Watch Dogs Revised PC Specs Are Even More Demanding

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Better step up on my new tower.

Specs are finally going up, lets hope that devs and publishers don't get lazy with the PC versions.

Apr 5, 2008
I have to say, this is good news and I'm really starting to warm to Ubi again. A troubled relationship but they seem to be seriously set on giving the PC a good experience. Not a fan of uPlay, but on the basis that it isn't origin, i can live with it. I have a beast of a PC so even on max I'm quite sure this won't make it break a sweat. So tired of games being held back by such pathetic tech requirements. Ubisoft, more like this!

Now if only they hadn't changed the voice of Sam Fisher in Blacklist :-(

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
InterrogationBear said:
Wow, look at all those features I don't care about. Keep trying Nvidia, maybe someday you will actually have something I want.

OT: jumping jebuz on a pogo stick those requirements are insane. And here I was being silly and thinking I could spend my Christmas money on something besides playing PC spec catch-up for once. Sigh, at this rate I'm gonna need to crossfire my HD7950 (which is problematic seeing as the exact card I have is discontinued) and upgrade to 16 GB of RAM. And possibly a 2TB hard drive with game installs getting increasingly massive. PC gaming y u cost so much?

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I have that sinking feeling that these specs are addressing lazy optimisation rather than a spectacular port.

i7 3770K
GTX680
16 GB DDR3

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Lies. This is one of the first official "next-gen" games. So they either want the PC gamers to buy consoles or better PC hardware. No way those are minimum requirements.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
WELP. My PC be fucked. It's been going good for 5-6 years now with no upgrades and I was thinking it was time to upgrade the GFX and CPU and RAM but then I thought that chances are the MOBO won't work with entirely new stuff due to old chipsets and the I would have to get a new PSU anyway.

Basically I have to get a new comp entirely

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Revolutionary said:
I have that sinking feeling that these specs are addressing lazy optimisation rather than a spectacular port.
I'm with you on that one. These Gen 8 PC ports seem to be badly optimised, bloated messes.

Then again:
InterrogationBear said:
The problem is, Nvidia paid them to increase the requirements.

Remember, COD is still using a heavily modified Quake 3 engine.
It is kinda funny how much more reasonable BF4's requirements are compared to these. You know, the game optimised for AMD. Not that I'm implying anything with that statement ¬_¬

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
The best way is to just wait until it is out and wait for performance reports.
If those are the real requirements, they are artificially kept high for dubious reasons. If it runs on a 360 and a Wii U, it should run well on any PC currently able to play games also on those systems. If not, then they are using shady (shader?) practices to either boost console/hardware sales or to avoid optimizing the game, in which case they'd deserve to fall on their snouts.

I certainly won't get a new PC until the new console gen is well established. If I'd get one now, I'd have to either upgrade and then still get a new PC during that console gen or I'd have to upgrade near the end of that gen.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Yea i got this covered. Might need 2 4gig RAM sticks more but thats just if i REALLY want to be on the safe side.

Now the more important thing is; Does it need Uplay, or is just getting it on steam enough.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
KevinHe92 said:
I still don't get how this game can run on a GTX460 BUT the new Call of Duty needs a 780 on recommended settings.
Isn't the minimum graphics card for COD:DOG more like a GTX 550Ti?

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
rofltehcat said:
The best way is to just wait until it is out and wait for performance reports.
If those are the real requirements, they are artificially kept high for dubious reasons. If it runs on a 360 and a Wii U, it should run well on any PC currently able to play games also on those systems. If not, then they are using shady (shader?) practices to either boost console/hardware sales or to avoid optimizing the game, in which case they'd deserve to fall on their snouts.

I certainly won't get a new PC until the new console gen is well established. If I'd get one now, I'd have to either upgrade and then still get a new PC during that console gen or I'd have to upgrade near the end of that gen.
That's on the assumption that the last-gen console builds will be the basis for the PC build. It's far more likely that they're creating a high-mesh, high-res, shaderrific version for the next-gen consoles, and that's the build getting ported to PC.
Legion said:
My poor 4GB RAM, I cannot even run it on minimum specs. Not that I particularly want the game mind, but it is definitely time to start considering an upgrade or a new computer. The next generation is out of my reach otherwise, it's only going to get higher.
Or, buy 8GB RAM for like $80 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428]. Problem solved.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Aside from my i5-3330 I seem to hit the recommended specs.

Dec 16, 2009
what is going on with these specs recently?

the games are gonna run on PS3, PS4, 360 and Xbone, why we needing super beefy rigs to hit recommended settings.

the APU's are only 1.6ghz on the PS4/Xbone! what are the graphics card specs, anyone know?

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Well, so much for 'future proofing', less than a year old and I'm already down to minimum rec. Admittedly, I did build on a budget and I did build it at the tail end of a console generation so I suppose I only have myself to blame.

The only thing I'm hitting on the recommended specs is RAM. My i5-3570 and GTX650 should be enough to at least play it, but obviously I won't be anywhere near up on a decent level of visuals. Still, if I come across a spare £150, I guess I could update to a 2048MB VRAM card pretty easily. But that processor requirement... damn, I definitely don't have the money for an i7, let alone the new mobo, cooling and power I'd probably have to source. I also really don't want to have to reinstall the OS, or any of the other menial tasks required of upping the mobo.

Guess I'm hoping on a demo for this to check whether the performance hit will be tolerable, or if I'll just leave it another year till I get a PS4.

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
You don't have anything in your game to have that high requirements, Ubisoft. And I won't buy console to play Watchdogs (that's what you want me to do with your awful PC port optimisation) either. I'll just ignore you. Well done. EA is proud.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Somehow, I think all of us who bought 2500k and 3570k processors have nothing to worry about. Now RAM on the other hand... time to break out the money and get 16gigs! (I so dislike my Frio CPU cooler for blocking two of the ram slots, and my computer case not having a decent cut out so I can unscrew the monster.) =(

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Mr Ink 5000 said:
what is going on with these specs recently?

the games are gonna run on PS3, PS4, 360 and Xbone, why we needing super beefy rigs to hit recommended settings.

the APU's are only 1.6ghz on the PS4/Xbone! what are the graphics card specs, anyone know?
IIRC The Xbone and PS4's GPUs are at 1.6 and 1.8 TFLOPs respectively. That might put them on par with an HD 7790 and 7850 respectively.

I'm assuming uncompressed textures designed for higher-res 4K displays. That, or it will have large, contiguous maps.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I maintain what I said in a previous thread, between how cold my case runs, the 8 gigs ram and radeon 6000 series graphics card. I bet I can run it pretty smoothly with some of the heavier post processing turned off, probably about 45fps. I'm not too worried about the upping of the minimum processor requirement.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some form of spec creep, so we'll see another hike before launch, designed to get us mid tier PC Gamers to pre-order the more expensive next gen version of the game.

As I also said, I hope they do the smart thing and before PC launch release a benchmarking tool for it.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
I dunno... this suggest poor optimization or lack of graphic customization, rather then true next gen graphics. Videos of the game released before do not look that much better than Far Cry 3 or AC3.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Hawkeye21 said:
I dunno... this suggest poor optimization or lack of graphic customization, rather then true next gen graphics. Videos of the game released before do not look that much better than Far Cry 3 or AC3.
To be fair, for a game like this to work, there is probably a lot more going on under the hood than you'd think. Just ask EA how difficult it is to create realistic traffic density algorithms.

But that's just a possibility, we'll see what happens.