WayForward Announces Watch Quest - an Apple Watch Exclusive RPG

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
WayForward Announces Watch Quest - an Apple Watch Exclusive RPG

Not since the Game and Watch did I ever think I'd be writing about a watch-exclusive video game.

So the DuckTales remaster [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/apple%20watch?os=apple+watch] from a couple years back, has just announced Watch Quest - an Apple watch exclusive RPG.

Watch Quest stars Shantae and Bolo from the developer's Shantae series, and requires both a iPhone and an Apple Watch to play. Essentially, the phone acts as your "Kingdom" or home base, while the watch is the "Journey" that your hero takes. On your phone, you can equip your hero and upgrade items and such, while transferring them to the watch allows them to solve puzzles, fight bad dudes, and go on adventures.

Think of it as a more advanced version of that Pokemon pedometer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92264-Train-Pokemon-While-Walking-In-Gold-Silver-Remakes] that came with Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

"Players are invited to play passively by selecting longer, easier quests and outfitting the hero up front - or by taking on more difficult quests which require foraging for items as you go," WayForward said.

The game will be available on April 24 - the same day the Apple Watch launches - and will be a free download with in-game microtransactions (as is the style for pretty much every single mobile game).

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/18/wayforward-unveils-watch-quest-coming-exclusively-to-apple-watch/]

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
This will be the first mobile game which won't force players to use microtransactions so they don't have to wait day's to regenerate lives/resources because the battery will go flat before you get to use them all.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
KaZuYa said:
This will be the first mobile game which won't force players to use microtransactions so they don't have to wait day's to regenerate lives/resources because the battery will go flat before you get to use them all.
Famous ... last... words

Seriously thougfh a game that requires the player to have two overoriced novelty gadgets to play? Gee move over Nintendo..

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Revolutionary said:
Next week, Casio to announce rpg exclusive to their fx calculator series.
Games on calculators you say? [http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/basic/games/rpg/]

Man I remember being in high school and, outside of maths class, whipping out my calculator for little else.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
JCAll said:
Finally, a Shantae game even fewer people will play than the original.
Too far, man. I almost cried just now.

--------------------------

My first thought when checking out that picture was "Why is Shantae wearing Sky's hood and vest?"

Neat idea, cool use of gadgets, but JCA11's right in that you have to wonder how many people will actually play it. The barrier of entry seems ridiculously high.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Shantae has already sold out before her first multi-plat launch? What happened to you, girl?

In all seriousness, I wonder why Wayforward went with their top in-house IP. Are they getting bold enough to expand the brand, especially to the demographics that blow $300 on a wrist band? A true entry in the series would be hard to pull off on a watch, so I guess an RPG with the typical mobile microtransaction crap thrown had to be done. At least this ever so slightly might get some people interested in the main games.

BX3 said:
My first thought when checking out that picture was "Why is Shantae wearing Sky's hood and vest?"
At first glance, I thought she was Sky, and Bolo and Sky were getting their own spinoff.

Wild Mass Guessing: Maybe the prudes at Apple said, "That girl needs more clothes," and WayForward responded by just giving her Sky's slightly less revealing cloak and top?

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
This actually sounds like a cool idea. The Apple watch is still super stupid but hey- neat game.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Maybe it'll get ported to the 3DS, like most games that require 2 screens.

Wait, how would you even play a game that requires you to hold an IPad in one hand and an IWatch attacked to the other? With your feet?