Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I disagree with just about everything you say here, excluding the acrobatics and athletics, which I just plain didn't care about.

The character creator is worse? So you're saying you managed to make a decent looking character in the last game? The character creator is honestly the best I've ever seen. My guy looks like a bad ass.

The UI is fine. It stays out of the way when it needs to, and it isn't trying to impress you. It's a simple way to show you your stats.

But for fuck's sake I don't care about any of that. How do you people legitimately believe the character creator is worse? I know it's an opinion and all but Jesus... that is the most backwards thing I've ever heard.

JambalayaBob

Dec 11, 2010
Well, I know plenty of ways that Oblivion is better:

* Terrible optimization locks all the noobs out of the PC version, purifying the PC gaming community
* Ugly ass faces make it easier to kill people because there's no way that you're gonna sympathize with a face as ugly as the ones in Cyrodiil
* Crappy leveling system makes sure that only those who payed extra for the strategy guide (or are already familiar with Elder Scrolls games) will have any clue how to play the game without getting destroyed by enemies
* Repetitive dungeons and overworld harken back to the days of the most primitive RPGs
* Oversimplification of gameplay mechanics makes sure that once you get past the crap leveling system, you will have no trouble killing any enemy, since it requires no strategy and enemies level up with you anyways.
* Repetitive and boring main quest makes it easy for you to go on outside of the story and never return, until you get sick of the just-as-repetitive sidequests after doing the few good ones, at least.

With all these amazing features that Skyrim simply lacks, it's impossible to argue Oblivion's clear superiority!

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
I could never fully get into Oblivion. But I did like the hot key system on the controller and I guess greaves being separate from armor. I wish they would have kept athletics and acrobatics but made them take longer to level up as well.

I won't miss rolling up on bandits in full daedric armor and I hated Oblivion gates.
I also prefer the new more stripped down UI.(OK i'll admit got a font mod for it. That standard font doesn't work in Skyrim)

All in all though I'll always miss being able to become a ridiculously overpowered god in the land of Morrowind.

For me Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Morowind yet. I've only had 2 hours of olivion gameplay, but to me Morrowind seemed much better. Sure the graphics were by far inferior, but Morrowind made you feel so free, so curious about trying new stuff and realy imerged you into the game play. I loved the fact that I could train my alteration skill then cast a powerfull levitation spell that allowed me to outfly those racers. Then before landing I would fly up castin area effect fireballs that killed all the racers that had followed me. Or without the alteration/destruction skill use a mages guild to get to fivec then cast the spell that gets you to the teple (or use an amulet) buy a levitation potion give it to the statue, and do pretty much the same except with weapons. I'm not sure but I don't think the latter games allowed you to goof around like that.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
well
oblivion felt more like a scaled down for console(read: dumbed down) version of Morrowind while Skyrim feels lie something different completely.
but things that oblivion does better?
well it does have the literal hell in it so there's that.
Oh and Oblivion had blunt axes.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
octafish said:
Wait, hold up a minute. Skyrim's UI is worse than Oblivion? How is that even possible? Well, a decent UI mod will be the first thing I source for Skyrim when I buy it in three years.
Actually ... yeah. Active effects like disease are in the magic menu... you have to back out to switch to that. There's no quick paperdoll view. No way to see weight, price, equipped items quickly or sort by them. No scroll bar either. You have to use keyboard and mouse and you can't use exclusively either.

Good game but the UI is still terrible. Oh and it doesnt register clicks well.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Fieldy409 said:
Crono1973 said:
kebab4you said:
Fair points, EXCEPT for athletics & acrobatics, those broke oblivion(like Morrowind) so bad.
They break Oblivion if you choose them as Major Skills. If they are minor skills, they are fantastic.

Unless he's talking about the crazy shit you could pull with a high acrobatics. Which got even more mad when you added buff acrobatics 100 points spells and cast more than one at the same time! You could jump up oblivion gate towers!
Well, casting buff spells isn't a failing of having an acrobatic skill and let's be clear here, you could abuse any skill if you tried hard enough.

Adam Kwasnicki

Nov 19, 2011
I'ma let you finish, but Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game of all time.

also, Haters Gonna Hate. That's all this thread really is.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
Crono1973 said:
I have found Skyrim to be a step down from Oblivion in a few ways:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?
1. Good riddance imo. But I see what you mean.

2. Um... No. It's 10 times better than the oblivion one now.

3. It is just a white/gray frame. It's functional and clean.

4. No, it was designed to be sleek and functional, what have you been smoking? You couldn't organize your inventory in oblivion either. And you can see you character while equiping stuff, just go into 3rd person, rotate the camera, and go into the item screen. Voilá!

5. Well, Skyrim hasn't been patched yet, but I don't own a PS3, so you may be right about that one.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TheSaw said:
I miss the "Stop right there criminal scum!"

But seriously, I much prefer the cities in Oblivion, they just seem more lively. I do like the ones in Skyrim and I can understand why they're smaller and less busy, but yeah. I liked the cities in Oblivion more.
These two reasons. I almost always play an assassin or thief. I never knew how much I had bonded with the guards until I played Skyrim and was never called "criminal scum". D:

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
I didn't play much Oblivion because I felt it had too steep a learning curve so every time I try to play it, I never get passed the first Oblivion gate.

Skyrim is so far more of my type of game.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Also I found the character creator to be nice and actually functions alot better than in oblivion.
Just a bunch of presets. Most of which suck.
I'm hoping that you're aware that the presets can all be fully edited into whatever you want.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
So far all I see in your argument Chrono, is logical fallacies of a man looking at numbers and not the actual game itself.

Skyrim is an imperfect game, but don't for a second believe that Oblivion was better than Skyrim, mostly because the only reason Oblivion stayed over the water is because Mods fixed EVERYTHING.

For example: I was very disappointed in the choice for eyes. Sure I could choose something that made me look like a half-blind orc looking for blood, but it didn't have a good spectrum of choice. Besides the eyes however, I found the Character Creation to be far superior to Oblivion and gave all my needs.

I love the fact that the UI sorts everything from Items to Spells alphabetically (Which is what I would set it to anyways). I also find it to be less laggy than the Xbox 360 version of Oblivion (Compared to Skyrim Xbox 360). The only thing that slows me down in UI is the autosave feature, which I have set for every 5 minutes.

I actually find the UI to look better, as it forces me to look at the entire screen. If you don't like it, just get a mod, just like people did in Oblivion and Morrowind.

I am SO HAPPY that they got rid of those useless skills Ath/Acro, because in this game they would only serve to level up your character way to fast. So unless you want that shitty Class system back, call bethesda and tell them to de-evolve back to Oblivion, and than Oblivion to Morrowind, and so on so forth.

The Character Models are a lot better than in Oblivion. Argonians for instance actually do look like lizards instead of that lame figure we once watched in Oblivion. Kahjiit are absolutely gorgeous because they actually look like KITTIES; than we have the Elves (Bosmer, Altmer, Dunmer, and the non-playable Thalmer) These ethnicities of the Mer actually look like they belong to the Elvish Species, instead of looking like oddly faced Humans with sharp pointed ears. Another thing I like is that all the species don't have those annoying pudgy faces like they did in Oblivion, almost like they had a full mouth of bullshit all the time.

And of course Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim at it's worst. Oblivion on its lowest setting allows the computer to play it smoothly, yet look like total shit. Skyrim has the same problem since it's a god damn game but it still looks better and at this point is playable by shitty computers. My friend plays Skyrim on a laptop on Ultra settins across the board and no lag whatsoever. However you are looking at it through a Console Perspective, and I say that since I played Xbox for both Oblivion and Skyrim, I say Skyrim is by for the smoothest.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Instant K4rma said:
Crono1973 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Number of dragons in Oblivion: 0
Number of dragons in Skyrim: infinity
I don't care and I have never cared about the inclusion of dragons. They're pretty weak anyway but let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none. To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

That everyone was so hyped that there were dragons in this game, I just never understood.
So what it really comes down to is personal preference. You don't care about dragons while others, me included, love them. I guess I don't see the point of this thread in that case. If you like Oblivion over Skyrim, then play Oblivion. Case closed, I guess?
The point of this thread is that there are some things that Oblivion did better ON THE SAME HARDWARE. The UI on Skyrim looks horrible, they could have made it on the SNES with 2 colors (black and gray). The UI on Oblivion has a sort of wood grain look which is more appropriate to the time period and it's far more functional. Both UI's were consolized but they decided to make the Skyrim UI more about looks. They thought it more important that you could see a sword in 3D than being able to see your avatar or being able to sort.

I get that everyone was so excited about dragons but I don't understand why. You want dragons, they are in many other games and they have never been all that exciting. Before Skyrim came out I wasn't excited for them and now that I have fought a few, I am still not excited for them. Apparently that's blasphemy but to each his own.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm confused at some peoples opinions here but to each their own.

I think Skyrim moves, functions, looks, sounds better than Oblivion. There's far more and better voices, they cut out a lot of needless stuff, the game doesn't feel/work as silly as Oblivion. I don't know I had a lot of minor gripes with Oblivion and this game just seems to do it right.

I mean my friend complained you can't do alchemy on the go. Okay so it's perfectly rational to get out your 20 pounds of alchemy gear, grind things up, boil and mix while behind the next door is a bandit group?

The land doesn't seem copy-pastad as bad as Oblivion was, there's more life to it and such. And you can't cop out and say it's an older game, this is the topic of the thread basically. A lot of this was added through mods into oblivion but still the game just didn't feel as complete to me as this does.

I'd say the only thing I miss is durability, I like having to maintain your gear but I guess either way it's fine.

Edit: I noticed a lot of people are talking about the console version, and I've only seen Oblivion on console so I have nothing I can say about that. I'm speaking strictly from a PC perspective.

Dec 27, 2010
And the third part of my prophecy has come to pass; people will start wistfully looking back at Oblivion despite the fact that when it came out everyone was wistfully looking back at Morrowind. Another fine example of unrealistic fanboy expectations, and "contrary-ism".

Edit:
Substitute Troll said:
5. Well, Skyrim hasn't been patched yet, but I don't own a PS3, so you may be right about that one.
I'm actually not sure what he's talking about there, the game feels far smoother than Oblivion did on release (and I'm playing on the PS3). Oblivion crashed on me numerous times, and generally looked pretty dull, while the technical gripes I've had with Skyrim are occasional, minute framerate drops and lack of texture detail on far-away landscapes (both problems that were much worse in Oblivion), and it also looks considerably better, in both graphical fidelity, texture work and art-design.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
I personally, did not feel so overwhelmed when playing Oblivion I had watched it being played by others so often it was like stepping into a very familiar place.

Obviously its not Skyrim fault, its new.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Oblivion (pc) can be converted into Nehrim.

If you don't convert it, well, the voice acting is unintentionally funnier in Oblivion, and that Dark Brotherhood quest line still rocks. Oblivion also has Shivering Isles, and Skyrim hasn't been out long enough for that type of extra content yet.