Wave Hoax Tricks Gullible iPhone Users Into Microwaving Their Phones

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
If you fell for it, you shouldn't be interacting with other people anyway, so it's kind of good they did it. Ha.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Funyahns said:
Whenever I get a prescription I look it up and check out what it does and all the side effects.
I went to the base clinic one day while really sick, they gave me some pills for everything to help me get "better". While I was in the shower, my wife brought me the pills (3 different prescriptions) and I took them. When I got out of the shower, she asks, "Why do they have you taking heart medication?" Yeah - they put someone else's bottle in the bag - if she'd only looked at the name on the bottle. I'm always very cautious about medication too.

Funyahns said:
Hell I had a friend post a Pro Gun story about a girl defending her home with a shot gun. Which would be great, but it was totally bunk. Hey but these people who were dumb enough to do this may think twice next time before they just believe something.
I saw that story a while back too and thought it sounded too good to be true, so I checked it on snopes. I'm thinking there should be a mandatory moment in everyone's life, around age 10-13 or so, where they're given instructions over the internet similar to this WAVE thing, and see what they do. If they don't follow it, or research it, they have good sense; if not, it's a learning experience for them and hopefully they'll learn from it and do research next time.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
In Germany we have a term for that: dümmster anzunehmender User (stupidest user imaginable). They successfully exploited those people ^^. I don't even feel sorry, since they used iPhones.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Dammit people there was a youtube series about this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iU76rDdn2WA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
camazotz said:
I can't decide if this is a chilling testament to how off-the-rails our educational system is, or if its more disturbing that something as obvious as not microwaving your electronic devices is evidence of the idiocracy effect in action, and it's therefore okay to be both amused and disturbed by the fact that we have people who actually fall for this stuff.
This reminds me of those times in school when, to prepare people for work, they'd have some lessons having us read some stories or watch videos of employees doing ridiculously obviously stupid stuff, like being rude to customers, slacking off, constantly being late, not wearing eye/head/hands/foot/mouth protection while working on dangerous equipment, etc. all being things that everybody on the planet should already know. My thoughts were always something along the lines of "I don't know what's worse, that they all think we're stupid enough that we even have to be told not to do this kind of obviously idiotic crap or that the fact that lessons like this exist means that there's people out there right now that actually are."

I get a similar reaction from reading articles like this. I don't think our education system is off the rails, I just think that no matter how good our education might be or could be there will always be plenty of really really stupid people that do really really stupid crap like this regardless.

If I feel anything for these people, it's disgust and maybe pity at the most, I don't even laugh at stuff like this anymore.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
People are dipshits, there is no other way to put this.

I mean, do people stop and think for TEN SECONDS that maybe putting anything that's NOT food in a microwave may be BAD?

Just...

Just....

I can't

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
killerbee256 said:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-one-owners-warned-over-console-bricking-backwards-compatibility-scam-1205744 This?
No, although that's just as terrible. I can't quite remember what it was, but it had something to do with waterproofing one's cell phone, or something like that, and then everyone who tried only crushed their phones in the wash or shorted it out from the water.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Aeshi said:
So what I'm learning from this thread and its replies is that it's perfectly ok for other people to suffer if said people are "inferior"
While some people think that way, I just find it funny to watch people learn the hard way on topics that should really be common sense. And, just the amount of carelessness involved, if you had a phone worth $600+ would you not at least try to be careful with it?
Putting it in a microwave would be the LAST thing most people would do, as microwaves COOK things, and I don't personally know anyone who would want to cook something that valuable, even if they were told that they could get a faster charge.

Not saying it's not a cruel prank, but really, if you look at nature, well, natural selection, this is just an example of it, hopefully these people learn and adapt rather than not, because if not, they're going to have a bad time.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
While I'm laughing at this prank, I'm also somewhat concerned that the people dumb enough to fall for it are probably also dumb enough not to avoid the toxic fumes from a battery explosion.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Your Fearless Captain said:
Here is the thread from 4chan. Same people that told people iOS 7 was water proof. http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/832/854/abb.png
Thank you! I was having a pretty rotten day...but how can I not laugh at this? ^________________^

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
I don't think our education system is off the rails, I just think that no matter how good our education might be or could be there will always be plenty of really really stupid people that do really really stupid crap like this regardless.
This. I've seen several cases of people who honestly knew how to handle a debate use researched and peer-reviewed sources to support incredibly dumb stuff, like the Flat Earth Society, homosexuality being somehow immoral or one of the many Lizardmen conspiracies spawned by David Icke and his ilk.

The educational system really only gives you a set of really powerful tools. You can use them to become the next Ken Follett or Stephen King, you can become the next Neil DeGrasse Tyson - or you can fall back in with the Tinfoil Brigade and do the worst thing possible, which is giving airs of legitimacy to crackpot theories.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
I don't even care that these people just wasted hundreds of dollars to brick their phones and damage their microwaves, this is some delicious schadenfreude.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Brother did this. Brother said it'd work.

Started a small house fire.

God, I'm a terrible person.

Seriously, I can't tell whether I'm supposed to be ashamed for out piss-poor excuse for a species or laughing my ass off at our piss-poor excuse for a species.

A little bit of both, I suppose.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Doom972 said:
Maybe Apple are behind this hoax and they did it to get their users to buy a new iPhone quicker.
lol. This hoax was passed around years ago with the conspiracy that "Steve Jobs knows that if people realize they can charge their phones in the microwave, they won't have to buy any charging cables from Apple. Therefore he made a smear campaign stating that microwaving your phone would destroy it in order to make more money". A friend of my sister almost fell for it

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I wonder how many of these phones were already bricks that people decided they wanted to have some fun with and get attention.

Bindal said:
Anyone who belives that deserves to fry their phone, plain and simple. Shall we call them the FryPhone User?
BigTuk said:
Wow.. I hate to sound mean but these fools deserved it.
Genocidicles said:
Aeshi said:
So what I'm learning from this thread and its replies is that it's perfectly ok for other people to suffer if said people are "inferior"
So are you saying that blatant stupidity shouldn't be punished? The people who did this are why everything has a disclaimer nowadays.
Whenever people say stuff like this I wonder if they really mean it, because while stupidity and naivete may not be admirable traits, I doubt anyone could consider them some sort of crime worthy of being harshly punished.

Things were a bit unorthodox in my middle school, the smarter kids were kinda the elites of the social order, and some of them liked to bully and make fun of kids that weren't considered as smart or who got worse grades. Because of that I've never really looked down on idiots with negativity so much as pity, because it's going to make their life harder.

RJ 17 said:
There's Darwinism, Social Darwinism, Political Darwinism, and now I guess we can add Technological Darwinism to the list as well.

Seriously, if you're so moronically dumb that you'd not hesitate to slap your phone in the microwave for a bit then you do indeed deserve to have your phone utterly destroyed. The best part: Apple doesn't owe these simpletons a damn thing! No refund, no new phone, the best they can hope for is a new warning label on the phone's box: "Attention Jackasses: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MICROWAVE YOUR PHONE!"
I'm pretty sure Darwinism only takes affect if the action prevents them from surviving or reproducing, despite what Apple might want you to believe, I don't think people will die from not having an iPhone 6.

Raynor Stott

May 31, 2014
I showed the ad to my 11 year old daughter and her reply to it was "that's got to be fake a phone has metal in it".
So to me that shows the mental age of these people.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
You should be ashamed of yourselves about this whole ordeal! My wife is recovering from gal bladder surgery and she laughed so hard over this that she hurt herself!

That said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

I'm sorry, yes its a cruel prank, yes people WILL do absolutely, obviously stupid things, it's just the fact that there are pics. Pics! It's bad enough that they were yelling about it but the pics! That is what seals the comedic value. No people laughing about this does not make them psychopath/sociopaths. People laugh at others misfortune at times, especially when, while coaxed, is their own fault in the end. Schadenfreude, and its perfectly natural. Its bad that people lost new phones but really. A microwave. The waterproof thing is mildly believable as there are waterproof electronics.

But it was putting it in the microwave.