Watch_Dogs: Quis Custodogiet Ipsos Custodoges

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Never made it as a wise man,
Couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing.
Tired of living like a blind man,
Sick of sight without a sense of feeling.

And this is how you remind me...
This is how your remind me
Of why I just got clubbed!
Nice.

Eh, it's a waste of time getting passionate about Nickelback. It's just mediocre white-people rock music. It's like Internet Explorer or the Star Wars prequels, bland and average crap that all the nerds get really worked up about for some reason.

Then again, I suppose it's better than that video of the guy going around shooting all the Muslims in Watch Dogs.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RoonMian said:
lacktheknack said:
RoonMian said:
All right. Corey and Grey love Nickelback. Noted.
wat?

And here I was, thinking that people were getting better at getting the jokes...
So much for getting jokes, huh?
Yeah, yours was terrible and lacked any form of structure that made it recognizable as a "joke".

Better luck next time for both of us.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
MCerberus said:
I think Canada exiles its terrible musicians here in revenge for Americans thinking Canada is "America's Hat"
I wouldn't say that, we haven't managed to offload Hedley on the rest of you yet. Not for lack of trying.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
A regular attender of Nickelback concerts AND a parking meter attendant...

I would probably do the same thing

CAPTCHA: geez louise

Is that captcha trying to tell me something?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
erttheking said:
Ah, but you see, Watchdogs is popular. Therefore it is overrated AAA shlock and everyone who bought it is an idiot. If they thought they enjoyed it, they were wrong.
Well, I'm glad we've cut being reasonable out of being the mix. Now everyone who likes it is a mindless drone and everyone who doesn't is elitist hipster scum. Isn't life simple?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Laser Priest said:
erttheking said:
Ah, but you see, Watchdogs is popular. Therefore it is overrated AAA shlock and everyone who bought it is an idiot. If they thought they enjoyed it, they were wrong.
Well, I'm glad we've cut being reasonable out of being the mix. Now everyone who likes it is a mindless drone and everyone who doesn't is elitist hipster scum. Isn't life simple?
I joke, but a lot of people really do take that approach.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
yunabomb said:
Replace Nickelback with AKB48 and I'd probably do the same thing.
AKB48 fans are easy to spot. Just look for the body pillows. Nickelback fans are more insidious. They could be anyone. The government should really start testing people.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Gotta say, some of us have despised Nickelback since day one. It has nothing to do with 'they're popular so we have to hate them'. It has to do with being by-the-numbers pseudo-rock whining which makes your skin crawl.

As Offspring are to punk, Nickelback are to rock. Not merely bad, not merely commercial, but the absolute antithesis of everything those things used to be.

Yes, I take these things way too seriously. So what? I like music.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Yep, nobody's made the nickleback joke before, hilarious, almost shit my britches, such amusement.

OT: I really don't get the whole nickelback thing, they aren't as bad as [a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZSh9zKeI-s']other bands[/a], I don't like them but I respect why other people might. Also that joke is tired as fuck and you should feel bad for using it.

References

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Revolutionary said:
Yep, nobody's made the nickleback joke before, hilarious, almost shit my britches, such amusement.

OT: I really don't get the whole nickelback thing, they aren't as bad as [a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZSh9zKeI-s']other bands[/a], I don't like them but I respect why other people might. Also that joke is tired as fuck and you should feel bad for using it.
Fads come and go. People tend to mock something not because the "something" in question is necessarily bad, but because hating on it is currently "in".

As for Nickelback, I dunno, heard a few o their songs eons ago, then they dropped off my radar, and now I'm like "Wait those are still on the scene?"

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I nearly drove into a lightpost when Nickelback was on CBC today. Then the DJ had the nerve to say it was a great song with great vocals.

I'm with you Erin.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
A parking meter attendant AND Nickleback fan? Good god man, I think you found satan.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
marioandsonic said:
Okay, this is something I've been wondering for a while now, since I don't really follow music that much:

When did Nickleback become such a big punching bag for the Internet?
*shrugs* Internet hatred is generally tied to mainstream popularity, so it's a compliment in a weird way. I personally quite like Nickelback, although I wouldn't bother seeing them live.

OT: This strip unfortunately made me think of Sophie Lancaster, who was beaten to death in a skate park, apparently just for being a goth (or a "mosher" as her attackers called her when they bragged to their friends about it).
One of my favourite bands, Delain, made a song about that incident!
It's called "We are the others" [http://youtu.be/P5sc3BJk6BQ].
It's sad that we live in a world where people are judged and even beaten to death for how they clothe themselves or for their music taste.
Although for people who listen to Nickelback I'll make an exception. :p

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Guy likes different music than you = beat him up with a baton.
I may have missed a joke somewhere.

The Rogue Wolf said:
Darth_Payn said:
I think Pierce looks freaked out because he looked up Erin's info while she was beating up that Nickelback fan.
Erin Stout, age 27, occupation: Video Games Journalist. Talks to video-game characters who aren't really there; sometimes throws consoles at people.

Darth_Payn said:
OK, I like their song, "Rock Star", and the video for it.
I like "Photograph", but that aside... well, a friend of mine told me how her favorite radio station played three Nickelback songs over each other and they matched up almost perfectly. Chad Kroeger knows his three chords and he's stickin' to 'em.
That's 3 chords more than most of us know i would guess, and if he can make a living out of them, more power to him.
There's a few Nickelback songs i like, Photograph, Hero (hate the music video though), someday...
Probably others i've enjoyed listening but can't put a name on.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Revolutionary said:
I really don't get the whole nickelback thing, they aren't as bad as [a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZSh9zKeI-s']other bands[/a]
I disagree.

See, Korn turned into a joke because their target audience grew up and they had to find new ways to justify their existence so they've basically been riding nostalgia ever since and trying to catch up with Linkin' Park, who have themselves massively dug so deep into a rut that they've probably breached the earth's mantle but who started out with a pretty interesting and original premise.

But Nickleback.. It's just like the worst excesses of generic American rock music where you just say "rawk" and "yeawh" a lot and play the same three power chords in every song and for some reason people throw money at you. It's bad, but it's not even bad because it's trying something new and failing (like a tired old new metal band collaborating with an overrated electronic musician to produce a song which sounds like a Slipknot tribute band). It's bad because it was never trying, because the people it's selling to don't care.