Watch: Shigeru Miyamoto Confirms, and Debunks, Popular Mario Theories

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Watch: Shigeru Miyamoto Confirms, and Debunks, Popular Mario Theories

Miyamoto addresses a number of Mario fan theories in a new video.

As both the release of Super Mario Maker and the franchise's 30th birthday draw near, Nintendo posted a video of legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto clearing the air on some popular Mario theories.

"There are so many myths about Mario... Mr Miyamoto reveals the truth," Nintendo of Europe tweeted [https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/641929152942051328] alongside the video early this morning.

In the new video, called "Mario Myths with Mr. Miyamoto" (I love alliteration), Miyamoto confirmed that Mario was named after former Nintendo of America warehouse landlord Mario Segale, disputed the theory that Mario is about to lose a life on the cover of the original Super Mario Bros., and denied that Boos are deceased Bob-ombs.

One of the more interesting points was when Miyamoto confirmed the widespread speculation that Super Mario Bros. 3 was all part of a performance put on for an audience. The title featured curtain calls, with mechanical devices used to move platforms that cast unlikely shadows on the sky. It had long been theorized that Mario, and everyone else, was always free from danger, instead putting on a play for an audience. Miyamoto confirms in the video that Super Mario Bros. 3 was, in fact, a performance.

Additionally, Miyamoto would not allow Dr. Mario to operate on him, Mario breaks blocks with his fists, and Bowser Jr.'s mother is... none other than Miyamoto himself.

Super Mario Maker releases tomorrow, Sept. 11.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I don't blame him for not wanting Dr. Mario to operate on him. Toad State University is not a legitimate place to receive a medical degree.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I thought they were going to legit answer who Bowser Jr.'s mom is. They went the cheap route with that whole "Do you know who his mom is" way of posing that question.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Miyamoto is Bowser Jr.s mother.
Bowser and Miyamoto are both guys.

So... I wasn't just imagining hearing Mario saying "So long, gay Bowser" in Super Mario 64 when you throw Bowser on the bombs?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I can't not love this guy. He's just such a charming and delightful fellow.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
So somewhere at Nintendo HQ there is a secret file that can tell us who Bowser Jr.'s mother is?

Also, who came up with the idea that bob-ombs turned into Boos? Everyone knows Boos are all the dead Marios whose lives were used while we play the games.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
While I know there are probably some people here who think I hate Nintendo, there is a reason I consider Miyamoto to be one of the "Rock Stars" of gaming. Things like this would be a perfect example.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011

THEY WERE WRONG

My headcanon says Miyamoto also birthed the Koopalings, the father? Pauline from the original Donkey Kong. Obvs.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
BiH-Kira said:
Miyamoto is Bowser Jr.s mother.
Bowser and Miyamoto are both guys.

So... I wasn't just imagining hearing Mario saying "So long, gay Bowser" in Super Mario 64 when you throw Bowser on the bombs?
You and me both. This is the internet after all so we need only wait a short while before the shipping begins.

Rules 34 through 36 engage! Rule 69 will be along shortly.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I don't blame him for not wanting Dr. Mario to operate on him. Toad State University is not a legitimate place to receive a medical degree.
But thats where I got my degree for rock star astronaut.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Saltyk said:
chozo_hybrid said:
While I know there are probably some people here who think I hate Nintendo, there is a reason I consider Miyamoto to be one of the "Rock Stars" of gaming. Things like this would be a perfect example.
That seems perfectly reasonable to me, Nintendo has its problems, but this man is awesome :D

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I wonder what he'd say about Game Theory's theory that Mario is Jumpman's sociopathic son, & that Luigi & Princess Peach are Rosalina's parents. Guess I'll have to watch & see if it comes up. XD