Watch This Robodog Throw Concrete Blocks Like Toys

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
It's the name of the company that scares me the most.

Boston Dynamics

It's so bloody cyberpunk, isn't it?

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Is this... real "Dogmentation"? On a more serious note, that thing is fucking terrifying. I was shown BigDog by a friend a few days ago and I thought it was pretty cool. Now it's just scary :(

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Instead of making arms for robo-dogs, I think we should worry more about making robo-legs for regular dogs. It's much more adorable that way, and there seems to be an overabundance of three-legged dogs out there who would like a little more respect.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Well, it's good that it no longer sounds like ten thousand chainsaws being revved simultaneously but those big ass wire harnesses that are dangling from the ceiling and keeping it from falling over do not bode well for it's stability while using the arm. Baby steps, I guess.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
"Looks like you ran over someones' dog, Sarge" "That's not a dog, Lester, it's a smaller type of...OH GOD MOVE! ROCK INCOMING!"

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Tradjus said:
Well, it's good that it no longer sounds like ten thousand chainsaws being revved simultaneously but those big ass wire harnesses that are dangling from the ceiling and keeping it from falling over do not bode well for it's stability while using the arm. Baby steps, I guess.
That buzzing was actually a small gas powered generator, to power the robot. In the lab they just plug it in to the grid, no motor needed. Those are the cables you see.

[sub][sub]And while it's plugged in, it parses CIA encryptions and gains access to our nuclear missiles.[/sub][/sub]

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Froggy Slayer said:
It's the name of the company that scares me the most.

Boston Dynamics

It's so bloody cyberpunk, isn't it?
I seriously hope that's part of their mission statement.

"Here at Boston Dynamics, we grew up experiencing the best that cyberpunk fiction had to offer.
It's our goal to make our dreams of cyberpunk fiction, into cyberpunk fact."

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Sure it can pick up and awkwardly throw concrete bricks, but can it love?

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I would have laughed if that thing would have thrown the brick and then not been able to withstand the urge to go chase it as well xD

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Aww, the audio screwed up. This is clearly what was supposed to be playing as the covering music:

According to Boston Dynamics, BigDog "runs at 4mph, climbs slopes up to 35 degrees, walks across rubble, climbs a muddy hiking trail, walks in snow and water, and carries a 340 lb load. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead it's smashed some bricks."
That's mostly accurate.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
doggie015 said:
And it's stupidly organic as well! It's almost as though a real animal is throwing it's weight into throwing those concrete blocks around! I'm not sure if I should be amazed or terrified.
they probably are trying to copy real animals movements when programing its movements. at first i though its picking it up and trying to adjust weight but it just kept dancing, obviously trying to learn coping with new weight, which is quite.... smart?

So what we need is a small reactor inside it now and it does not need external power, then folks beware the Big Dog is coming to take your construction work away. more angry assembly line workers.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I didn't think it was possible but they made that thing even more creepy. Massively impressive but I get the hooboo jeebees every time I see a video of that thing.