Watch Dogs Contest Invites Facebook Fans Into the Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Watch Dogs Contest Invites Facebook Fans Into the Game

Gamers in the U.S. have a chance to appear as a pedestrian in Ubisoft's Watch Dogs thanks to what may be one of the most ironic contests ever conceived.

preview [http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Dogs-playstation-4/dp/B00BI83EVU/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369674384&sr=8-1&keywords=Watch+Dogs] that Pierce has good reasons for doing what he does, but the cost and consequences of that fundamental and very widespread violation of privacy promises to be one of the game's central themes.

In that light, Ubisoft's decision to run a "have your privacy violated" Watch Dogs contest on Facebook app [https://www.facebook.com/watchdogsgame], log into your Uplay account (yes, you'll need one of those too) and then fill in the blanks and, optionally, upload a photograph. 15 entrants will be selected at random to appear as NPCs in the game, and 50 others (restricted to those who included a photo with their profile) will be get exclusive Watch Dogs wallpapers and have their information used in promotional materials.

Entrants must be at least 18 years of age and residents of the U.S. (minus Rhode Island for some reason), and of course willing to surrender whatever personal information Ubisoft requests in the name of cheap entertainment and fleeting "fame" - 15 winners for 15 minutes, you might say. I still can't decide if this contest is subversive or just dense, but I'm leaning toward the former. Does that make a difference? Smart or stupid - will you play either way?

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I'm giving Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt. Snapple's giant popsicle which, predictably, melted all over the streets of Manhattan was simply stupid. This one is related to the themes of the game and puts people in the role of Aiden's victims. So clever or stupid, I'm interested.

Colbster94

Mar 26, 2012
I'd love to hack myself in a game. Okay, now to buy the game and search endlessly looking at all 5,000 NPCs until I find my name.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I'm appreciating the irony. No more than Facebook itself, they are merely encouraging idiots who like making their life details public. Making their details even more idiotically public.

I certainly won't be entering the competition since I loathe Facebook with an intensity that is practically divine and I like my private details private.

But Fair enough for those that do.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This is actually a really cool idea. And it could have funny consequences.

"Hey bro! That's me!"

*SPLAT*

"You're a dick."

The

Jan 24, 2012
What my in-game bio would look like:

"Moe Foe"

"Age: 190"

"Professional Badass Superstar Megalord"

"Don't stare too long"

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Being from Belfast Ireland myself, if this Pearce Aiden guy says he's from "NORTHERN" ireland, rather than just say ireland than any normal irish person while an English TWAT would say Northern, I'l be pretty pissed off.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Couldn't get passed the 2nd sentence.

'Aiden Pierce' - The picture clearly shows that his surname is spelled 'Pearce' (the correct way!).

Yes, my surname is also 'Pearce' and people spell my name 'Pierce' all the time. It's one of those things that really bothers me haha

'Pierce' seems more like a first name (e.g. Pierce Brosnan) while 'Pearce' is more a surname (e.g. Guy Pearce).

I'm going to name my son 'Pierce', therefore he will be known as 'Pierce Pearce' lol

Marley

May 2, 2013
Hey its not like it can be any worse then that awful hitman facebook game which got everyone raging over how sexist and inappropriate it was

Davo

Sep 14, 2009
Watch Dogs sounds like a really cool, and this contest is a really clever way to create some buzz for this game.

It's just too bad that it has to go through the stupid Ubisoft UPlay thingie... Oh well...

Check us out on GalacticGamers.com!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
sooperman said:
I'm giving Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt. Snapple's giant popsicle which, predictably, melted all over the streets of Manhattan was simply stupid. This one is related to the themes of the game and puts people in the role of Aiden's victims. So clever or stupid, I'm interested.
This the kind of thing that takes a sledgehammer to the 4th wall. I like it.