit every PC thread to do whatever it is you think I do.

Strazdas said:
prebuilt computer sales have been decreasing while hardware sales have been increasing. increaisng so much actually that its estimated that over half of PCs out there is not OEM prebuilts (can be local shop prebuilts, would be counted as hardware sales in these data collections). its not a piece of market im willing to just dismiss.

I cannot give you numbers of how many people connect their PCs to their TVs. Nor can i give you the number of how many people that buy console use it in their living room. All i know is that there are far more PCs out there so if we are talking in absolute numbers (opposed to fractions) then PCs are very likely to overtake it.
So you have no figures while the consoles are enjoying what the IGC thought impossible (and will for all future consoles). PCs outside the specific ones I've brought up before cannot be considered as competing in the same market to me simple as.