Watch History Get Rebooted in Terminator Genisys Trailer

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Not sure about old man Terminator, he also seems very human, I guess his exterior ages, but it would be nice if he was still cold and distant, like a machine. Anywho... this looks mostly promising, Khaleesi's acting is mediocre at best in those scenes, Kyle Reese looks too much like a bro ready to chug some brewskis, but the "Star Trek (2009)" treatment alone makes this no longer shit all over the continuity of the first two movies, so I am surprisingly happy. Also asian t-1000, even if not intended, fits great into the timeperiod as a menace. Now I want to know how Matt Smith fits into this and if he is Doctor Who and responsible for the timey wimey non-sense.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
This looks like it could be decent but why the hell is there always a comment chain asking for and confirming the leaked version on every one of these brand new trailers?! Is it a ruse to get you to click a link after 30+ comments or is it all sarcasm, what is with that?

Mar 26, 2008
At first I was like "man this looks B grade" and then they cranked up the kick-ass and now I'm on board. Arnie jumping out of a helicopter and ploughing into another helicopter head-first!? That's gold!

I was a little skeptical on the T-1000 at the start too. Hand blades; yawn, seen it before. Then he chips one off and turns it into a javelin... Awesome!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
On the one hand, the movie looks entertaining enough. It's kind of silly, and aging Arnold terminator doesn't inspire badassery so much as he reminds me that I'm getting old (and I'm only 24 damn it!) but at the same time, this is exactly what I expected when I was told that Arnold was on board for this movie, and the way they have him in it makes total sense.

As far as the plot goes, I think it's disappointing how it basically shits on Terminator 1 and 2 (you know, the good ones) and completely removes any and all of the interesting character developments in them.

Anyway, this looks better than I expected (I expected total crap, like Salvation). The action looks entertaining, and I'm interested in where it's going to go. Despite that I kind of feel dirty watching the trailer. It felt like the writers looked at Terminator 1 and 2 and thought "big deal, we can do better, add more explosions" and that's just wrong on so many levels. I'm not going to sit here and say that those movies were perfect (seriously, the kid in T2 was dreadful), but they were some of the best action movies ever made, and if you're going to come in and "reboot" them with the idea that you're doing a better job then that's one hell of an uphill battle that I don't think this movie is going to win.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
It looks fun. Don't know that I'll see it in theaters, but that's a pretty high bar for me, so that's not necessarily a slight.

(Also, small bit of commentary about things this trailer and the Jurassic World trailer have in common: nostalgia pandering with music is perfectly okay when that music was and still is awesome.)

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
looks good for a late night cable romp. I'm not that eager to watch it, too many nostalgia elbows to the ribs in this movie from the looks of it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, it could hardly be worse than Terminator: Salvation.

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm definitely waiting for the critics to take their pass, first.

Second thought: The problem I see, coming in, though, is that someone clearly thinks this is the respawning of the franchise. Terminator can be pretty entertaining, but I don't really want to go through another series of movies where the heroes can't make any real progress against their foes because [time travel wibbly wobbly].

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Color me intrigued. Just straight-up rebooting it is ambitious. I was born the same year as the first movie, so this is a hell of a way to celebrate 30 years. How the older T-800 got to Sarah's childhood, why a T-1000 was sent to '84, and how Sarah knew Kyle would be there are mysteries I have to see answered.
I'm going to say something really crazy and say I did not hate Salvation. Still not as good as 1 or 2, but better than 3 (though that's not saying much). I can hear you now measuring and cutting the wood you'll use to build the cross you want to nail me to, so I'll wrap this up now.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Wow, they actually edited the trailer well. I'm surprised. Even bringing back a classic song from a band probably hardly anyone knows.

Doesn't help that it still looks bland and that all the actors sound like amateurs. I'm cringing at every line, except for the "Run!". That's cracking me up. Emilia should not have any yelling parts. Bloody oath

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I think that the Battlestar Galactica Cylons looked better than some of those Terminator shots. That is some bum ass ugly CGI.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
I see that Terminator's approach to continuity is "Fuck it, it's time travel, let's go nuts." Which puts it in the same league as the Command & Conquer Red Alert series. But in all seriousness, is it really asking too much to just admit that this series (and Schwarzenegger) has maybe, JUST maybe overstayed its welcome? And that by greenlighting this movie, something fresh was denied a chance?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Urh said:
I see that Terminator's approach to continuity is "Fuck it, it's time travel, let's go nuts." Which puts it in the same league as the Command & Conquer Red Alert series. But in all seriousness, is it really asking too much to just admit that this series (and Schwarzenegger) has maybe, JUST maybe overstayed its welcome? And that by greenlighting this movie, something fresh was denied a chance?
I'm sure if they didn't make this they'd be making The Running Man 2. Have to milk all the Schwarzenegger franchises now that he's acting again and still alive. After this they'll make Junior 2, in which the baby from the original movie has grown up and Schwarzenegger is going to be a grandfather, with wacky results!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The thing that impresses me with this is how they have managed to feasibly explain Arnie getting along in years, it fits quite well that hes actually an old T-800 with aging biological components over its endoskeleton.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
J Tyran said:
The thing that impresses me with this is how they have managed to feasibly explain Arnie getting along in years, it fits quite well that hes actually an old T-800 with aging biological components over its endoskeleton.
I'm just hoping they get the rumoured King Conan movie done before he's truly passed it. I think there's a lot of mileage to be gained out of that idea; an old and weary Conan desperate to have one last great adventure and possibly find that glorious death in battle he's been searching for.

OT: I like the future war segments, they even brought back the laser guns I liked in the original two's own glimpses but the rest of it is pretty so-so, aside from the T-1000 throwing a piece of himself as a javelin. That's pretty cool.

Also, this probably bugs me way more than it has any right to, but for some reason Jai Courtney seems far too "fit", or maybe "healthy" is the right word, for a man who's spent his time eking out an existence on little sleep and food fighting an apocalyptic war. Maybe it's just a result of people having access to better health and fitness training, but he looks like he's spent a lot of time in a gym....during the robot uprising and war.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
If only the trailer didn't make it seem like a wholesale rehash of the first two movies right down to repeated one liners and set pieces.

There's a decent idea underneath it all.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
Ya I'm that guy. The perpetual teal/orange really bugs me. Every scene looks like Tron. Dull blue mist and glaring orange lights. Bright tangerine skin and gloomy night time navy. I know it shouldn't be such a big deal but its really disappointing. It only highlights the gulf between the look of the originals that ought be emulated and the look of modern Michael Bay style blockbusters this film actually is emulating. The dust falling from the vault roof and bus on a bridge stood out massively for briefly breaking the monochrome. Not exited. Doesn't awaken my nostalgia because none of the movies of my childhood looked anything like this.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
Sarah Connor kicking ass with the old T-800 already as the events that kickstarted the first film's plot are happening is exactly how you "reboot" something like the Terminator without spitting in the face of the original. It even facilitates good guy T-800 facing the original bad guy T-800 even if it's just a throwaway "cool" scene. Pander to me, movie. It's disgustingly obvious and I love you for it.

I was skeptical but they totally sold me on the premise, now just make it good and I might even forget the god-awful name.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
This looks like a really bad idea.
Akin to remaking Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan. Just don?t. Please?

The Terminator franchise already suffered with the 3rd and 4th movie. I think it would be alright to let it die.
This is just a mesh up of the first and second movie because they are already out of ideas and try to appeal to the nostalgia of the audience. At best this can be a nonsensical popcorn flick at worst it is the final nail in the coffin of the Terminator franchise and an insult to the fans? wait a second? I think I messed up the sequence there?

Captcha: idk my bff j ill

WHAT?

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
I have no real attachment to the Terminator series but this looks off for some reason.

Everything seems acceptable: effects, acting, basic premise are not great but they serve the purpose for a fun cheesy movie

I guess it's age that making me feel unenthusiastic about this. After action movies like the Raid and the fact that I've gotten my robot fix with Ghost in the Shell now, there is nothing for terminator to offer me.

It will probably be average and competent but I won't really care.