Watch Video of the New Animated Login Screen for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Watch Video of the New Animated Login Screen for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Check out a sneak peak what you will see every time you log in to World of Warcraft over the next couple years.

The login screen of an MMO is kind of like the opening theme of a TV show. Every time you hear the first few chords of the M*A*S*H's Suicide is Painless [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ljNobUys] you are emotionally transported to exactly what that piece of content means to you. World of Warcraft's original loading screen was awesome because it featured the Dark Portal into another world. With Burning Crusade, we saw the other, more demonic, side of that same portal in Outland. In Wrath, the frost wyrm Sindragosa bellowed from the snowy parapet of Icecrown Citadel, and we immediately knew we were in Northrend. Cataclsym's login screen is no less iconic and features the dreaded Deathwing atop the crumbling wall of Stormwind.

[video=2368]

Get used to this, WoW players. This is what you will see each and every time you sit down to enter Azeroth when Cataclysm launches on December 7th, a day that will live in infamy.

Playing in the background is the musical theme from Cataclysm, which is composed by longtime contributor to WoW, Jason Hayes. We've been listening to his compositions since vanilla WoW and I look forward to hearing more of his music in Cataclysm.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Well, it definitely looks cool. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to see it though (thanfully). I've finally completely moved on from WoW.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Oh man, it's like I'm already waiting for the bevy of patches which will inevitably follow the launch!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
WoW always had the best login screen I've ever seen in a MMO and this is the best login screen to ever grace WoW. Sadly, I think I won't be playing it, because I'm trying to stay as far away as I can from any MMO, until Guild Wars 2 hits the shelves.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Oh wow.

I don't play WoW, but thats one pretty sweet login screen. I especially liked the music playing.

NotKyle

Apr 15, 2009
You know, I think he might be a little bit too heavy for that castle. Maybe he should look into a weight loss program? Especially for his chin.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
At least he's somewhat quiet. Sindy's flaps and roars made me come to regret ticking the "play music while game is in background" option during long login-queue waits.

Also, inb4 "more like Jay Lenowing" jokes.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Well, it's good to see they're keeping consistent with the horrible fucking music.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Well....

I dunno...I mean no offense. I get that theres a lot of WoW love here, but... this isn't a newspost about say the first people to defeat Arthus, which would be a big deal in context of WoW I imagine...this is just the a login screen.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
ciortas1 said:
Well, it's good to see they're keeping consistent with the horrible fucking music.
Hahaha, well I'm not gonna argue with you on that.

At least the screen is better than WotLK's.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Music is dull and cheesy, and there is a dragon on a castle, which looked just as good (and was just as old) in a storybook.

The whole idea of the expansion is really exciting, and I say that while scarcely believing people can tolerate the gameplay in WoW, but it's a just a loading screen. And a ho-hum one.

The Warcraft 3 meteors in the opening cutscene environment was much better, and we didn't even know anything about that cataclysm.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
NotKyle said:
You know, I think he might be a little bit too heavy for that castle. Maybe he should look into a weight loss program? Especially for his chin.
he cant get a smaller chin. its built from metal. watch the cinematic intro, Deathwing is almost as much dragon as metal dragon.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Christemo said:
NotKyle said:
he cant get a smaller chin. its built from metal. watch the cinematic intro, Deathwing is almost as much dragon as metal dragon.
I guess someone at Blizzard is a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh!:

Anyway, while I don't plan on playing Cataclysm (I have quit WoW long ago and want to spend money on other games), I like the intro screen overall. Deathwing seems less annoying compared to Sindragosa (the roars got old eventually) and also seems a lot more imposing. I bet Varian Wrynn wasn't too happy about him trashing Stormwind. :p

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This video would appear to be rather old news as i like WoW as such a reviewer of WoW on youtube know as Cynicalbrit/totalbuscuit has the new updated login screen since people complained that Deathwing was roaring every 5 or so seconds so they changed it to him looking around.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Deathwing looks tired... and needs to learn to chew with his mouth closed.

Also: HAHA, stormwind sucks.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
that's... that's so awesome. maybe i will start playing WoW just so i can see this login screen ALL THE TIME (no not really its not that awesome, but it is awesome)

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Ahaha, yeah no. Lets just say I know I will watch it too many times in teh next year to care about what it is now

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
Not seen heard in this video: the music builds up to a fairly dark theme that contains a mix of both Vanilla and TBC main themes, complete with a choir. It's really awesome.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Won't make much sense after you've downed Deathwing and ground him for a month to gear up for... more grinding Deathwing on heroic.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
I'm actually kinda meh on this one. I wish he did something, like Sindy did for WotLK's screen.
Here, all he's doing is sitting on a castle, panting, and looking like he forgot what he came there for.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Why is it pretty much that half the news articles these days have all been about WoW? It feels like it's the spotlight game for the news staff here.

As for the video, cool I suppose... it's just a dragon moving around. Burning Crusade had a twirling portal. Feels pointless added.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
That music is so epic makes me wanna play WoW now. i wonder if they you will be able to pick the opening theme and music i really liked the BC login screen.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
That is certainly more impressive then the Guild Wars login page (it is just a snowy mountain with some building in the night) although what was the old login screen before the new one?

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Wow what's with all the WoW? We're watching a video of a log-in screen now? Really?

unwesen

May 16, 2009
Now I get why Deathwing is called Deathwing. With those jaws he could never eat properly, poor mutant, and starved to death.

unwesen

May 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
luckycharms8282 said:
who would name a castle/town stormwind?
Apparently Blizzard went to the death metal school of fantasy naming conventions.
Black. You mean black metal. Death metal tends to have slightly more sensible naming. Slightly. Not much, I'll grant you.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
The thud at 6 seconds was really underwhelming...

I would have expected more of a mighty crash from Deathwing. I am disappoint.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Get used to this, WoW players. This is what you will see each and every time you sit down to enter Azeroth when Cataclysm launches on December 7th, a day that will live in infamy.
Oh damn. You did not just quote Franklin D. Roosevelt and his Speech of Infamy (or was it Infamy Speech?) with Cataclysms launch date! xD

Well, It's not a bad login screen, that's for sure, but it doesn't beat the login screen for Vanilla and TBC though imo. Yay for him not roaring or anything annoying like a certain other login-screen dragon though >_>

AngryMongoose

Jan 18, 2010
One thing I don't like about it, cool as it is, is why he's just chillin' on Stormwind. Doesn't he have mountains to sunder? Innocents to destroy? What about all the adventurers in SW taking potshots at his face? He wouldn't just be sitting there for 11 minutes while [email protected] is still trying to remember his password.

unwesen said:
Now I get why Deathwing is called Deathwing. With those jaws he could never eat properly, poor mutant, and starved to death.
He's immortal. It might explain why he's so angry.

luckycharms8282 said:
who would name a castle/town stormwind?
They're named Stormwind after the cities frequent wind storms (Which... don't actually appear in game). They probably just felt that "Windstorm" would have been stupid.

Scott Mansley

Mar 29, 2010
Two people commented about the frequent WoW news... Have they not seen the amount of (Awesome) Minecraft news as of late?

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
When you make a statement like that you need to follow it up with some support. "It's droll" "Too Heavy" Whatever your problem is, state and then back it up.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, but he is sitting on capital of the Alliance (at least as far as the players are concerned). It's like Godzilla hanging out in Tokyo or the Independence Day saucer looming over New York. It builds dread. Also, no other WoW villian has personally attacked a capital city. Even the Lich King never entered SW or Ogrimmar when he sent out his army.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
What they should do now is every april 1st replace this with a rick roll. I would have respect for blizzard if they did XD

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
I'm going to miss seeing Icecrown Citadel every time I log in, it's one of the most beautiful sights in all of WoW.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Oh god, the sound effect when he huts his paw back down is horrendous! Jarred so much for me, lol.

unwesen

May 16, 2009
AngryMongoose said:
unwesen said:
He's immortal. It might explain why he's so angry.
Yes, an eternity without cookie dough ice cream will do that to you.