WB Announces "Metropolis" A Superman Prequel Series For Digital Streaming

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
A live-action Superman prequel has been ordered straight-to-series at DC?s upcoming digital streaming service, Variety has learned.
From Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment, the series?titled ?Metropolis?? is set in the famous comic book city before the arrival of Superman. It will follow Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city?s dark and bizarre secrets. It has received an order for a 13 episode first season and will go into production later this year for a debut on the service in 2019.
The project was previously under consideration at Fox, where it would have served as a companion to ?Gotham,? the drama about Gotham City before the arrival of Batman.
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/superman-prequel-series-live-action-dc-streaming-1202681347/

Didn't see this coming. It is nice to focus on other characters within the Superman mythos besides Superman himself. Though it being made by the guys behind Gotham doesn't inspire too much confidence.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
But I like Gotham. :(

(Well, at least season 1, haven't watched the show beyond that.)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Zzzzzz

Wake me up with a Superman fighitng Giant Monsters and Superpowered Villains equal to him.
So...Man of Steel and Justice League?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Zzzzzz

Wake me up with a Superman fighitng Giant Monsters and Superpowered Villains equal to him.
So...Man of Steel and Justice League?
Yes. Because saving Falling Airplanes and stopping an emo girl commiting suicide is boring to me.

Or at the very least I wish someone adapts Kingdom Come already!!!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Hawki said:

You're not alone. My girlfriend and I are current on Gotham and we really enjoy it. Different strokes!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Intrepid journalist tries to get the scoop on fantastical superheroes and villains? That to me is compelling idea, and certainly one that has more mileage than Gotham (aka, "Batman villains, before they were interesting!"). I hate Gotham, and don't want to see this idea in these guy's hands.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Zzzzzz

That's the problem with Gotham! Nothing happens, and nothing can happen, because its 20 years before Batman shows up. So we know Gordon doesn't die, with no none of the criminals are caught and sent away. Because its a story about Batman...without Batman.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Zzzzzz

I'd rather watch a Superman show about him saving people and dealing with his normal life.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I don't even like Gotham and yet it has more of a plausible reason to exist than this or Krypton show does. Heck, even Smallville had a better reason to exist.

Apr 5, 2008
It isn't Smallville, it can burn in a fire. Then the ashes can be put in the toilet and flushed down the toilet so it goes thru all the pipes with poo in them so the ashes are covered in poo.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Sounds kinda like the show Fringe with Superman characters. So if you removed the connection to Superman you could release it as an entirely new IP.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Zzzzzz

The most interesting Superman stories aren't him fighting giant monsters and overpowered villains. All the best stories deal with his humanity and emotions. You are the reason people think Superman is a boring character.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Natemans said:
I don't even like Gotham and yet it has more of a plausible reason to exist than this or Krypton show does. Heck, even Smallville had a better reason to exist.
Smallville was pretty good up until Michael Rosenbaum left. I fucking loved him as Lex.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Zzzzzz

The most interesting Superman stories aren't him fighting giant monsters and overpowered villains. All the best stories deal with his humanity and emotions. You are the reason people think Superman is a boring character.
I know that, I have read For The Man Who Has Everything, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way, and Kingdom Come , and partially familiar with All-Star Superman.

But thats all I have been exposed to about Supermna being human and saving people that just this once, I wanna see Superman cutloose and fight as a Warrior.

After seeing Goku vs Superman in Death Battle (the first one), I want to see more of Superman doing that, Just for once give me more the Super than the Man:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hawki said:

I had to watch season 1 while playing a game. The logic of that show is... Well there isn't much. It hurt my brain when thinking about it. For season 2, they take any logic they had and threw it out the window. It was actually a much better experience. I heard it gets crazier, into comics crazy range.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Kenbo Slice said:
Natemans said:
Smallville was pretty good up until Michael Rosenbaum left. I fucking loved him as Lex.
Same.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Zzzzzz

I know that, I have read For The Man Who Has Everything, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way, and Kingdom Come , and partially familiar with All-Star Superman.

But thats all I have been exposed to about Supermna being human and saving people that just this once, I wanna see Superman cutloose and fight as a Warrior.

After seeing Goku vs Superman in Death Battle (the first one), I want to see more of Superman doing that, Just for once give me more the Super than the Man:

Superman isn't a warrior, if you want a super powered person with a warrior mentality then check out Wonder Woman, Thor, Hercules, and Goku/Vegeta. Not Superman

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
After seeing Goku vs Superman in Death Battle (the first one), I want to see more of Superman doing that, Just for once give me more the Super than the Man
You do know that's what they've been doing for the last three movies, right? Superman just smashing shit, like he's the Hulk in tights.

I don't really understand what's leaving you wanting in that area. Superman actually being an engaging character a la All Star Superman is something we haven't seen in a movie since... ever.