WB/DC Plans Live-Action Teen Titans TV Series

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
WB/DC Plans Live-Action Teen Titans TV Series

Nightwing, Starfire and friends may become the next big DC Comics TV series

Marvel may have Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returning for a second season and four Netflix series coming down the pike, but in terms of sheer volume DC is the undisputed king of comic-book heroes on TV: Deadline reports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/11990-Arrow-Gets-an-Explosive-Season-3-Trailer] that The Teen Titans could be next - though perhaps without the "Teen" part.

According to Deadline's Nellie Andreeva, Titans is "nearing a pilot order" at TNT. The story calls the prospective cable drama an "action series" that will focus on Dick Grayson transitioning from his role as Batman sidekick Robin to a new grownup identity as Nightwing, leading a team that would include sorceress Starfire [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Raven] and "many others." Akiva Goldsman, who wrote Batman & Robin nearly two decades ago, will write and executive-produce the pilot.

Originally created in 1964 as a "Junior Justice League" made up of grownup heroes' teen-sidekicks, The Teen Titans are today best known from the Deathstroke, [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/New_Teen_Titans_Vol_1] current appears as a character on Arrow - though there is no indication that Titans would share continuity with that series like The Flash will.

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://deadline.com/2014/09/titans-show-dc-comics-tnt-pilot-order-833189/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/]

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Oh HELL yeah! I WILL TAKE IT! I don't care if the casting is terrible, or the storyline is way too cheesy or if the superpowers are inconsistent... I WILL TAKE IT. As long as there is SOME kind of drama I will be happy.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I have to say that while I think I didn't appreciate it as much at the time it was a really great cartoon. I almost hope they base it on the cartoon as I never really took to the comic very much. But definitely a much cooler property for DC in my opinion than a lot of their other stuff.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I wonder who they're gonna have play Starfire and Raven. I'm not gonna watch it because these TV versions of cartoons/comics I enjoyed as a kid just don't appeal to me. But I do find myself curious who they cast in these roles.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I'm strangle agreeable for this if it follows the quality Arrow has gotten in later seasons

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, live action automatically gets it points for not being so ashamed of itself that it had to rip off anime visuals. I was never a fan of the art style for the cartoon.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
On one hand, more Teen Titans. On the other, post-The-Dark-Knight-DC. I really want this to be good, but I doubt it will. Also depends on what material they're basing it on, as I never read the comic. I remember seeing a webcomic strip about growing up with the cartoon and then migrating to the comics, can someone find that?

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Oooh, interesting!
Now lets wait for the disappointing announcement that the show will have no jokes, and since this is Teens we're talking about... angst. Lots... and LOTS, of angst.

Please DC, just have your new writers marathon the original series, go from there, and you can craft an interesting take on the classic gold mine that was that cartoon.

Sep 24, 2008
JagermanXcell said:
Oooh, interesting!
Now lets wait for the disappointing announcement that the show will have no jokes, and since this is Teens we're talking about... angst. Lots... and LOTS, of angst.
Great. Now you have me convinced that this is going to turn into the Superpowered version of the OC.

So much anger do I have...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Well, live action automatically gets it points for not being so ashamed of itself that it had to rip off anime visuals. I was never a fan of the art style for the cartoon.
I don't get it, what was wrong with the visuals? It's not like the Japanese haven't borrowed techniques from us. As long as the visuals support the tone of the story, and the writing is consistently good, does it really matter? I thought Avatar did an excellent job as well. Though, that was actually animated in Korea, so I suppose that ones debatable.

Anyway, I can't see this being big. Certainly not as good as the animated version, which I adored as a child. I don't think it can capture the scope, meaning that it will have to rely on character drama. Thankfully they have the writer from Batman and Robin, who is known the world over for his quality of writing and deep character studies.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
DrunkenElfMage said:
the superpowers are inconsistent...
It's a t.v series, which means the superpowers will be virtually non existent. For the most part, sure the first episode or two will have the mandatory flash bang to draw in viewers, but then it will be like Agents where it will have character driven story/filler episodes because they burned through too much of the effects budget.

I don't see this series lasting beyond one season, if that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Fox12 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I don't get it, what was wrong with the visuals? It's not like the Japanese haven't borrowed techniques from us. As long as the visuals support the tone of the story, and the writing is consistently good, does it really matter? I thought Avatar did an excellent job as well. Though, that was actually animated in Korea, so I suppose that ones debatable.
I am not a fan of anime that abuse those stupid tear drops, exaggerated features and shoddy animation that appear when a character gets shocked, angry, embarrassed or scared. You know what I'm talking about. It looks terrible, and why Teen Titans felt the need to emulate such an annoying style baffles me.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Yes, yes, yes, yes yes yesyesyesyes OH SWEET MERCIFUL MARV WOLFMAN YES! Maybe it's a little early to be getting hyped, but I'm feeling pretty freaking hyped! Especially if it shares a universe with Arrow and Flash, just so we can get Arrow's Deathstroke.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Racecarlock said:
Watch out for erin yeager, DC. I hear he doesn't like titans very much.
Your comment made me laugh.

VanQ said:
I wonder who they're gonna have play Starfire and Raven. I'm not gonna watch it because these TV versions of cartoons/comics I enjoyed as a kid just don't appeal to me. But I do find myself curious who they cast in these roles.
I have nothing to say to you about the op, though I quote you regardly because I am curious where the source of your avatar is from.

On subject.... this has to be better than the stupid Justice League Court Case. Please don't fuck this up. Admittedly, I'm one of those kids who was born in 1991, so my experience with the Titans was the FUCKING AMAZING 2000 age cartoon, but still, I'm willing to be open minded. So long as it doesn't suck.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
FillerDmon said:
Racecarlock said:
Watch out for erin yeager, DC. I hear he doesn't like titans very much.
Your comment made me laugh.

VanQ said:
I have nothing to say to you about the op, though I quote you regardly because I am curious where the source of your avatar is from.

On subject.... this has to be better than the stupid Justice League Court Case. Please don't fuck this up. Admittedly, I'm one of those kids who was born in 1991, so my experience with the Titans was the FUCKING AMAZING 2000 age cartoon, but still, I'm willing to be open minded. So long as it doesn't suck.
It's from season two of Sword Art Online.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
This more or less makes up for them canning the Raven series they were planning. Yay Titans!

Now if only the comics would stop sucking.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Either going to be really good, or really, really bad. I'm not really a fan of live action comic book adaptations. Cartoons can always get away with more because they don't need to do a huge budget every time someone cuts loose with a power, whereas live action is restrained by that it seems. But it can work in the right hands. I'll give it a chance.

P.S. If they get Raven or Starfire wrong--as in, emo moppy kid and super sexy with nothing else going on--then I won't waste my time.