Watch Persona 4: The Golden In Action

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Watch Persona 4: The Golden In Action

Sony dumped a ton of video content featuring upcoming Vita titles this morning. Most crucially, this look at Atlus' Persona 4: The Golden.

Okay, so in fairness, the video is in Japanese. It was originally intended as a teaser for the Japanese version of the game, but since the game is also most likely coming to the English-speaking world at some point, we're still going to share this thing based purely on the idea that you all should see how pretty Persona 4 looks when translated to Sony's new handheld.

And how does it look? You answer should be either "gorgeous" or "stupid-crazy gorgeous." Anything else is a lie.

Fans of Atlus' roleplaying series may also notice the inclusion of some unfamiliar faces. Particularly Marie, a character exclusive to the Vita version of the game who dresses like some bizarre Japanese hybrid of an early 90s riot grrl and a traffic cop circa whenever traffic cops were last seen in abundance. We know almost nothing about the new girl, outside of her name, but it's safe to assume that she'll lightly touch on famed anime tropes while also providing a new object of affection/friendship/whatever, depending on how you want to play the game.

Of course, she's no Chie, but then again, who is?

Persona 4: The Golden is scheduled for Japanese release on June 14. Officially, we have no word on when it might jump the Pacific, but we expect it to appear shortly thereafter.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Great, now I'm gunna have to buy a Vita just so I can play this. It looks amazing even better then the PS2 one.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
It does look gorgeous! Even stupid-crazy gorgeous!! I've already reinvested many more hours into P3P. Atlus, just open a direct line of payment from me to you.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
yep getting a VITA when this thing comes out :D
still I'm kinda sad that it doesn't feature a femMC like P3P had :( I've played as a guy 6 times in the original PS2 version, Naoto and Rise are the best girls btw, and I wanted to try something different

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Congratulations Sony, thanks to Atlus, I now have a reason to BUY the Vita.

Looking forward to this.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
For some reason I see Vita sales picking up a bit in Japan somewhere around April. I can't wait for it to go up on the PSN, I won't even have to wait for postage since I can just download it off the PSN.
Yay Vita!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK. FUCK.

Must. Buy. Vita. Arrrrrrrhhhhhgggh. I have enough for a console and the 16 gig and a few games. Why is Sony taunting me?!

A more on-track note: Any idea when the official release will be? I suppose it would close to winter or spring next year.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
A more on-track note: Any idea when the official release will be? I suppose it would close to winter or spring next year.
Atlus is pretty locked in about a 6-8 month gap between japanese and US release dates. It's like they make the American branch wait and buy their own copy -_-

GZGoten said:
still I'm kinda sad that it doesn't feature a femMC like P3P had :(
They talked about this actually a while back, basically for the PSP version of Persona 3 they had to remove the anime cut scenes and 'around the town' sequences for space reasons, and since then that meant all they had to do was add in some new dialog and a slightly changed UI for the FeMC, they thought hey, why the hell not.

Since the vita can handle those two aspects of the game, that'd mean they pretty much have to redo them from scratch for a female protagonist. Too much work for what is just a polished up port.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Halyah said:
GZGoten said:
still I'm kinda sad that it doesn't feature a femMC like P3P had :( I've played as a guy 6 times in the original PS2 version, Naoto and Rise are the best girls btw, and I wanted to try something different
Do we have a confirmation that P4Golden doesn't feature a FeMC? If it doesn't, the game drops off of my "Must Buy" list, that's for sure. As some new npc, even if it is a new party member(so the rumour goes anyway), just ain't enough of an incentive to buy P4 again in my opinion.

Ah well I guess I'll hold out hope for P5 and hope they let us select the main characters gender there.
yeah its been confirmed no femMC, as for 5 I don't really mind if we can select gender there cause It'll be new experience no matter what. I just hope they learned from Catherine when it comes to animation and conversations

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Sony, why do you keep doing this to me? I've heard nothing but unanimous praise about Persona 4. I want to play it, but my Playstation 2 might as well be dead on its feet. Do you let Atlus do an HD Collection for the PS3? Noooo you have to push your fancy HD Game Gear down my throat with this port! Grrrr.... I still want to play it but I don't want to financially encourage the Vita...dammit!

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
It does look gorgeous. In fact it looks just as gorgeous as a PS2 game made in 2008/2009 except to play this I have to make a ~$400 investment in a machine, a proprietary memory card, and the game itself. I think if I want to play P4 again.. I'll play P4 again.