Watch Seven Minutes of Saints Row IV Shenanigans

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
codeg said:
This game is looking better and better to me, being one of the few people who found the zaniness of Saints Row 3 to be fully entertaining. Looking forward to romping through more outlandish and insane experiences.
Yep. Loved SR3. Beat it 3 times (going to do it again before the next one comes out).
I just hope that there is actual progression of player abilities, especially with the superpowers. Yeah shit's fun, but the fun doesn't last if you get everything right away and just run with it. It would be like playing most bethesda RPGs on NG+, Ruin's the fun since it's a cakewalk until the end and by then you are so kitted out its a minor challenge at best.

shintakie10 said:
Smiley Face said:
I've got to say it? Where does it go from here? Saints Row IV, you're the president, you've got superpowers, you've got mechs - how do you top that? Who knows, maybe they'll try and return to something remotely possible.
Well, there's two obvious routes.

1. Continue the schtick and have you take over the world.

2. Take the fight to the aliens and invade their world, becomin an intergalactic gang lord.

Its entirely you'll start out as 1 and end at 2 in The Fifth.
Sounds like a plan.

Get on it Voliton! But make it substantial. Like, actually a lot of story content. Not saying you need a daggerfall-sized map but certainly something bigger than just steelport.

I don't care how long it takes, just get it done.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
the dubstep gun is just terrible
It looks like the kinda game that would be fun for a little while until the novelty wears off.

Smiley Face said:
I've got to say it? Where does it go from here?
you explore a city on an alien planet, become their leader, get a good looking alien queen/king [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GreenSkinnedSpaceBabe] to rule with you, and after that you become god for some unknown reason.

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
As much as I like mech suits, super hero sandboxes, and crazy weapons, I'm not sure if I like this game. It feels like they're just adding whatever they wanted into Saints Row. I liked SR 3rd because you where a normal prik (with Arkham levels of insanity) causing mass chaos, bringing it to a virtual world with super powers just ruins the fun of want and destruction. I like it when game devs add stupid things into games but, it needs to mix well with the game in order for it to be fun.

The moral of this story is that just because you can have something doesn't mean you should.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
And now with the way the super powers work, with a massive armament, and alien enemies, let's get the modding community to turn this into something spectacular.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Saints Row 2 was definitely the highpoint - wackier than SR1, which tried a little too hard to be a GTA game (which it couldn't do), while still maintaining a little bit of reality. Sure you could bale out of a plane and land on a granny without dying but most of the truly bizarre stuff you only found in the end game so it wasn't too bad. SR3 gave you that OTT stuff in the first mission, completely robbing the game of challenge.

In SR2 I had dozens of cars and bikes all tricked out, I went looking for cool spots to do tricks on, I completed all the mini-games... It was the next-gen San Andreas. SR3 held none of that appeal; the side quests were meaningless, the driving wasn't that fun, the enemies were dull and it lost it's appeal after the first 'that was cool' moment.

While I'm sure everything they put in SR4 will be fun to do I doubt it'll stay fun for more than an hour. All the weird stuff you got to use in SR2 was fun because you'd do it every so often and the game would return to normal in between, giving the exciting moments more of a kick - when you're constantly at 11 on the crazy scale how do you get excited about something new?

I'll probably end up getting this after a few months when the price drops as I just don't think they'll have written a good story with all the gimmicks they've thrown in.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
The game does look tempting, the Mech certainly sealed the deal for me (Why can't we have more games where you have the option of obtaining a mech?!) But I'm skeptical of it because of all the reasons pointed out before me.

I played SR3 and it was fun, but it got pretty boring after i gained all the upgrades, even causing chaotic destruction for fun got boring after a while, and finishing the games story only sped it into "tedious" deliberate chaos for...... amusement? for me afterwards. Novelty is kind of in short supply for SR3 and beyond for me.

Others might enjoy it longer then people like me would, and I ain't stopping you from buying it, if it's your thing then go ahead.

I just wish there was another game like SR2 but somehow coherently manages to include the fun stuff from SR4 into it.... Maybe a Sci-fi/fantasy SR2-ish game with entertaining enemies and intriguing story...... ah who am I kidding this is never going to happen.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Its start as a Expansion for SR3 really shows in this demo, which is sad really. It also looks like the whole selling point is "its wacky" guys cause that can sustain a 10 hour plus gaming experience.
Smiley Face said:
I've got to say it? Where does it go from here? Saints Row IV, you're the president, you've got superpowers, you've got mechs - how do you top that? Who knows, maybe they'll try and return to something remotely possible.
Maybe you will wake up in SR5 from the coma sans SR2 and find out it was all a dream and hopefully they will make 5 like 2 but i doubt that will happen.

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.
Saints row 1 took place in Stillwater
Saints row 2 took place in a slightly different Stillwater
Saints row 3 took place in Steelport
Saints row 4 will take place in a slightly different Steelport
...what are you complaining about?

OT:I...just don't know anymore. It looks fun. But, I just don't see any substance to this.

It seems like this game's concept was made by a 6 year old whos parents forgot to call a baby sitter, so when they leavethe house to go out on a date, he gets hopped up on pixy sticks, plays grand theft auto and then watches the all of the action scenes from the matrix, and then calms himself enough to scribble his slightly coherent cross over fantasies into a notebook just before passing out.

Maybe that's its appeal to some people. Its not for me.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
I really didn't like the over-the-top gameplay of The Third that much, Saint's Row 2 is still my favourite in the series.

It wasn't nearly as satisfying flying jet bikes around when they were so easily obtained. The game lacks challenge and just wants to toss as many toys at me as possible. The further they move away from the down-to-earth style of SR2, the further they alienate fans like me. I preferred Saint's Row as this zany sandbox gangsta game, not as this weird hybrid mush of everything they can think of it that it has become.

It was really kickass to fly a jet in SR2 'cos I used to drive everywhere before that. It felt satisfying due to the fact that I had gone though the trouble of earning it the hard way. Then The Third comes around, and by the end of the game I have three VTOLs, three helicopters and a goddamn jet bike sitting in my garage. It wasn't nearly as fun as it was in SR2.

I mean, I'll still buy this game, just not until the price drop. ;D

EDIT: Woah, after posting my two cents, I took the time to read other responses and what do I find? I'm not alone with my thoughts. Neat.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I'm sold, the superpowers looked amazing and looks like a mash up of multiple fun games, I only wish the combat was a bit more complex, its seems as if a lot of it is one button attacks. But damn it looked awesome, I remember pretending to be a deranged super villain in saint row 3, complete with purple spandex and theat wrestler guys gloves that made people explode!

You can no longer compare saints row to gta at all, the games are no longer even remotely thematically similar. I cannot wait for this game. I see saints row as a great sandbox where there are no limitations and it is a fantastic time waster, I look forward to turning my brain off and causing uninhibited direction less chaos.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I still can't believe they forgot about Dex. I mean, it was said he went to a new city at the end of the DLC for 2 and I figured with the introduction of Steelport, we'd get a continuation there. Instead the Boss just has major ADD and plays with the shiny things left in front of him.

I miss Dex, he's the closest thing to a series antagonist we had.

Jun 16, 2010
I always wanted to play a proper make-your-own superhero/supervillain game.
I mean, who doesn't?
Complaining that it turns its back on the overtly racist and misogynistic "story" of the first two games is just silly.

Also, dubstep guns aren't actually an original idea:

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
So basically the protagonist is President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho with superpowers?

I'm okay with this...

Phantom2290

Dec 14, 2009
I had a number of complaints, but right around the mech suit I think that part of my brain imploded to make more room for drooling anticipation.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I liked Saint Row serie so far... but now i think they are overdoing it...