Watch John Marston Kill Zombies in the Red Dead: Undead Nightmare Teaser

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Watch John Marston Kill Zombies in the Red Dead: Undead Nightmare Teaser

Just in time for Halloween, John Marston fends off an undead swarm in this trailer for the Undead Nightmare DLC.

I was actually worried that Rockstar was just trying to cash in on the whole zombie thing. I can forgive Treyarch adding zombies to World at War or even to a Black Ops multiplayer mode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103868-Activision-Launches-Undead-Black-Ops-Teaser]. Hell, even the Borderlands DLC The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned made a certains bit of sense. But combining two very different genres like horror and Westerns just seems disingenuous and like a blatant grab for cash, especially since Red Dead nailed Westerns so perfectly.

On the other hand, if you were going to release an undead-themed DLC, you couldn't find a better month than October. And you know what? If it's fun to kill zombies using Red Dead's shooting mechanics, and it probably is, then who cares about historical accuracy? You'll have to watch the teaser trailer below and decide for yourself.

Because Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare are rated M, you have to go through an age gate to view the trailer.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2106-Red-Dead-Redemption-Undead-Nightmare-Teaser]

Click Here to watch Rockstar's official teaser trailer for Undead Nightmare. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2106-Red-Dead-Redemption-Undead-Nightmare-Teaser]

Earlier quest-givers from the main Red Dead Redemption storyline figure prominently in the teaser. It looks like Marston is reunited with Bonnie MacFarlane to help defend her ranch, and there is a quick shot of the very much alive Leigh Johnson, the Marshal of Armadillo.

The zombie infestation isn't restricted to humans, there are undead horses, dogs ... and dear god, is that a zombie bear?

Yeah, I think this looks interesting.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I was kind of hoping...

to play as Jack and fight Zombie John Marston as a final boss.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
Hmm I suppose it looks interesting, and having missions based around zombies seems cool (praying for zombie cattle herding).

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
scnj said:
I was kind of hoping...

Yeah, it's a non-canon storyline. I imagine as being like John Marston watching one o' dem new-fangled vidja-films about zombies.

Jun 26, 2009
scnj said:
I was kind of hoping...

Me too but they could also...
Have you play as zombie Marston.
But they can't mainly due to they want to make it accesible to those who have not completed the main game.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Zombie Grizzly Bears! As if they weren't dangerous enough. Great.

Does this mean I'll have to kill my RDR savegame? because I really wouldn't mind.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
In response to the article itself, you might remember waaay back in the day there were a whole series of movies pitting famous gunslingers/outlaws against classic monsters with titles like "Billy The Kid Meets Dracula", and "Jesse James Meets Frakenstein" (I might have the titles wrong, but they were similar to that). Not to mention the massive beating the Western got at the hands of ongoing shows like "The Wild Wild West"

There was even an entire RPG setting called "Deadlands" dedicated to the idea of western horror. Not to mention the simple point that the west was kind of on it's last gasp around the time of the 1890s which means that Cowboys and latter-end western stuff (like in RDR) fit in well with the entire Victorian Horror setting because you had some of this western stuff in America when Dracula was typically portrayed as haunting London or whatever.

It can be made to work rather easily, depends on the writing.

Who knows, maybe we'll even see a guest apperance by Doctor Loveless (or some analogy thereof). :p

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
Zombie cougers.

Oh Goddamnn it.
Ninja'd by my own worst nightmare...

Well what he said and...I can't wait, love me some zombies!

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
I like how Rockstar are even putting another brand new storyline in just to make it that more tasteful. It sucks that it doesn't seem to be multiplayer related too, but either way, shooting zombies with a winchester is going to keep me going for some time.

Although I want to see what they do for the guys who have completed the main story..

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
"But combining two very different genres like horror and Westerns just seems disingenuous and like a blatant grab for cash, especially since Red Dead nailed Westerns so perfectly."

Someone's obviously never heard of the Weird Wild West sub-genre....

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
wonder if they figured they should do something with the zombie horses [http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie_Horse]

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Now I admit that this looks awesome and I was already considering getting this game and this has proably sealed the deal, but how are they going to let us play the other parts, I.E. story with a horde of slavering mutants on our trail.

Are they going to have free roam to spill into towns and destroy as they see fit or is it going to be fenced to keep them from killing/destroying plot central items?

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Now I admit that this looks awesome and I was already considering getting this game and this has proably sealed the deal, but how are they going to let us play the other parts, I.E. story with a horde of slavering mutants on our trail.

Are they going to have free roam to spill into towns and destroy as they see fit or is it going to be fenced to keep them from killing/destroying plot central items?
Probably do what they did with GTA IV's Lost and the Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony - you select which 'game' you want to run, then load a save.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
"But combining two very different genres like horror and Westerns just seems disingenuous and like a blatant grab for cash, especially since Red Dead nailed Westerns so perfectly."

Someone's obviously never heard of the Weird Wild West sub-genre....
Yeah, but their point was it started of as a simple western, and changing that simply by adding zombies seems like a cash in. If it had been a Weird Wild West game from the start, then sure, I doubt there would be any objections.