JDKJ said:
Orannis0 said:
JDKJ said:
Orannis0 said:
JDKJ said:
Orannis0 said:
JDKJ said:
Orannis0 said:
Yet another reason why I have just have an Ipod Touch in conjunction with a basic $20 samsung flip phone.
What makes you think your Touch isn't tracking you through your wi-fi connect?
There isn't wi-fi everywhere, and routers/modems don't hold location data unless they're also connecting to a 3G network. At best an Itouch would only provide an infrequent and random smattering of location data for a meager few locations, as most people know enough to at least have WEP encryption.
WEP encryption alone won't protect you. You're never ever fully protected unless you're wearing a tin-foil hat. Trust me on that.
A wireless device cannot automatically connect to an encrypted router or modem without the key, or a crack of some sort. Therefore it would be unable to access the network of its own accord.
OK, fine. Don't make yourself a tin-foil hat and wear it at all times. But don't then say I didn't warn you.
A tinfoil hat is actually useless; tin is highly conductive, and isn't a dense enough metal to properly block waves. You need a lead hat, or at least an industrial steel one.
If a tin-foil hat is useless, then explain to me how I just knew not to go down to my office on Wall Street on the morning of 9/11 when George W. Bush and Haliburton unleashed their diabolical plot to control Iraqi oil by deliberately crashing two commercial airliners into the Twin Towers? I'll tell you how I knew: I was wearing my tin-foil hat that morning, that's how.
Aaannnnnnnnd there goes any credibility you had left.
Fine. If I have to choose between lost credibility and having my mind controlled by Apple's gamma rays, I'll take the lost credibility every time.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
That sounds pretty nasty.

If anyone who can get their hands on your Iphone can know where you've been, then privacy - especially between people who live together - just took a critical hit for massive damage. Plus, the file could always be extracted by Apple and used/sold for marketing purposes.

Vitvol279 said:
Good thing I always have my GPS turned off. Unless it some how tracks my phone even when off. If that's the case then who wants to buy a used iphone?
FAQ on the site linked in the article said:
As far as we can tell, the location is determined by triangulating against the nearest cell-phone towers. This isn?t as accurate as GPS, but presumably takes less power.
If your phone has reception, your location is apparently being recording.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Imperator_DK said:
That sounds pretty nasty.

If anyone who can get their hands on your Iphone can know where you've been, then privacy - especially between people who live together - just took a critical hit for massive damage. Plus, the file could always be extracted by Apple and used/sold for marketing purposes.

Vitvol279 said:
Good thing I always have my GPS turned off. Unless it some how tracks my phone even when off. If that's the case then who wants to buy a used iphone?
FAQ on the site linked in the article said:
As far as we can tell, the location is determined by triangulating against the nearest cell-phone towers. This isn?t as accurate as GPS, but presumably takes less power.
If your phone has reception, your location is apparently being recording.
Wow... well I'm not buying an iphone then.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Ampersand said:
I don't really have anything to hide, so whom so ever wants to track me can just have at it.
You don't have anything to hide, so you won't mind if I follow you everywhere you go, right?
You don't have anything to hide, so you won't mind if I go through your house, right?
You don't have anything to hide, so you won't mind if I strip search you, right?

Privacy isn't a matter of what you have to hide or don't have to hide, it's part of basic human DECENCY, something that's sorely lacking these days. You have a basic right to have some privacy until you do something to otherwise warrent having it taken away.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
Ampersand said:
I don't really have anything to hide, so whom so ever wants to track me can just have at it.
You don't have anything to hide, so you won't mind if I follow you everywhere you go, right?
You don't have anything to hide, so you won't mind if I go through your house, right?
You don't have anything to hide, so you won't mind if I strip search you, right?

Privacy isn't a matter of what you have to hide or don't have to hide, it's part of basic human DECENCY, something that's sorely lacking these days. You have a basic right to have some privacy until you do something to otherwise warrent having it taken away.
"DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!" That's all that need be said.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Irridium said:
This is apple. It is not the least bit surprising that they would pull something like this.

And this is why I don't buy Apple products.

And I think I know what they're doing with it, or will be doing. They're probably planning to sell it to advertisers or anyone who wants info on someone else. Again, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

Screw you Apple.
this is a huge bonus in terms of helping to prosecute criminals. if someone has an alibi and an iphone, confirming that alibi can be as simple as scanning their iphone data. yea, it's mildly invasive, but as long as the information is only retrieved if you're involved in a criminal case it doesn't seem too worrying to me

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
mrdude2010 said:
Irridium said:
This is apple. It is not the least bit surprising that they would pull something like this.

And I think I know what they're doing with it, or will be doing. They're probably planning to sell it to advertisers or anyone who wants info on someone else. Again, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

Screw you Apple.
this is a huge bonus in terms of helping to prosecute criminals. if someone has an alibi and an iphone, confirming that alibi can be as simple as scanning their iphone data. yea, it's mildly invasive, but as long as the information is only retrieved if you're involved in a criminal case it doesn't seem too worrying to me
That ain't no kinda alibi. Who's to say that Suspect X was the one actually using the phone? It could just as easily be their co-conspirator doing so in order to establish a phony alibi (pun intended) for Suspect X.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
JDKJ said:
mrdude2010 said:
Irridium said:

Screw you Apple.
That ain't no kinda alibi. Who's to say that Suspect X was the one actually using the phone? It could just as easily be their co-conspirator doing so in order to establish a phony alibi (pun intended) for Suspect X.
not necessarily, but at the very least it could instantly disprove their alibi if they had it on them while they were somewhere else. if they say they gave it to someone else, they have to find that person, and that person has to lie to the investigators. obviously a smart criminal would leave stuff like that behind, but there are plenty who won't. i would imagine a robber might bring his iphone to communicate with the other people he's working with if need be, so their phone being in the bank at the time would certainly be a strong indicator of their potential guilt. obviously is not perfect, but it helps

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
mrdude2010 said:
JDKJ said:
mrdude2010 said:
Irridium said:

Screw you Apple.
not necessarily, but at the very least it could instantly disprove their alibi if they had it on them while they were somewhere else. if they say they gave it to someone else, they have to find that person, and that person has to lie to the investigators. obviously a smart criminal would leave stuff like that behind, but there are plenty who won't. i would imagine a robber might bring his iphone to communicate with the other people he's working with if need be, so their phone being in the bank at the time would certainly be a strong indicator of their potential guilt. obviously is not perfect, but it helps
Either way you cut it, there's no way to be 100% sure that the person actually using a cellular phone is Person X. It could just as likely be Person Y or Person Z.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
JDKJ said:
mrdude2010 said:
JDKJ said:
mrdude2010 said:
Irridium said:

Screw you Apple.
Either way you cut it, there's no way to be 100% sure that the person actually using a cellular phone is Person X. It could just as likely be Person Y or Person Z.
true, but it could help

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
mrdude2010 said:
JDKJ said:
mrdude2010 said:
JDKJ said:
mrdude2010 said:
Irridium said:

Screw you Apple.
true, but it could help
Actually, now that I think about it some more, if there's any truth to the rumors that Apple has programmed their iPhones to periodically take photographs without the user's knowledge, then I guess that if that photographic evidence of the user on the phone in a particular location at a particular point in time exists, then you may have an air-tight alibi after all.

And before anyone accuses me of being "paranoid," see http://nextgenfmradio.com/2011/04/07/apple-iphones-snapping-secret-pictures-of-users-without-knowing/

That's why whenever I'm using Facetime, I pull my tin-foil hat down over my face. Tell me a tin-foil hat is "useless."

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Considering I dont own any Apple Products I think when they attempt to counquer they shall have problams with me as they have nothing on me

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
"Alasdair"? Didn't I help him fight an archdemon once?

(I'm too lazy to look through all of these comments to see if anyone already made that joke.)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
This phone is the best you will ever own! You will want to fork over $1200 for something that can be bought for $600! You will not question what I intend to do with the phone you bought!

-Steve Jobs.

Empireth

Wrenchmaiden.
Oct 24, 2009
Aeshi said:
How is this news? Just about any company can do this via tracing calls, Apple is just less subtle about it.
The problem in this case is not the fact that they are recording it, as, as you've said, any cellphone can find your location based on the cellphone towers when you make a call.

No, the problem is that this is being used to find your location even when you're not making a call. Even when you've got your GPS settings turned off. Every few minutes it is verifying your location and sending it back home to Papa. And what are they doing with it? They're leaving it as an unencrypted file. Personal location is pretty sensitive privacy information, and it's not something generic like what city you're in. No, it's pretty clear to whoever would be looking over the file where your house is as that'd be [assumedly] where you'd be most of the time. They would know where you live. Perfect strangers. Most times when companies tend to store this type of information, they encrypt it. Apple has failed to bother to do so.

BishopOfBattle said:
If you're honestly that concerned about privacy and concealing your movements and locations that you enraged over a file on your phone (and computer) tracking your location that 99.9% of the population will never know about and never would go looking for in the first place, then there's still holes in your logic. Why haven't you password protected your computer login so someone trying to spy on you can't get access to your data? Why have you left your phone, also not password / keypad protected, where someone can get to it? Both of those things, regardless of the GPS tracking file, give people WAY more personal access to your activities and misbehaviours than this one file.
That's not the problem. Not only is it being stored on your computer and on your phone... It's also being stored on the Apple servers. That's not so bad, is it? But hey, guess what. This information is being stored in unencrypted files. So if anyone hacks the Apple servers they have free access to your location. Bam. You can be found.

Thus, even if you do password protect your computer and your phone... as soon as their server is hacked, your preventions did nothing.

Vitvol279 said:
From what I understand, it manages to track your location no matter. Even if the GPS is off, it's tracking.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
first of all, if anyone here has an iphone and didnt see this coming, then /facepalm

I mean, every time you take a picture it ASKS if you want it to mark the location on gps too, and really, they want that info, its called data mining, so they'll get it if they want it, customer be damned.

It's my opinion that data mining is totally an invasion of privacy and our rights and shouldn't be tolerated, but they get away with it because government is on their side, not ours. Which is another thing people really need to wake up to.

So, I recommend that if you DO have an iphone, or really anything mac, to get rid of it (eventually), do some research and get a phone a DOESN'T spy on you, which im pretty sure is impossible now-a-days because every company is raking in the cash from all this data mining.

cheers.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
"The fact that anyone can grab that information from your iPhone with a simple download seems like a massive oversight on Apple's part."

In this case, "anyone" means "anyone with physical access to your computer or cellphone."

I don't know about you, but in the event that unauthorized individuals have unfettered physical access to my computer or cellphone for any length of time, about the least incriminating thing they'd be able to come up with is a heatmap of a set of points near where I've been. This isn't even GPS data, it's cell triangulation only. Zoomed in closely enough, and what the map shows is an evenly spaced grid on a map, showing places somewhat near places I've been, but nearly all in places I've never actually been, and several places I couldn't possibly have been.

Yes-- mobile devices are becoming more widespread, interconnectivity is becoming more pervasive, and networks are becoming more and more location-aware. There are certainly legitimate privacy concerns to raise in connection with this trend, as this article illustrates.

Does that mean every headline has to be written like a Watergate-era expose where the sky is falling because Steve Jobs' "plumbers" are coming to fix you by doing Something Bad? with Your Private Data??

Yes, I'm sure some people don't want this information recorded-- anywhere. It'd probably be a pretty good idea to lobby Apple to at least put in a preference for this. On the other hand, lots of people put multiple applications on to their phone to duplicate or enhance exactly this functionality. I can certainly imagine legitimate uses for having this data on the phone even in cases where a user might not necessarily have opted to have the feature turned on in advance-- such as figuring out where the phone has been at certain times if it is temporarily missing-- stolen, sold, then recovered, for instance.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
What about the iPod Touch models? Do they have this going on too?