Watch_Dogs Finally Comes to Wii U - 115 Days Late

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Brian Tams said:
Ubisoft set this version of the game up for failure. They're going to point to its inevitable low sales as confirmation (bias) that these types of games "Just don't sell on Nintendo Systems", when the reality is going to be that most wii u owners have already played it on another system.

So I'm just going to get this out of the way ahead of time.

*ahem*

Fuck you Ubisoft.
It's times like this where I'm convinced the reason 3rd parties don't sell on Nintendo systems is because 3rd parties are incompetent by default and thus have no clue what to do when facing real competition. Seriously, these are basic mistakes that are painfully easy to avoid and yet Ubi made them anyway. These guys are just idiots and they don't deserve success.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Wan Shi Tong said:
I'm sorry but Hyrule warriors is coming out this month and then there's the DLC for Mario Kart 8 coming out in November. I WAS interested in the game, and I WAS waiting for it to release, but as time marched on I simply lost interest. If I pick this game up it will be used, for around 20 bucks.
AND Bayonetta 1 & 2 in October...

For those who have played WatchDogs, is it good?
I'll most likely buy it at some point but I wonder if this is a November buy with all the games coming out and then there's SmashBros in December and I already have a backlog of stuff to game only on this console so I doubt this will be a buy on releaseday game for me.

But: is this game good?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Darth Marsden said:
...bit of a shame then that, since I've had a chance to read reviews and critical analysis videos looking at the game, I no longer have any interest in the game.

Seriously - watch and learn [http://youtu.be/nw9cwOcdqs4].
Oh, I've already played the game; my best friend has a PS4 and bought it for that.

It's got the same GTA problem I typically have with sandbox games, but I liked the thematic setting enough that I'm still willing to give it a go if the Wii U version is any good.

Guffe said:
But: is this game good?
Insofar as Assassin's Creed is "good".

It really depends on your expectations, I think. If you're expecting anything other than Grand Theft Auto meets Assassin's Creed with a light sprinkling of hacking/sabotage/espionage thrown on top, then you're probably going to be disappointed. Also, most of the versions of the game were relatively buggy on release, and I'm not sure if that's been fixed or if it will be better or worse in the Wii U version.

It's basically a solid 7/10, maybe 8 or 9 depending on your own preferences and how much you're burnt out on sandbox games that shove thousands of pieces of meaningless extra filler content in your face. Of course, that means that the internet considers it to be the worst thing ever released in the history of video games.

Apr 5, 2008
Wow, Wii U owners have the opportunity to buy a mediocre game months after everyone else. The games industry is about to be revitalised with such a momentous event.

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
truckspond said:
Has anyone considered that the delay for WiiU version might be because it is the least powerful console that it will be released on so they needed the extra time to get everything working on it
Except for the ps3 and 360... Regardless of what you may have heard the Wii U is in fact stronger than both of those systems. And the architecture of ps3 and 360 compared to ps4 and xbone are different enough that it isn't just a quick upscale job to port them. The Wii u version got handed off to ubisoft Romania originally. When I heard that I lost any faith in it coming out any time near it's original date.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Wan Shi Tong said:
I'm sorry but Hyrule warriors is coming out this month and then there's the DLC for Mario Kart 8 coming out in November. I WAS interested in the game, and I WAS waiting for it to release, but as time marched on I simply lost interest. If I pick this game up it will be used, for around 20 bucks.
I bet all the reviews saying it's just "meh" doesn't help.

OT: Does anyone really care at this point? There was so much hype for the game and then it all fizzled when we all collectively realised that the game wasn't all that special.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yes!I was waiting for it. I'm curious about how Ubisoft will use the Gamepad in Watch_dogs. After all, they made one of the few Wii U games where the gamepad features are an important part of the gameplay. Most of the rest of the Wii U games can be played with a Wii Controller Pro, with the gamepad as something optional.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
truckspond said:
Has anyone considered that the delay for WiiU version might be because it is the least powerful console that it will be released on so they needed the extra time to get everything working on it
No. XBOX 360 and PS3 are as powerful (if not slightly less) than the Wii U. But programming in the Wii U is much different (specially because... Gamepad!)

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Wan Shi Tong said:
Same. This is the same shit they pulled with Rayman. I'm not gonna buy a 5 months late game when you have all these other big releases coming for the Wii U and other systems. Ubisoft knows this. They did that shit on purpose.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Since most of their excuses landed on getting the tablet parts working I'm going to withhold judgement. I want to say this will fail for the same reason everyone else is saying it will fail.

However, the only reason I was interested in this game is because the game looked like it was made to exploit the tablet to its fullest. I only ever intended on getting this on the Wii U because of that. If the tablet make the game genuinely better that might... might save it. The reviews of it are disappointing on the other systems, but there is at least a possibility that the WiiU could be different. This is only at the remotest edges of optimism.

If, and only if, this is the best version of the game it might be redeemed. It will still be hurt being released months after the other systems. Then we get into conspiracy land because if that is the case then delaying it was to hurt Nintendo directly. If it had launched at the same time, and word came out that the Wii U version was the better version due to the tablet then it would have hurt Sony, and MS. It could have also hurt sales since a lot of people would have passed on it because they didn't intend on ever getting a WiiU.

We will see. If reviews of the tablet functions are favorable it'll go back onto my Christmas wishlist. It'll certainly help my wife widdle down what to get me. I hate not being able to buy games for myself between October and Christmas.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
I dunno why anyone would buy a wiiu for this kind of game when it's the first party nintendo stuff that is usually the reason you want this type of game.
I think your kind of missing the point. Nobody who owns a Wii U would mind to buy these kinds of game for the system, but come on Ubisoft- your releasing this game 5 months late surrounded by other big name releases Nintendo and beyond and expecting it to sell well?

Especially after everyone labeled it a mediocre to average game? Riddled with glitches, and bugs? I mean really? No one is going to put down $60.00 for mediocre. Especially on a console that has a lot of high quality first party and second party content.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
TheNewGuy said:
RealRT said:
The joke of a game comes to the joke of a console. Fitting, really.
Said the joke of a user.
At least I'm a funny joke, Wii U is just plain sad.
Yeah... A lot people really shit on the system when there's no reason to, don't they?
And a lot more do so for good reasons, namely not having enough power to match PS4/XOne and not having a good enough library to match PS3/360.

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
truckspond said:
Seeing as it's on the PS3 and Xbox 360, I'd say the Wii U is not in fact the least powerful console to have Watch Dogs on it, this delay is probably Ubisoft adding gamepad features, they're very likely just porting over the PS360 version for Wii U and they obviously left it till last and will complain about Wii U when it launches to low sales anyway.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
Between Hyrule Warriors this month, Bayonetta 2 next month and Smash Bros. in December, I can't justify buying a 3-4 month old game for new release price in November. If they sell it for an MSRP or eshop price of $30 or less, I'd grab it, but otherwise it'll have to wait a few months to drop in price before I'll even consider picking it up.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"This game sold poorly because it's on the Wii U, which scares me with poorly defined reasons that nobody can research!"

- people with a complete disconnect from causality

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Yeah fuck that noise and fuck Ubisoft. Being them, they'll probably turn around and blame the console for poor sales. I will be staying the fuck away from Far Cry 4 and The Crew and all that until I can get em on Steam sales for under $20. Watch Dogs was the last straw for me.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Can Ubisoft make up its bloody mind already on whether or not it supports the Wii-U? Or was this a final sorta deal?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
unstabLized said:
Yeah fuck that noise and fuck Ubisoft. Being them, they'll probably turn around and blame the console for poor sales. I will be staying the fuck away from Far Cry 4 and The Crew and all that until I can get em on Steam sales for under $20. Watch Dogs was the last straw for me.
The thing is, I wouldn't MIND Ubi if they were at least COMPETENT. They make horrendously amateur mistakes time and time again with Nintendo and have NEVER shown any signs of having learned from them. It's why I'm so hesitant to use the "they're a bunch of greedy scumbags" argument because greedy people at least try to be skillful at what they do. Ubisoft are just a bunch of clowns by the look of things. If they were a student, this is the point where the teacher would say "get your shit together, because it does not have to be this bad." Wake me up when game publishers start doing their jobs properly.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Waiting for what? It wasn't a very good title. If I were you, I'd wait for it to be sold in the bargain bin because it isn't what its cracked up to be. It isn't a BAD game persay but it doesn't match the hype by any means....unless you like doing 1,000's of meaningless drive and shoot missions followed by mini-game filler.

115 days huh? Stop waiting for godot.