Watch People Hilariously Misidentify Smash Bros Classic Characters

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
As someone who's never owned a nintendo console (outside of the original gameboy nearly 20 years ago) I didn't get too many of these either.

Don't quite get what the point of the video was though. That people who don't play nintendo don't recognise the characters? Not exactly a revelation.
If you were to show me a flick book of sporting heroes I'd have the same reaction as these people.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Dr. Crawver said:
AidoZonkey said:
I got all but one, and I have been playing this game every day since it came out. I love this game, but that roster is just too big to remember
Out of curiosity, which one was the one you missed? I nearly missed a few myself, but just scrapped through.
Shulk, the one character from the one game I never played. I mean who remembers Shulk, I just refer to him as 'That guy from the Xenoblade games

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
AidoZonkey said:
Dr. Crawver said:
AidoZonkey said:
I got all but one, and I have been playing this game every day since it came out. I love this game, but that roster is just too big to remember
Out of curiosity, which one was the one you missed? I nearly missed a few myself, but just scrapped through.
Shulk, the one character from the one game I never played. I mean who remembers Shulk, I just refer to him as 'That guy from the Xenoblade games
Yeah, can't blame you there. I only remember Shulk because me and my friends just keep yelling "I'm really feeling it!" at each other all the time, because of how stupid it is.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
hermes200 said:
Who the fuck is Marth and why is unlocking him considered a reward?

Sorry, just had to.

OT: I kinda get the feeling this was staged. I don't believe anyone could come up with anything as stupid as "Crow Fox" like that.

Vistorn

Nov 24, 2014
ailurus said:
balladbird said:
It's easy for us to forget how even the most iconic of characters in our gamer culture is a complete anomaly to people outside of gamer culture.
Agreed, and this goes the other way as well. How well would the average gamer do if you showed them a bunch of pictures of sports stars or late night comedians or Hollywood celebrities? Nothing surprising or amusing about this - heck, I doubt I'd score better than 50%, because I could care less about older Nintendo IPs.
To be fair sports stars, comedians, and celebrities are in my opinion significantly less distinguishable than some blonde haired kid with a green tonic and cap, or a "chewed piece of bubble gum" with feet. Interestingly the characters people seemed to have the most trouble distinguishing were the ones that were humanoid knights who all look way too detailed to have any defining features. I bet if people had seen some of these characters doing an action they were iconic for, like Astro boy (was that his name?) shooting his lemons from his lemon launcher, or Captain punch (or was it crunch) doing his falcon punch they would have more easily recognized them. If there was a comedian who could suck people whole and steal their hair-doo there's no chance in hell I wouldn't remember his name.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
That old guy answering every single one without knowing a single one. Gotta love that guy!

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Spot1990 said:
hermes200 said:
I am actually more impressed by the universality of Mario. You can guess that most of the people that immediately recognized him likely haven't touched a controller.

Not surprised by the results though. The ever increasing roster of characters means they had to move past the really familiar faces years ago... I know several "hardcore gamers" that would have a tough time identifying Shulk, Marth, Palutena or Lucario.
I only know who Marth is because of "Who the fuck is Marth?" From ZP SMB Brawl review back in the day. And I don't know any of those others. That being said I was a Sega kid and have only now in my adulthood started cathing up on missed out Nintendo by buying a Snes, N64 and a Gamecube.
Well, I was a Nintendo boy up to the SNES, and still have a hard time with almost half of them.

The ones I listed were found through the wiki page. There is no way I could get many of them otherwise...

Personally, I think this video is too much up his arse with its results. One could make the same thing with the same results in pretty much anything, including people laughing at "LOL, the ignorance of those noobs" in the comments...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
TallanKhan said:
OT: I kinda get the feeling this was staged. I don't believe anyone could come up with anything as stupid as "Crow Fox" like that.
To be fair, the real answer to some of those is not much better.

What is up with Captain Falcon not being a captain, or a falcon?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
That was amusing. But what was interesting was to see how random people have more contact with videogames than in the past. I'm surprised somebody recognized the Wii Fit instructor.

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Yo, Nintendo! Any chance we can add Larry to the list? Sounds like a good idea to me!
Larry's already in the game.

Bowser Jr's alternate costumes/colors are the SMB3 Koopa Kids.

XavierPrice

Sep 14, 2009
I actually got 100%. I love how few know the Fire Emblem characters. Granted, the only reason I know Robin, Lucina, and Shulk is because I've played Smash 3DS.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
EssThree said:
Nintendo has gotten pretty lousy at marketing the past few years. I feel like the original Wii succeeded DESPITE Nintendo's marketing efforts, not because. Even then, success is a subjective term in the Wii's case.
Agreed, I remember this advert from when I was a kid:

Mario's face on the fucking planet. No rush, slow pan of the camera, it took the time to be like "This is fucking Mario we're talking about here, remember this guy."
This advert wasn't off the TV for awhile, it was insane. These days its like a flurry of footage with "BUY IT NOW FROM THESE PLACES".