Watch Dogs: One Week On, 4 Million Sales

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Watch Dogs: One Week On, 4 Million Sales

1 million sales in the first 24 hours following its release; that's a lot of cybercrime!

Watch Dogs, Ubisoft's new cybercrime IP, has been tearing up sales records recently [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134951-Watch-Dogs-is-The-Fastest-Selling-New-IP-in-The-UK-Ever], with 1 million sales in the first 24 hours after release; and now Ubisoft's announced 4 million sales in the first week alone. Looks like the launch delay - and the extra polish it allowed - was a sound move, as Watch Dogs is now Ubisoft's best selling game in week one.

Sure, a significant increase in PS4 hardware sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128707-Watch-Dogs-Delayed-to-2014] on the back of Watch Dogs' success.

"The results we achieved in the first week of launch are amazing and prove Ubisoft's commitment to developing new blockbuster IP and thoroughly new-gen experiences," says Ubisoft's Darren Bowen in an official statement. Ubisoft's hoping Watch Dogs will become another go-to series like Assassin's Creed, which in its total lifetime has sold 76 million copies worldwide.

So, Watch Dogs 2 anyone? Maybe Ubisoft can find a way to smuggle a sea chanteys collectible side mission into modern day Chicago.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/465831/watch-dogs-sells-4-million-in-first-week/]

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
How about this, Ubisoft. Re-invest the profits into some R&D into new franchises / ideas and form new teams to develop them. Split push new IP's instead of immediately saying "So, Watch Dogs 2 anyone?"

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I wasn't fond of this game as it is now, so I can't imagine just how much worse it will have been with a few months less development time.

Kinda scary to think about really.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Lncredible said:
How about this, Ubisoft. Re-invest the profits into some R&D into new franchises / ideas and form new teams to develop them. Split push new IP's instead of immediately saying "So, Watch Dogs 2 anyone?"
What's the point? you don't need much money or RD to create "a new IP", just take the characters and give them random new names and faces.

Watch Dogs itself has a not particularly unique universe, all of it's minor innovations might have as well been done inside a pre-existing IP.

I'm not saying that would be BETTER, just that it's entirely irrelavant. "New IP" is copyright lawyer's jargon, rather than a source of creativity as far as entertainment criticism is concerned.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Hey, how about some trade-in statistics for this game, I heard people had more fun playing 'trade it in' than the game itself.

Cause you know, it's a steaming pile of over-hyped mediocre shit.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
It's amazing what hype and marketing can do. The game is mediocre in every conceivable way.
Thats been my impression of it. I was wanting a cyberpunk narrative, near future game. So far the closest I have is Deus Ex Hr which is good but I was hoping for something new.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
this mediocre, soulless thing has sold 4 MILLION units? wtf is wrong with people?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
teebeeohh said:
this mediocre, soulless thing has sold 4 MILLION units? wtf is wrong with people?
Most people don't care about graphics, super tight game play, generic characters and simple game mechanics. Is the game great? Probably not, but so far I've pretty much enjoyed what I've gotten through regardless of a few minor hiccups here and there. Honestly if this shows anything it is that full on gamers don't realise that they're not the majority of gamers. A majority of people who play games do it as a couple of hours a week and Watch Dogs is a game that is perfect for that.

I imagine this is gonna go the same way as Mass Effect 3. Hardcore gamers crying about a decent game for a long, long time, the rest just having a bit of fun and moving on.

To anyone who cares, Watch Dogs is a part of the AC universe

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Must be console sales, because Steam stats have shown Watchdogs at <40k peak players every day since launch.

Hell, Football Manager 2014 has consistently had more Steam players online than Watchdogs.
You can't judge by Steam stats since retail copies and any keys from a retailer that is not steam goes directly through uPlay.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
bug_of_war said:
Great, now I have no interest in playing it at all.

Ubisoft and their damn conspiracy boners.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
bug_of_war said:
Wha...WHAT?! Since when!?

EDIT: And after a visit to the Internet, i found this http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-includes-cameo-easter-egg-from-assassin-s-creed-4/1100-6420043/

It was one mission and it was an easter egg, Assassin's Creed lead writer Darby McDevitt said they are not connected.

It's simply a small crossover, nothing more.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Of course it did. Massive amounts of publicity and hyping the game to high hell tends to do that. Doesn't hurt their sales either that most gamers don't care about the graphics fiasco or go too deep into the story.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
bug_of_war said:
What? Wow. Thank you, you just saved me a full price purchase.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
And it already has DLC! Good for Ubisoft. Just goes to show that marketing is becoming more important than honesty.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Kind of disappointed about this. I say kind of because after all the bullshit lies (specifically the bullshots) and ridiculous amount of collectors editions and the shit they're putting (non-nvidia) pc users through right now they really don't deserve this level of success. Yet I still wanted it to be at least somewhat successful, at least enough to merit Ubisoft supporting it with patches and to have a pretty ambitious open world game get some limelight as opposed to yet another linear "cutscene-o-riffic" game getting all the praise and money.

I'm torn, really... I just hope that those enjoying the game at least acknowledge all the bullshit that surrounds it, because Ubisoft shouldn't get off Scott-free you know?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
teebeeohh said:
I'm going to suggest something a little crazy. Maybe they liked it?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
blah blah blah.... ubisoft bad....
blah blah blah... steam rules....

Seriously, I enjoyed the game, it didn't make me think too much and I thought it looked great oh and
Azaraxzealot said:
I'm torn, really... I just hope that those enjoying the game at least acknowledge all the bullshit that surrounds it, because Ubisoft shouldn't get off Scott-free you know?
no gaming company should really get away with the hype they surround games with, you'd think it was the second coming how some games are promoted!

Top tip, ignore the hype, play the game, then make an informed decision.