Watch_Dogs: Quis Custodogiet Ipsos Custodoges

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
I like "Photograph", but that aside... well, a friend of mine told me how her favorite radio station played three Nickelback songs over each other and they matched up almost perfectly. Chad Kroeger knows his three chords and he's stickin' to 'em.
I don't know about three, but this has been around for ages:

I don't HATE Nickelback, but I couldn't stand to listen to enough of their material to find repeating songs, let alone ones you could line up so formulaic.

Oh, and not to be pedantic, but it's four chords. Which makes a TON of difference. Because....Ummmm...

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
nyysjan said:
There's a few Nickelback songs i like, Photograph, Hero (hate the music video though), someday...
Probably others i've enjoyed listening but can't put a name on.
Get him!*

I remember liking a couple of songs in their entire repertoire... not those though.
The main one being:

Which really, is a good title for their music. :p

*Relax, joking.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Revolutionary said:
OT: I really don't get the whole nickelback thing, they aren't as bad as [a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZSh9zKeI-s']other bands[/a], I don't like them but I respect why other people might.
I would rather listen to Korn, Skrillex, or Korn ft Skrillex than Nickelback.

And I really dislike dubstep, so that's saying something.

Not a big Korn fan, either.

Vegosiux said:
Fads come and go. People tend to mock something not because the "something" in question is necessarily bad, but because hating on it is currently "in".
And the fact that people have been "hating on" Nickelback for more than a decade now might indicate it wasn't a fad. People who talk about long-lasting dislike/disapproval as a fad remind me of the people who still think video games and that hippity hoppity music are fads.

mjharper said:
Gotta say, some of us have despised Nickelback since day one. It has nothing to do with 'they're popular so we have to hate them'. It has to do with being by-the-numbers pseudo-rock whining which makes your skin crawl.
Chad's voice is grating, too. Especially the way they process it in production. I'm sorry, it's a legit criticism. Not only are they artistically bankrupt pop-rockers, but they're annoying. Well, Chad is annoying.

"Cool to hate" is an excuse that's "cool to make."

How is he nuts? Also, mind giving me more of a definitton of Chaotic Good with examples?[/quote]

When I say "Chaotic Good," I'm going by these definitions[footnote]Keep in mind, that the concepts change per edition. Int 2E, there was a moral relativism and in 4E, "Chaotic Good" no longer exists[/footnote]:

D&D SRD via Wikipedia said:
A Chaotic Good character favors change for a greater good, disdains bureaucratic organizations that get in the way of social improvement, and places a high value on personal freedom, not only for oneself, but for others as well. They always intend to do the right thing, but their methods are generally disorganized and often out of alignment with the rest of society. They may create conflict in a team if they feel they are being pushed around, and often view extensive organization and planning as pointless, preferring to improvise.
Specifically, the issue of "Good" in D&D terms comes up:

D&D SRD via Wikipedia said:
Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.
Gregory House does not have respect for life or concern for dignity of sentient beings, nor is he even remotely altruistic. While a particularly nerdy example, it does demonstrate the way we rationalise the people we like as being "good." Many video game characters are good examples: several GTA protagonists, the Boss from Saints Row, Aiden apparently fits, etc. People have championed them as actually good.

As for House and him being "nuts," have you actually watched the show? Guy's been institutionalised, drove a car into a house, and routinely endangered lives.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
nyysjan said:
That's 3 chords more than most of us know i would guess, and if he can make a living out of them, more power to him.
Not really actually. The 3 chords are the basic shape power chord, first finger on the top or second string, then the 3rd and if you like, the 4th fingers on the two strings below two frets higher. And Nickleback frequently uses that "chord" (Power chords aren't actually chords), on the 1st fret, 3rd fret, and I'm tempted to say 3rd fret on the second string.

They're not so bad about it as say, Blink-182, who've been doing pretty much that, and worse, in 4/4 bars of quavers, forever, but it's noticable on a few of their more played songs as Zachary pointed out. I wouldn't dismiss them for that, since there's plenty that shows more range, like say "Flat on the Floor", or "Something in your mouth" etc. And hell, punk rock was built on the whole "Three chords and the truth" bit, and I doubt you'll see any Ramones or Minor Threat doing much more than that.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
lacktheknack said:
RoonMian said:
lacktheknack said:
RoonMian said:
All right. Corey and Grey love Nickelback. Noted.
wat?

And here I was, thinking that people were getting better at getting the jokes...
So much for getting jokes, huh?
Yeah, yours was terrible and lacked any form of structure that made it recognizable as a "joke".

Better luck next time for both of us.
Well I got ALL of the jokes. Does that make me smarter than all of you?

I'd be surprised that people focussed more on the "Nickelback" thing and less on the "Parking Attendant" thing... but hey, I can still remember when "How You Remind Me" was ubiquitous. Now that's a song I DON'T want to be reminded of.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
It's possible the reason she beat him up was because he's a parking meter attendant; not for the Nickleback thing.

TheMadDoctorsCat said:
I'd be surprised that people focussed more on the "Nickelback" thing and less on the "Parking Attendant" thing... but hey, I can still remember when "How You Remind Me" was ubiquitous. Now that's a song I DON'T want to be reminded of.
... Nevermind... Someone beat me to this.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
So Miss Stout here is saying that it's ok to savagely assault someone for liking something that she doesn't and/or doing their job? Or are the writers just messing with us by adding in the Nickleback and Parking meter attendant thing and letting us debate which was the true reason?

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Lady Erin is just being her usual impulsive self. Who may or may not be hallucinating Adrien in place of the hapless driver.