Watch: Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Trailer

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Your questions aren't terribly clear. I shall try to answer the general gist of what you seem to be asking.

The game starts upon or shortly after the arcs arrive in Andromeda. (There might be some prologue stuff regarding their departure but the game proper takes place entirely in Andromeda.)

It is presumed that it's an attempt at a Noah's Arc plan. Send a bunch of people to colonize Andromeda so if the Reapers wipe out everyone in the Milky Way then at the least the various species won't be extinct. There is a single line of dialogue in ME3 that supports this, in which the Asari Councillor says, "There are preparations to make, the continuity of civilization to consider."

There is no indication that the Reapers are concerned with Andromeda in the slightest. They're only ever considered as being a Milky Way thing. Granted, there's no specific reason to believe they aren't reaping it up in Andromeda. I can basically guarantee they won't show up though, after the ME3 ending nobody at Bioware is going to want to touch the word "reaper" with a ten foot pole.

However, as far as I'm aware there has never been a specific confirmation in any of the material or by any of the developers that the arcs were made with the intention of Noah-ing the Reaper invasion. It's just been assumed by the audience because it kinda makes sense. In fact, one the Andromeda Initiative videos says the project was "launched" the year before the invasion. That could mean they literally launched off into dark space before the Reapers showed up or it could mean they began construction that year, then got a whole lot more motivated when the Reapers came a-reapin'.

Bottom line is that the whole Andromeda premise is Bioware trying to put as much distance as possible between their new game and That Ending. I wouldn't be surprised if they say the arcs left the Milky Way before the Reaper war started and nobody in the game ever mentions reapers at all. Which would make sense since the reapers weren't widely believed in basically right up until they set about ruining everybody's shit. However, that would just lead to more questions. For instance, would that mean that any Krogan coming along are still nigh-infertile due to the Genephage? Why are they undergoing a massive effort to leave a supposedly safe and still massive and relatively unexplored Milky Way?

Bottom-bottom line is that it's a retcon of sorts. They're retroactively sticking a major development into the setting that was never mentioned in the previous games. That's going to inevitably result in some narrative awkwardness.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:
It is presumed that it's an attempt at a Noah's Arc plan. Send a bunch of people to colonize Andromeda so if the Reapers wipe out everyone in the Milky Way then at the least the various species won't be extinct. There is a single line of dialogue in ME3 that supports this, in which the Asari Councillor says, "There are preparations to make, the continuity of civilization to consider."
It isn't. The Arks were launched 1 year before the Reapers showed up in force, and the initiative was based on establishing a trade route between the galaxies - basically long-term planning.

Zhukov said:
There is no indication that the Reapers are concerned with Andromeda in the slightest. They're only ever considered as being a Milky Way thing. Granted, there's no specific reason to believe they aren't reaping it up in Andromeda.
I think it's easy enough to explain. The Reapers exist outside the Milky Way, nothing's ever been said about them being at an equidistant point between galaxies. Since their interest only lies in the Milky Way, there's no reason to go into slumber any further out then they have to. And since the Reapers are following the Catalyst, which is basically a slave to its own programming, there's not really any reason for them to consider Andromeda.

Zhukov said:
However, that would just lead to more questions. For instance, would that mean that any Krogan coming along are still nigh-infertile due to the Genephage? Why are they undergoing a massive effort to leave a supposedly safe and still massive and relatively unexplored Milky Way?
There's four Arks - one for humans, one for salarians, one for turians, one for asari. It can be presumed that any krogan are just along for the ride. Which isn't a plothole - most krogan don't seem to care about long-term survivability in the original trilogy bar Wrex, they just go with the flow.

Zhukov said:
Bottom-bottom line is that it's a retcon of sorts. They're retroactively sticking a major development into the setting that was never mentioned in the previous games. That's going to inevitably result in some narrative awkwardness.
Nah, not really. At the most, it's a soft reboot. The Arks are retroactive, but they don't actually retcon anything.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hawki said:
Zhukov said:
It isn't. The Arks were launched 1 year before the Reapers showed up in force, and the initiative was based on establishing a trade route between the galaxies - basically long-term planning.
Yeah, I mentioned that in my post.

Thing is, the initiative being "launched" could just mean begun rather than physically departed.

Do you have a source confirming they actually leave pre-clusterfuck?

I think it's easy enough to explain. The Reapers exist outside the Milky Way, nothing's ever been said about them being at an equidistant point between galaxies. Since their interest only lies in the Milky Way, there's no reason to go into slumber any further out then they have to. And since the Reapers are following the Catalyst, which is basically a slave to its own programming, there's not really any reason for them to consider Andromeda.
Eh, like I said, it's all a moot point.

I'd bet hard currency there aren't going to be Reapers or anything remotely reaper related because Bioware never want to hear that word ever again.

Although I wouldn't put it past them to pull some other Ancient Evil out of their arses. I still have a soft spot for Bioware but I'll be the first to admit they stick to their fucking formula like dead insects to flypaper.

There's four Arks - one for humans, one for salarians, one for turians, one for asari. It can be presumed that any krogan are just along for the ride. Which isn't a plothole - most krogan don't seem to care about long-term survivability in the original trilogy bar Wrex, they just go with the flow.
Well, the initiative's head engineer is a Krogan, so they aren't all "just along for the ride".

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting it was a plothole. It's just going to be awkward. Are they still pissed off about the Genophage? If not, why the hell not? If so it's going to feel like a retread.

Nah, not really. At the most, it's a soft reboot. The Arks are retroactive, but they don't actually retcon anything.
Hence my use of the words "of sorts".

No, they don't actively remove anything from canon but they are trying to say that a intergalactic colonization effort somehow went unmentioned in the previous games. And that's before you get into the details. For example it's been detailed that they invented a new kind of engine to drive the arcs, one which circumvents the needs to discharge static. Gee, that would have been handy back in ME3.

It's going to be awkward. Period.

The only reason I'm not grumpy about it is because I'm glad they're starting (relatively) fresh instead of doing a prequel or trying to salvage the wreckage of The Ending That Shall Not Be Named.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:
Do you have a source confirming they actually leave pre-clusterfuck?
https://www.vg247.com/2016/11/08/the-cast-of-mass-effect-andromeda-left-the-galaxy-before-the-reaper-invasion-in-the-original-trilogy/

Zhukov said:
Although I wouldn't put it past them to pull some other Ancient Evil out of their arses. I still have a soft spot for Bioware but I'll be the first to admit they stick to their fucking formula like dead insects to flypaper.
Maybe, but they're not the only ones guilty of using that formula.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
undeadsuitor said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
That face when she stole the gun. How EASILY she stole the gun.

https://twitter.com/GamingAndPandas/status/804931879350784000

Goddang Bioware, did your animation team leave with your better writers?

yeah, bioware has always had a problem with physical interaction. its why whenever someone hands something to someone, its always JUST offscreen
Yeah, but did they always have faces like that? When she's taking the gun she looks REALLY off. Like she's trying to imitate a face that she thinks she SHOULD be making.
Frostbite wasnt a lot of fun for the DIY faces for the characters in DragonAge, there's just something off about them.