Wave Hoax Tricks Gullible iPhone Users Into Microwaving Their Phones

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Jumwa said:
Whatever makes you feel better about sucking more empathy from the world and leaving it crueler and less caring.
Sorry, I can't fake sympathy for an idiot who'd put their electronic device in a microwave. Nor do I feel pangs of empathy for someone who sticks their tongue to a frozen lamp-post, puts their hand on a hot burner, or loses their life savings to a "Nigerian Prince."
If stupidity weren't occasionally harmful or hazardous, people wouldn't learn from it. Hopefully these idiots will walk away from the experience a little wiser - and better off, sans iPhone. ;)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
This is freakin' hilarious. This is absolutely freakin' hi-fucking-larious. I'm not saying that you should try to fool people like this, but I am saying that anybody who's so careless with their iPhone that they don't make any kind of factcheck before they freakin' microwave it shouldn't buy one in the first place.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Aeshi said:
By that argument prehaps doctors should start prescribing Arsenic pills (because hey, anyone who doesn't read the side-effects/ingredients list is stupid and deserves it right?)
That's actually alittle different, a doctor is someone you should be able to trust to proscribe the correct medication as that's their profession, one that wouldn't survive without the trust between doctor and patient. These people frying their iPhones are doing so based on an image from twitter, a quick trip to the Apple website would show that no such feature is advertised. Also the repercussions of losing a life is far higher than losing an electronic (and replaceable) device.

I'd say that I'm surprised that there are people whom are so ignorant on how tech works but I honestly cannot say it surprises me at all. It's amazing how dumb people can be with tech and I see it every weekday at work as I'm in IT support, some people just shouldn't be using these devices until their properly trained. Also some training on not trusting everything you see on the net is in order.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with the guy that said anyone stupid enough to try this deserves everything that happens.

AndrlCh

Jun 9, 2013
I feel that the lessons of "if you can't take care of your things, you don't deserve them," and "always question things you hear from strangers" are something more parents need to hammer in to their kids. This probably could have been avoided had the people taken two seconds to actually look it up using their damn phone.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Why are people saying these people deserve what happens to their phone if they microwave it? That's disgusting that people would victim-blame like this. They're just perpetuating troll-culture.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Aeshi said:
So what I'm learning from this thread and its replies is that it's perfectly ok for other people to suffer if said people are "inferior"
It is when you do something /this/ mind numbingly stupid. Plus they also posted the fact that they put their FUCKING PHONE IN A MICROWAVE online, meaning they can't be that bothered either. "lol phone in microwave blowed dem both up lol" There's no way if I did something that dumb I'd shout it from the rooftops. That's just moronic glue to the already stupid decision. They deserve all the piss to be taken that there can be.

This is what happens when you clearly have more money than you do sense.

Perhaps this will teach people not to believe EVERYTHING they see on the internet and do some research before you proliferate the spread of false information with your gullible ass. Oh well, there's always that car made completely out of hemp I suppose.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Absolutionis said:
Why are people saying these people deserve what happens to their phone if they microwave it? That's disgusting that people would victim-blame like this. They're just perpetuating troll-culture.
They're probably saying it because it really is their fault. Nobody forced them to try this out. They're the ones who decided to stick their $200 piece of electronics in a microwave without any hesitation whatsoever because they took a pretty picture at face value. You could try to blame the makers of the image, but trolls are trolls: they would have pranked the gullible in some other way if not this one.

Besides, $200 may be a fair chunk of cash to lose on a prank like this, but if they decided to spend it on an iPhone 6 a week after it released, then the price tag probably isn't hurting them too much anyway. Hopefully, they've wised up and learned not to trust unsubstantiated claims.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Let's say I was a gullible 13 year old who found this online. I'd Google the hell out of this and check everything before I even thought about trying it.

Or I'd remember back to when I left the fork in the bowl of soup.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I saw screencaps of this being 'cooked up' on 4chan

Just glorious

Reminds me of the time they also fooled a lot of girls into shaving themselves bald by making them think Bieber had gotten cancer.

Internet lulz at its finest

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Seems we need mandatory basic science classes before anyone obtains any electronics, or at least a free little booklet saying not what to do with 'em. Bloody Oath.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Heheheheheh, heheh, heeeeheheheh... heheh...heeeh...

Heh... thanks for that.

OT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously though, come the f*ck on people.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Kieve said:
Jumwa said:
Whatever makes you feel better about sucking more empathy from the world and leaving it crueler and less caring.
Sorry, I can't fake sympathy for an idiot who'd put their electronic device in a microwave. Nor do I feel pangs of empathy for someone who sticks their tongue to a frozen lamp-post, puts their hand on a hot burner, or loses their life savings to a "Nigerian Prince."
If stupidity weren't occasionally harmful or hazardous, people wouldn't learn from it. Hopefully these idiots will walk away from the experience a little wiser - and better off, sans iPhone. ;)
Once again, whatever makes you feel good about taking pleasure in other peoples misfortune. That's what clearly matters.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Aeshi said:
Are you serious?

It's a phone, for fuck's sake. A PHONE.

In what pathetic world is one considered "suffering" for destroying their own fucking phone?

They destroyed their own phones by being some combination of gullible, idiotic, or lacking common sense. It's their own fault. And while I won't condone the perpetrators behind the hoax, neither will I feel even the tiniest shred of sympathy for those who were dumb enough to fall for it.

It would've taken all of a few minutes to verify whether or not this charging method works; seconds even. They have only themselves to blame.

You can consider that victim shaming, if you want.

And for the record: No one in this thread referred to anyone as inferior. No one's even implied that they were. (dumb =/= inherently inferior)

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
People tricked iPhone users that their phone was waterproof. Samsung make Galaxy waterproof.

People trick iPhone users they can charge their phone with a microwave...

Galaxy 6 will be microwave chargable?
Makes sense to me!

Get on that, Samsung boffins!

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
well..hopefully they will learn to not be so damn stupid in the future. I'll just be thankful it was just a phone, and not something that could cause damage to other people.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Everytime this happens, and it happens every year in one way another (iOS 7 makes your phone waterproof etc), all mysteries surrounding why people still buy iPhones when they are incredibly expensive, 2 year old technology.

It's no wonder people still buy iPhones when there are people stupid enough to fall for this.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Jumwa said:
Once again, whatever makes you feel good about taking pleasure in other peoples misfortune. That's what clearly matters.
The "misfortune" is entirely self-inflicted here. So yeah, I feel just fine. :)
I'd be a hell of a lot happier if people weren't this brain-hemorrhagingly stupid, but they did get an iPhone in the first place, so I guess I shouldn't expect much better.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Common sense: what is it?

It's kind of sad how people have to be reminded not to do this, truly.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
My sides, it hurts so bad...

No sympathy was spared for these kind of people who can't think for themselves.

If you feel bad for them, Rather than telling people here are bad and heartless, I rather see you TRY to donate money to them so that they can buy a new phone instead.