Watch StarCraft Performed Live on Stage in Korea

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Watch StarCraft Performed Live on Stage in Korea

What's better than playing StarCraft II in Korean tournaments? Performing it live using Kabuki-like stagecraft!

Unless you've been hiding under a pile of minerals, you are probably aware that StarCraft is a huge cultural phenomenon in Korea. There are live broadcasts of StarCraft tournaments on TV, and the stars of the Korean Pro League make as much money as professional athletes here in the U.S. So it certainly makes sense that the Koreans would combine their love of Blizzard's real-time strategy game with flamboyant physical comedy. I present to you StarCraft performed live at a Korean variety show:

The best part of this video is that the units being dramatized progress through the tech ladder for both the Terran and the Protoss. The Protoss guy on the right begins as a Zealot, then the Terran Marine shoots at him with a nifty sparkler trick. Going on all fours kind of looks like the Stalker, and the blue projectiles that the puppeteer in black shows really sell the illusion.

The Terran guy bellows "Siege tank!" and the real in-game audio cues do wonders for when he transforms into a stationary artillery battery. The spitting of foam balls for shells is just icing on the cake. When the Carrier arrives and the fluttering yellow gloves become the individual fighters, the Terran guy is toast. I'm not sure why his Ghosts decided to blow him up with his own nuclear blast, but maybe he just wanted to go out with a bang before throwing up the classic "GG" gravestone.

The stagecraft used to bring StarCraft to life - I know, I couldn't resist - is really entertaining. It was definitely worth a chuckle or two from me.

Nalfen

Sep 1, 2009
This was surprisingly funny lol, I watched it thinking it would be lame but it was pretty awesome I must say.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Got kinda groused out when the guy stuck his head so close to the background guys ass ._.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Now thats taking your gaming serious.

Now to find someone to act out one of my fave games. Just got to find a short fat man with a tash willing to headbutt bricks until he starts seeing giant talking mushrooms.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Going on all fours kind of looks like the Stalker, and the blue projectiles that the puppeteer in black shows really sell the illusion.
Judging by the sound effects and way he acted, I don't think this was Starcraft 2; I think he was supposed to be a Dragoon from the original Starcraft.

Really impressive though.

Edit: Fixed typos