Watching yourself die...repeatedly

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
So it would seem that watching the likeness of someone else get blown apart is more disturbing than yourself.
I suppose that may be because you are removed from an avatar if it is your own likeness but are more likely to suspend disbelief, however subconsciously, if you were watching someone else.

Tomw1812

Nov 9, 2008
I don't think avatars help with immersion tbh.
It does'nt get me more connected with the game and it does'nt bother me watching myself die. To prove avatars aren't necessary for immersion, just today my friend grabbed me from behind to be greeted with "AAH! SMOKER! GET HIM OFF ME! GET HIM OFF ME!"
An incident like that is yet to happen regarding fallout 3 (yes, my avatar is almost an exact representation of myself)

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Usually when I have the option of creating a character in a game, I end up making the same "person" to play through the game with. This way, it seems like another one of 's many adventures and makes you be attached to the character. It also has the added benefit of not having some kind of horrific monster tear off the head of someone that looks just like you and then shove it up their own ass.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
Usually when I have the option of creating a character in a game, I end up making the same "person" to play through the game with. This way, it seems like another one of 's many adventures and makes you be attached to the character. It also has the added benefit of not having some kind of horrific monster tear off the head of someone that looks just like you and then shove it up their own ass.
I kinda like that idea. It's more fun than playing as yourself that's for sure.

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
When it comes to RPGs with character customization, I always make the character look like me in some way, shape, or form. The reason for this being that I always want to imagine myself doing these things, even if I am sort of wimpy with no bills to my name, but better to see myself mowing down Super Mutants with a minigun than, as Yahtzee aptly put it, "Tommy Testosterone Tits".

In my opinion it gives the experience more depth. That's why you play these games, because you see yourself being A)Hero of the Land or B)The Anti-Christ. It gives you much more satisfaction in your actions.

teletran3

Sep 10, 2008
I try to make my character look cool, so no, it doesn't look like me. I have no badass tattoos or disfiguring scars. However, I did make my new Xbox avatar to look like me. It will be interesting to see how that turns out when they add content for the avatars.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
galletea said:
Vanguard1219 said:
I read that as "It's more fun than playing with yourself." Damn my dirty mind.

I can't, honestly, understand why people would find it weird that it's an avatar in the model of them dying over and over again. It's just pixels after all. I actually oddly feel more attachment to those squads in RTS games which survive repeated battles than any individual avatar I've ever played.

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
galletea said:
I'll apologise now if this has been done but I haven't seen it in the last month's pages of threads
You're right, my "Does your character look like you" thread was a few months ago, so this should be fine, besides it's different enough because of the motivation you ask about.

On topic, no. I do not make characters look like me, and I think this may be partly because I don't really like myself or my life; playing video games is my escape from those things about mself and my life that I don't like.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Amnestic said:

I can't, honestly, understand why people would find it weird that it's an avatar in the model of them dying over and over again. It's just pixels after all. I actually oddly feel more attachment to those squads in RTS games which survive repeated battles than any individual avatar I've ever played.
You and your dirty mind...
Well it may just be pixels but I guess it is a form of escapism. You tend to appreciate a character more if you can relate to them, and the best way to do that when you are playing Mr/Ms Generic, is to make them look like you. I haven't really played any RTS games to be able to comment on that.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I do find I get more attached to an avatar that looks like me compared with one that doesn't. On games with character creation I normaly either make myself or a character that looks like a female version of me-on games like mass effect or fallout that have multiple play through oppotunities I tend to make both.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
Other than my NXE avatar, no. To design a character after your self is narsisstic, and takes some of the escape out of the game.

Sib

Dec 22, 2007
I try to cover my characters head in the most concealing helmet I can find, as well as the most bad-ass armour until he resembles a walking tank with little or no distinguishing features.

Before helmeting I give him a very rough representation of me, just basic hair, eye, gender, height.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Amnestic said:
galletea said:
Vanguard1219 said:

Yes, damn you and your predictably dirty mind, sir.

Anyway, getting on topic, I don't really have a problem with an avatar of myself getting brutally disfigured in a game, it's just that I'm nitpicky enough that I can never really make a representation of me that I'm actually happy with. I think the only game recently where that wasn't the case was the Penny Arcade game, where I came up with something like this:

With games like KoToR, Mass Effect, and so on, I just re-created one of the people from my perpetual cast of ongoing characters and used them instead. At lest this way I'm going in with a pre-existing "mythos" of who this person is and what they've accomplished (sort of).

As for other people being disturbed by that, I guess it's more of a personal thing. On some deep, psychological level, a person may be less willing to do something incredibly risky and borderline suicidal if the person they're sending in is a representation of themselves. Sure, it's easy to watch Generic Space Marine #68,234 get disemboweled by an alien monster and then have his lower intestines used as a jump rope, but when it's your lower intestines they're double-dutching with, it may not be so easy.

God, these examples of mine just keep getting worse and worse, don't they?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Aiden Rebirth said:
Other than my NXE avatar, no. To design a character after your self is narsisstic, and takes some of the escape out of the game.
I don't think that it is narcissistic, if anything it would add to the escapism, being able to see yourself doing things you'd never be able to achieve.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Mariena said:
killerbutt..
I know I'm late to this, but..

AHH! KILLER BUTTS!

Anyway, point: I make the character look like me, and he will naturally act like me as I play my character as me...because I'm me, you see?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
Mariena said:
killerbutt..

AHH! KILLER BUTTS!

Anyway, point: I make the character look like me, and he will naturally act like me as I play my character as me...because I'm me, you see?
So no hefting weapons as big as you around then? Unless you do that already of course.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
galletea said:
Danny Ocean said:
Mariena said:
killerbutt..

AHH! KILLER BUTTS!

So no hefting weapons as big as you around then? Unless you do that already of course.
That's a good point, actually. I personally can't use an eight-foot steel sword, raise monsters from the dead, or throw things around with my mind. Believe you me, I've tried to lean how to do the last one, and it ain't easy. At any rate, that's why most people create a person why can do those things. It's also the reason why people make themselves, too. This way they can put themselves into a situation where they can, in fact, throw a car 50 yards threw the air using their mind.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
galletea said:
Aiden Rebirth said:
I don't think that it is narcissistic, if anything it would add to the escapism, being able to see yourself doing things you'd never be able to achieve.
the narcissistic thing is opinion I guess, but why would I want to be me? up until college I played videogames to be someone else, to escape my boring life, so I didn't want to be me, now that I matured and have a far more interesting and fun life, I still don't play as me simply because I don't need to spice my life up, so I look at it like a book, characters in a media outlet seperate me from reality, I don't like them to overlap.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Aiden Rebirth said:
the narcissistic thing is opinion I guess, but why would I want to be me? up until college I played videogames to be someone else, to escape my boring life, so I didn't want to be me, now that I matured and have a far more interesting and fun life, I still don't play as me simply because I don't need to spice my life up, so I look at it like a book, characters in a media outlet seperate me from reality, I don't like them to overlap.
Fair point. Perhaps it is just a way of relating to a character, the way you would in a novel, but without the same level of immersion.