Watch Video of the New Animated Login Screen for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Watch Video of the New Animated Login Screen for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Check out a sneak peak what you will see every time you log in to World of Warcraft over the next couple years.

The login screen of an MMO is kind of like the opening theme of a TV show. Every time you hear the first few chords of the M*A*S*H's Suicide is Painless [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ljNobUys] you are emotionally transported to exactly what that piece of content means to you. World of Warcraft's original loading screen was awesome because it featured the Dark Portal into another world. With Burning Crusade, we saw the other, more demonic, side of that same portal in Outland. In Wrath, the frost wyrm Sindragosa bellowed from the snowy parapet of Icecrown Citadel, and we immediately knew we were in Northrend. Cataclsym's login screen is no less iconic and features the dreaded Deathwing atop the crumbling wall of Stormwind.

[video=2368]

Get used to this, WoW players. This is what you will see each and every time you sit down to enter Azeroth when Cataclysm launches on December 7th, a day that will live in infamy.

Playing in the background is the musical theme from Cataclysm, which is composed by longtime contributor to WoW, Jason Hayes. We've been listening to his compositions since vanilla WoW and I look forward to hearing more of his music in Cataclysm.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Well, it definitely looks cool. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to see it though (thanfully). I've finally completely moved on from WoW.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Oh man, it's like I'm already waiting for the bevy of patches which will inevitably follow the launch!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
WoW always had the best login screen I've ever seen in a MMO and this is the best login screen to ever grace WoW. Sadly, I think I won't be playing it, because I'm trying to stay as far away as I can from any MMO, until Guild Wars 2 hits the shelves.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Oh wow.

I don't play WoW, but thats one pretty sweet login screen. I especially liked the music playing.

NotKyle

Apr 15, 2009
You know, I think he might be a little bit too heavy for that castle. Maybe he should look into a weight loss program? Especially for his chin.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
At least he's somewhat quiet. Sindy's flaps and roars made me come to regret ticking the "play music while game is in background" option during long login-queue waits.

Also, inb4 "more like Jay Lenowing" jokes.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Well....

I dunno...I mean no offense. I get that theres a lot of WoW love here, but... this isn't a newspost about say the first people to defeat Arthus, which would be a big deal in context of WoW I imagine...this is just the a login screen.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
ciortas1 said:
Well, it's good to see they're keeping consistent with the horrible fucking music.
Hahaha, well I'm not gonna argue with you on that.

At least the screen is better than WotLK's.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Music is dull and cheesy, and there is a dragon on a castle, which looked just as good (and was just as old) in a storybook.

The whole idea of the expansion is really exciting, and I say that while scarcely believing people can tolerate the gameplay in WoW, but it's a just a loading screen. And a ho-hum one.

The Warcraft 3 meteors in the opening cutscene environment was much better, and we didn't even know anything about that cataclysm.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
NotKyle said:
You know, I think he might be a little bit too heavy for that castle. Maybe he should look into a weight loss program? Especially for his chin.
he cant get a smaller chin. its built from metal. watch the cinematic intro, Deathwing is almost as much dragon as metal dragon.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Christemo said:
NotKyle said:
he cant get a smaller chin. its built from metal. watch the cinematic intro, Deathwing is almost as much dragon as metal dragon.
I guess someone at Blizzard is a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh!:

Anyway, while I don't plan on playing Cataclysm (I have quit WoW long ago and want to spend money on other games), I like the intro screen overall. Deathwing seems less annoying compared to Sindragosa (the roars got old eventually) and also seems a lot more imposing. I bet Varian Wrynn wasn't too happy about him trashing Stormwind. :p

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This video would appear to be rather old news as i like WoW as such a reviewer of WoW on youtube know as Cynicalbrit/totalbuscuit has the new updated login screen since people complained that Deathwing was roaring every 5 or so seconds so they changed it to him looking around.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Deathwing looks tired... and needs to learn to chew with his mouth closed.

Also: HAHA, stormwind sucks.