Watch Dogs Review - No Hack Job

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Watch Dogs Review - No Hack Job

Slickness and polish turns an ordinary open world game into something more special.

Read Full Article

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
TopazFusion said:
This game reminds me a lot of the TV show Person of Interest.
This so much.

I love the show Person of Interest, and to see the idea of knowing a crime is going to happen before it does and being able to stop it, as well as being a vigilante and the whole cameras everywhere thing, I would say that Person of Interest and Watch Dogs do have some correlation with each other.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I couldn't find this review neither on the main page, nor in the reviews section. I had to go through metacritic to get here. What's up with that?

OT: Glad to hear it's good, I've heard some mixed signals about this one from a couple of sources. I might pick it up somewhere around tomorrow (today's evening will be pretty much reserved for the 4th episode of The Wolf Among Us).

EDIT: Nevermind, it was hidden below. Still, this is really well hidden for an AAA release.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
[quote/]I wish Aiden himself had a bit more personality outside of "gruff wronged man," but sadly we have an industry-wide epidemic of that stock character.[/quote]

wow industry...that makes me want to buy the game so [i/]haaaaaarrrrrrd[/i]

[quote/]It has to be said - a baseball cap is not iconic if yet another growling photogenic white guy is underneath it. You can't just baseball cap your way into the history books, Ubisoft![/quote]

its a way of adding charachter without actually adding charachter...everyone loves a funny hat right?

ok sarcasm aside...I'm actually surprised at the high score...I did pre-order this one (ded sec and everything) but given my shift in prioritys I decided not to bother picking it up...I don't need to own a statue of this douche, not do I need the game right now, I got other things to suck away at my bank account

see how the other reveiws pan out...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, good to hear that its good but still not something i want now. maybe if its really cheap to get but otherwise, pass.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Wasn't expecting such a big score for this one out of you Jim. Happy to hear that it's good.

Playing it myself and being a collectible maniac/sucker for side stuff this game is pretty great. Been playing for a couple of hours and I have barely touched the main campaign (usually do that in open world games).

LR100

Nov 19, 2012
You know, I was really expecting this to be one of those "It's bad and you'll all agree with me in 6 months." kinda games. Everything that Jim says he likes and is good seems to be what everyone else finds boring, bland or plain terrible. He may like what he likes, but it's very confusing to have to balance the gushing praise against everything else.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
LR100 said:
You know, I was really expecting this to be one of those "It's bad and you'll all agree with me in 6 months." kinda games. Everything that Jim says he likes and is good seems to be what everyone else finds boring, bland or plain terrible. He may like what he likes, but it's very confusing to have to balance the gushing praise against everything else.
What exactly is "everything else?" Briefly running through metacritic, the game's got an overwhelmingly positive score. "Everyone else" seems to largely number anecdotal and contained variants of users who briefly quip about something or other that they dislike to the point of hyperbole, which most of us probably wouldn't find as a compelling form of critique (unless we also planned to not play a game for the rest of our lives). Seems a bit blanketing (and untrue) considering it's been out for... half a day at the most?

OT:
Glad to hear it's good. I'll try to check it out, although I've other things to look forward to at this moment in particular. I do have friends who are definitely going to play though, so I might just bum off of them when they're done with it.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Picking up Dedsec edition after work around 15:00 or so. Can't wait! Glad to hear my pre-order was not for naught, Jim. <3

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
maybe someone can answer me this:
angry joes interview, the dev guy said that other players can join the campaign. jim didnt mention any of it. did i misunderstood that guy in the interview?

Shayman

Mar 6, 2014
Your writing is always a joy to read Jim. I feel like I should be excited about this game, but I'm not. It seems to be getting pretty high praise though, I might pick it up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
From reading this review I get the impression that this is another Ubisoft game that's quite good overall, but burns itself out with the amount of stuff it throws at you. Far Cry 3 had it, and so did Assassin's Creed 4.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
TopazFusion said:
This game reminds me a lot of the TV show Person of Interest.
From what I've seen, it's basically is "Person of Interest The Video Game" in most respects, while the protagonist is pretty much John Reese (badass special forces guy) and Harold Finch (uber hacker) put together. If they were going to make a Person of Interest video game and have it actually be good, this is probably what it would have been like.

I am so sad that I won't be able to get this game for a week or so thanks to having to wait for the new computer I ordered to get here. The anticipation is going to kill me.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
The special edition of the game in Australia and New Zealand is called the "ANZ edition" https://ebgames.com.au/xbox360-158023-WatchDogs-Xbox-360 unfortunately this is also the name of a banking institution http://www.anz.com.au/personal/ not sure if the bank will be to happy about that given the content of the game.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Per usual though, the PC port right now is terrible, at least for the majority of people it seems. Playing with my 780ti, I get horrible stutter, significant frame rate drops and screen tearing, making the game pretty much unplayable right now. Looks like I'll have to wait for a patch for a new game...again.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Looks very nice indeed. One thing I'd like to know is how the 'old' generation console version does. I can't be bothered to get a PS4 yet and my PC is horribly out of date, so I'd like to check out the PS3 version. Does anyone know if it's any good?

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
GundamSentinel said:
Looks very nice indeed. One thing I'd like to know is how the 'old' generation console version does. I can't be bothered to get a PS4 yet and my PC is horribly out of date, so I'd like to check out the PS3 version. Does anyone know if it's any good?
Agreed. I plan on picking up a PS3 this X-Mas (I don't play games online enough to warrant paying for XBL), so I'm hoping there will be a GOTY Edition of Watch_Dogs by then. Assuming it's not a wreck. I've heard people say that multiplat games don't fair well on the PS3. I don't know if there is any truth to it though.

GumbaMasta

May 8, 2008
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Per usual though, the PC port right now is terrible, at least for the majority of people it seems. Playing with my 780ti, I get horrible stutter, significant frame rate drops and screen tearing, making the game pretty much unplayable right now. Looks like I'll have to wait for a patch for a new game...again.
Have you updated your graphics drivers? That apparently fixed most issues I had with the graphic performance. That or it was the thirty pounds of dust motes I brushed out of the cooling fans.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Yossarian1507 said:
I couldn't find this review neither on the main page, nor in the reviews section. I had to go through metacritic to get here. What's up with that?

*snip*

EDIT: Nevermind, it was hidden below. Still, this is really well hidden for an AAA release.
The embargo was up at 3 a.m. ET, we can autopopulate the features area and news but not the top section. That is done manually. This should be updated soon.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sounds like I should wait for it to go on sale.

I get the praise it got in the review, and it's probably well deserved. But hearing about the mundanity and repetition sets off my particular alarm bells.

Vault101 said:
its a way of adding charachter without actually adding charachter...everyone loves a funny hat right?
It's not even all that funny, though. ;)

RatherDull said:
4 and a half stars while having no less than 3 huge ads on one page.

Uh huh.
Like advertisements have ever stopped the Escapist from bashing something bad.