Waypoints: Spore's Evolving Retail Outlook

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
Waypoints: Spore's Evolving Retail Outlook

Spore may be "just plain weird," but Adam LaMosca thinks its ability to captivate his family is a good indication that the masses are itching to help some monsters evolve.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Spore could be a great game. I just wish they'd release the damn thing already! Or a better demo, heh. But this is EA we're dealing with, so customer support/service is secondary at best, heh.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I'd love to say I'm more enthusiastic... and I hate to be "that guy"... but I'm sure they'll manage to screw it up somehow.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
sunami88 said:
... I'm sure they'll manage to screw it up somehow.
I'm afraid to say this, but I agree with the guy. It's EA. That means they will screw up something. Oh, and let's not forget the franchise-ization (ugh). I wouldn't be surprised if EA just released Spore by stages. First you get the amoeba phase, then you can buy the rest of the phases as add-on packs, so EA can cash in that $50 four times before you can play the full game. There will be add-ons with new body parts, new vehicle parts, new settings...etc. GAWD, the day I die will be the one when a game is released with ALL it's features and stuff intact...

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Its also Maxis, and they very rarely screw up. EA is just the publisher, not the developer. The worst thing they'll do to Spore is that asinine DRM nonsense. This is on my short list of things I'm really looking forward to.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
ReepNeep said:
Its also Maxis, and they very rarely screw up. EA is just the publisher, not the developer. The worst thing they'll do to Spore is that asinine DRM nonsense. This is on my short list of things I'm really looking forward to.
True - thankfully, Maxis are a good company - I think EA were the ones behind the 10^10^10 addon packs for the Sims - as for Spore, I can imagine them doing alot of addon packs, but nothing that'll really screw things up. After all, they get to publish perhaps one of the best selling games ever since The Sims itself, and it's being ported to Mac and Nintendo DS too.

As for the DRM thing, yeah, thats annoying, although I believe they took out that mindnumbing stupid 'you must connect to our servers every 10 days' thing, so at least they aren't suicidial.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
I like Adam. I honestly think that his articles are amongst the best on the site, and his anticipation for Spore is shared by millions worldwide. Unfortunately, I feel the article was quite short in all, and left a lot of speculation open without any real analysis. For instance:

How exactly do species transition from one arena of scale to the next, for example?
We know that we use DNA points to add more stuff to our creatures. We get these points based on the period of life we're living (cells, for instance, eat other cells whilst tribes conquer other civilisations). I imagine transition will be slow, but upon reaching a certain stage of evolution, you'll transfer through the stages Sims 2-style.

How large is the universe that I can personally explore?
About a galaxy wide; few hundred planets.

How will content be shared from one user to the next?
Automatic Sporepedia downloads, mainly. This goes for vehicles and building design too.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Melaisis said:
We know that we use DNA points to add more stuff to our creatures. We get these points based on the period of life we're living (cells, for instance, eat other cells whilst tribes conquer other civilisations). I imagine transition will be slow, but upon reaching a certain stage of evolution, you'll transfer through the stages Sims 2-style.
There are two ways of gaining DNA points, when you kill and eat something, you gain DNA points or when you socialize you gain DNA points. When your ready (or if they have a set time you have to do this) you go out and find a mate, and do it, an egg is then layed, from there you add new parts with your DNA points

....do you know how big a galaxy is? Within the first week people will have THOUSANDS of solar systems in their galaxy at LEAST(the game isn't multiplayer, its massively singleplayer (I'm not explaining what that means)) Solar systems will be constantly added while you play as people make species that coincide with your play style

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I am really, really excited for spore. I doubt it will be messed up. Though it is EA, its also Maxis, which seem to be the only reliable company EA have. I imagine there will be about 20 expansion packs by this time next year but apart from that I think spore will be one of the best games I play this year (if it is this year)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
DamienHell said:
....do you know how big a galaxy is? Within the first week people will have THOUSANDS of solar systems in their galaxy at LEAST(the game isn't multiplayer, its massively singleplayer (I'm not explaining what that means)) Solar systems will be constantly added while you play as people make species that coincide with your play style
Indeed - I believe it was somewhat larger when Will Wright did his many, many talks. That said, most people will probably only see a few hundred planets when they play it, although a few will explore the huge possible universe around them.