Watch Dogs Revised PC Specs Are Even More Demanding

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Roofstone said:
Thank goodness I am getting this on console. Don't have to worry about minimum specs and so on. (Specs I would not have been able to fulfill on my budget)

Also, didn't Viard just blatantly lie?
No, but you do have to worry about choppy frame rates and install sizes like the rest of us. It's looking increasingly likely that the hard disk on the Xbone will have space for under ten installed games, score one for future proofing!

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Rellik San said:
To be fair, for a game like this to work, there is probably a lot more going on under the hood than you'd think. Just ask EA how difficult it is to create realistic traffic density algorithms.
Welp, I happen to know for a fact that creating realistic traffic density algorithms is not CPU intensive, as it boils down nicely to solving a very well-known class of mathematical problems (traffic representation in a city is basically a weighted graph with some quirks, like weights depending on time of day). Pedestrian and cars will be popping in and out as soon as they are out of sight anyway, so I don't think its that much of a problem... Anyway, prudent thing to do for Ubisoft would be to release a benchmarking software in advance, so potential customers can test how the game would run, and decide on whether or not to upgrade their hardware. If they don't release it, I don't see myself buying this game any time soon.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Hawkeye21 said:
Welp, I happen to know for a fact that creating realistic traffic density algorithms is not CPU intensive, as it boils down nicely to solving a very well-known class of mathematical problems (traffic representation in a city is basically a weighted graph with some quirks, like weights depending on time of day). Pedestrian and cars will be popping in and out as soon as they are out of sight anyway, so I don't think its that much of a problem... Anyway, prudent thing to do for Ubisoft would be to release a benchmarking software in advance, so potential customers can test how the game would run, and decide on whether or not to upgrade their hardware. If they don't release it, I don't see myself buying this game any time soon.
Fair enough then, but I guess it depends on how persistent they want the city to be and weather minor events are scripted or entirely random, plus I suppose generating individual date for upwards of 50 on screen characters (even if from an RNG) would be fairly taxing. I don't know I'm just ball parking ideas here for why it could require such a monster requirements, so feel free to disregard anything I say in this context.

But yeah, I know a great many PC Gamers who'd feel better about the whole lack of a demo thing, if companies released some form of Benchmarking tool (which they probably have to create for optimisation purposes anyway) say a week prior to launch when the game is already in or heading out to stores.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Let's hope all of these system resources are put to good use, rather than just lazy and poor optimization (hi Rockstar and GTA IV).

I get the feeling this is a lazy port from consoles. Either way it's going to be a while before I upgrade so I'll pass this up until the day I have a new rig and see this on a sale.

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
If they don't have a demo or a benchmark this will be what Crysis 1 was to a lot of people (for me).

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Aced and exceeded the recommended specs.

This is going to be a sweet ass looking game or the most poorly optimized mess I ever saw blowing Rome 2 out of the water. It might also just be a marketing stunt as some other people have pointed out where we get an average looking game that runs smoothly on almost any system but only the recommended specs can push it to the max.

I just like to thing that they stopped lowballing their specs and actually put the real recommended specs on there. Either no longer afraid of scaring off people or Nvidia covered a part of their budget in hopes of it being a card seller.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Mr Ink 5000 said:
what is going on with these specs recently?

the games are gonna run on PS3, PS4, 360 and Xbone, why we needing super beefy rigs to hit recommended settings.

the APU's are only 1.6ghz on the PS4/Xbone! what are the graphics card specs, anyone know?
Theres likely 2 base versions of the game the 360/ps3 gen and the xbox one/ps4 gen versions, and given the latter is much closer to PC archtecture already, and PC gamers would howl with rage at being given the older generation version the specs are preetty unsuprising.

While there could be greater scaling I doubt they'd be able to push it much lower with good optimisation. The min quoted quad CPUCPU on the intel side is postively ancient, an modern 8 core machine clocked at comfortably over half should be able to do better (about 4 and a half years old).

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Petromir said:
While there could be greater scaling I doubt they'd be able to push it much lower with good optimisation. The min quoted quad CPUCPU on the intel side is postively ancient, an modern 8 core machine clocked at comfortably over half should be able to do better (about 4 and a half years old).
The Q series buffered with about 8gigs of ram still give I3's a run for their money. As ancient as they are there is a reason enthusiasts love them for mid-end rigs. Of course I'm not saying they aren't getting on a bit, but if in terms of ageing processors;
The Q series is Carol Voderman/Marina Sirtis... despite their age, still absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Rellik San said:
Petromir said:
The Q series buffered with about 8gigs of ram still give I3's a run for their money. As ancient as they are there is a reason enthusiasts love them for mid-end rigs. Of course I'm not saying they aren't getting on a bit, but if in terms of ageing processors;
The Q series is Carol Voderman/Marina Sirtis... despite their age, still absolutely drop dead gorgeous.
The age I was more putting forward as part of reason for a lower clocked CPU being on par, especially one that has twice the cores.

They are a fine range and I have a Q8200 in mine (so missing by a whisker) but that doesnt mean a more modern desing even if it is clocked lower wont improve upon it. The RAM I'd need to buff a bit as still only on 4 gigs.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Wow, i don't even meet the minimum requirements even though everything else ran on high just fine until now.. I'll have to try it before i believe it, i remember the same thing happening with my old rig that according to the requirements shouldn't have run half the games i played on it on medium or higher. Not even sure that this game is worth upgrading, since the last Ubisoft game i liked was Farcry 3 and it wasn't really worth buying a new system for.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Petromir said:
Rellik San said:
Petromir said:
The age I was more putting forward as part of reason for a lower clocked CPU being on par, especially one that has twice the cores.

They are a fine range and I have a Q8200 in mine (so missing by a whisker) but that doesnt mean a more modern desing even if it is clocked lower wont improve upon it. The RAM I'd need to buff a bit as still only on 4 gigs.
Ahhh it's cool, I didn't mean for that to come off as defensive, just as an example of how smart overclocking and system design can work together with older parts to give you a much nicer experience than others my expect. :) If you're running a LGA775 proc, you can pick up a budget DDR3 compatible motherboard for about £40 these days, won't have shiny bells and whistles, but with PCI-E 2.0 support as well, you can find yourself an amazing stop gap solution until your big upgrade.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Rellik San said:
Petromir said:
Rellik San said:
Petromir said:

Ahhh it's cool, I didn't mean for that to come off as defensive, just as an example of how smart overclocking and system design can work together with older parts to give you a much nicer experience than others my expect. :) If you're running a LGA775 proc, you can pick up a budget DDR3 compatible motherboard for about £40 these days, won't have shiny bells and whistles, but with PCI-E 2.0 support as well, you can find yourself an amazing stop gap solution until your big upgrade.
Pity its a Dell (picked up for a pittance in a high street end of line sale) with an almost unheard of motherboard form factor so the case would need to be replaced.

The SSD and 560ti have kept it moderatly capable but I fear that the time to go for broke and build a new high end machine is getting closer.

Hankering for a i7 and titan based rig (so it can complement my work as the titan is the best single GPU card for that outside the pro quadro range which i cant afford and arnt suited to a hybred gaming/render machine, and dual GPU cards or SLI set ups would entail a 650+vat software upgrade).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Teoes said:
I call bullshit - just the same as that COD Ghosts story, this is a game that's also to run on current-gen consoles.
They're far more likely to rely on the next-gen system version to port it, assuming it's even a port. Specs will still be closer to next-gen devices, so....

I mean, believe it or not, there can be multiple versions of a title.

Mar 5, 2011
This is one of those games that will still look awesome on low settings. Crysis 3 on min looks better then a lot of games on high and I expect that Watch Dogs will be the same. Even if your computer barely meets the minimum spec then you can still expect it to look amazing.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
KevinHe92 said:
I still don't get how this game can run on a GTX460 BUT the new Call of Duty needs a 780 on recommended settings.
I dare to say Ghost is unpolished as hell.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
My theory is that the definition of "Recommended Setting" is changing. 7 years ago it would have meant 1680x1050, today people are running 3DVision, Tri-1080p displays, 120+ hertz monitors, etc. I game at good old 1920x1200, which suits me fine but makes me think these recommendations aren't actually directed at me.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Teoes said:
I call bullshit - just the same as that COD Ghosts story, this is a game that's also to run on current-gen consoles.
The requirements are much more reasonable this time around, though.

In this case, "more reasonable" means "climbing K2" rather than "climbing Everest". :p

OT: Whelp, looks like it's time to get moar RAM. And maybe a better CPU.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'll be happy to skip this gen if they keep ramping up the specs like this for a shitty 6 hours game, or in this case, a 20 hours game with 12 hours of fluff, effectively making it an 8 hour game.

The only game that can truly make me upgrade my PC is The Witcher 3.