Watch This Robodog Throw Concrete Blocks Like Toys

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Watch This Robodog Throw Concrete Blocks Like Toys

Boston Dynamics' BigDog has been outfitted with a brand new robotic arm.

Boston Dynamics' BigDog robot is a powerhouse of the robotics world [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1czBcnX1Ww], but BigDog has clearly stepped up its game in the newest video, though, because it has acquired an arm capable of lifting and tossing concrete blocks to a smashing end. The arm uses what Boston Dynamics calls "Dynamic Manipulation" - the same type of whole body movement used by humans and animals, and Boston Dynamics is developing special actuators and control schemes to achieve it. For now, given the look of the cables coming from the side, it looks like BigDog is relying an external hydraulic rig to power that arm. Boston Dynamics is developing its robots in concert with DARPA and the US Army Research Laboratory.

BigDog is about 3 feet long, 2.5 feet tall, and weighs about 240 lbs. Those concrete blocks are probably between 40 and 50 lbs - so that robot is throwing a pretty good proportion of its weight around. According to Boston Dynamics [http://www.bostondynamics.com/robot_bigdog.html], BigDog "runs at 4mph, climbs slopes up to 35 degrees, walks across rubble, climbs a muddy hiking trail, walks in snow and water, and carries a 340 lb load." BigDog is also a world record holder for legged vehicles, having traveled 12.8 miles without stopping or refueling.

Source: Boston Dynamics [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc&list=UU7vVhkEfw4nOGp8TyDk7RcQ&index=1]

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I can't wait until they make a version suitable for the consumer market

I really really want one.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I'm imagining that thing in the Robot Wars show. My God. It would be beautiful.

Boston Dynamics also made a humanoid robot! Pretty cool, check it out.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'll be honest when I saw the headline I thought it would just be a mobile trebuchet. That motion is incredible.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
And here I thought Big Dog was terrifying enough.

Nope.

They went and gave it a claw instead of a head. Excellent.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
My brother had a pitbull that would do pretty much exactly the same thing with 24" lawnmower tires. He'd latch hold of one and just wing it across the yard. He took out a section of slat fence a couple times.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
METAL GEAR!!!

Oh, BigDog... Soon, I will have you and we shall ride into battle together! You will be my robo-steed! :D

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
LTK_70 said:
Hey! When did it stop sounding like a swarm of angry bees?
Crap, that was our only way of knowing it was near!

OT: I'm both amazed at how far we've come with technology, but also terrified at the same time...In the end though this is freaking amazing.