Watch Leaked Amazing Spiderman Clips

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Watch Leaked Amazing Spiderman Clips

Andrew Garfield hams it up in a blue and red costume.

I think I'm the only person in The Escapist office who doesn't hate the third Sam Raimi Spider-Man film. Nevertheless, cramming Venom and Sandman in the same movie might have killed the franchise enough to warrant a prompt reboot, but what I've seen of Andrew Garfield - who you might recognize from The Social Network - there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to see his Amazing Spider-Man over Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker. These three clips unlocked from codes found in Kellogg's breakfast cereals through a promotion and promptly uploaded to YouTube by a Spanish speaking gentleman don't change that first impression.

In the first bit, Garfield is awakened on a New York City subway car and jumps up to grab the roof, frightening innocent commuters in the process. How did he get away with that without wearing his mask? And why was he asleep on the subway? Doesn't Peter Parker know that's illegal? So many questions.

The second clip is supposed to be funny, with Spider-Man in full regalia toying with a crook by sticking him to a wall with webbing. The sneezing gag is pretty funny, I suppose, but there's something off about Garfield's smarmy delivery.

The final clip repeats an age-old joke but not very well. Unused to his super-human strength, Peter Parker can't even brush his teeth without smashing the tube, ripping off the faucet and finally the door knob. I don't have a problem with reusing good sight gags, but Sam Raimi basically did the exact same thing in the first Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire fumbling around his bedroom.

Here's a free tip for Marc Webb on directing The Amazing Spider-Man: If you're going to remake a movie, don't directly steal scenes from the previous director's interpretation.

Next thing you know, Webb will ask Bruce Campbell to do a cameo.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
There's smoke coming out of his wrists in the second clip. They're going back to the web cartridges?
He says in the clip that he invented it, so yeah.

Second clip kind of amused me, honestly.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
There's smoke coming out of his wrists in the second clip. They're going back to the web cartridges?

Looks like a Bruce Campbel cameo is just about the only thing that could make this movie bearable at this point.
Soviet Heavy said:
That still looks awful, and his acting is making it worse.
I think Garfield has forgotten the meaning of the word sincerity.
The worst part is that I like him as an actor. He was great in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, so why is he so awful here?

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Bleeahhhhhhhh....not really liking this at all.
This guy just seems like more of a jerkass than Toby MacGuire's Spidey.

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
Agreed.

Maybe some goofy music cues can soften the tone, but as it stands, the scene with the crook just feels way too much like a bully saying, "Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?"

Not Spider-Man.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
DVS BSTrD said:

Looks like a Bruce Campbel cameo is just about the only thing that could make this movie bearable at this point.
Soviet Heavy said:
The worst part is that I like him as an actor. He was great in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, so why is he so awful here?
Maybe the studio is just trolling fans? You know what I'm going back to the pretending I didn't see this blanket.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Not only that, but look at the way he stands in the second clip.
The way he's positioned, His stance is nothing like you expect from Spider-man.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
This is like that parplexing hulk remake, that went into production the SAME YEAR as the release of the OTHER hulk movie, and were both ABOUT the genesis of the Hulk. So it was essentially the same movie, released twice, but with a different subplot. It was so weird...

This is a needless remake! Raimi's movies were completely and utterly demonstrably fine! Sure the third one tripped at the last hurdle. But it's too soon!

A remake in 20 or 30 years I can understand, but why now!?

vid87

May 17, 2010
The smarmy tone does kind've give off a creepy vibe, almost sounding cruel in a way. That said, one of the few things I really missed from the Raimi Spidermans were the one-liners: it was funny, sure, but there was something charming about SM's banter in the cartoons and comics. This might be the only thing that actually makes me want to see this...maybe.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Hammeroj said:
I can see the "too easy" line as a little chuckle-worthy, but really, this reeks of nothing but 'meh'.

And I don't like this Garfield guy at all. Didn't see anything special about him in Social Network, and seriously not seeing Spider-Man in him.

Fuck it, I'll be honest. Looks like shit.

Robert Ewing said:
A remake in 20 or 30 years I can understand, but why now!?
Because Spider-man 2 and 3 broke box office records, and because, allegedly, Raimi decided not to work on the fourth movie after too much meddling by Sony.
I guess that's all it boils down too. A guiltless money grab.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
DVS BSTrD said:

Soviet Heavy said:
I will direct you to Ryan Renolds. Watch Buried... then watch the Green Lantern.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
It looks painfully average, though as always I have to see the full movie to fully judge it.

P.S. Don't feel bad Greg, I liked the third Spider Man movie too!

May 17, 2010
I have a suspicion that these clips might not be in the actual film, instead being just used as teasers.

I kind of liked the webing one. Wasn't actually funny but the concept was cool.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
OK I'm with you on not lifting from Raime's Spiderman and all. But by God if Bruce Campbell wants to do a cameo then Bruce Campbell should be able to do a cameo! First rule of the universe; Everything is better with Bruce Campbell in it. End of story. :)