WB/DC Plans Live-Action Teen Titans TV Series

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Are they gonna pull a Red Hood and the Outlaws and have Starfire bang every guy in the pilot episode?

...I mean if you're gonna throw a pilot out there, I guess that's one way to ensure it'll get picked up.

Sarcasm aside, I could get excited about this. I think there's potential...I'm just gonna be cautious.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Yay, now I get to hear my fellow 2003 series fans ***** about this now...

immortalfrieza said:
I don't know about everybody else, but I dismissed Go! because:

1. It was a cartoon initially billed as a continuation of the previous show at least in spirit before it came out, then it came out and obviously wasn't even remotely like the previous show.

2. It was born from the demands of fans prompted by Teen Titans shorts that actually were faithful to the 2003 series, and then completely failed to be faithful itself.

3. The characters are a bunch a hypocritical psychopaths masquerading as heroes that gives no reason to give a damn about anything that's going on.

4. It's a show starring superheroes that don't actually do anything remotely heroic or super.

5. The 2003 show knew when to be funny, when to be serious, and when to get to the action and how to do all of it, and as a result made each part more effective than it could have ever been on it's own. Any particular episode of Go! is just one bad joke and slapstick after another, and unlike other shows like Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry and so on that do the same, the jokes and slapstick are horrible and frequently extremely dark. Black comedy without the actual comedy. For instance, one episode has Beast Boy pranking the entire team into killing themselves before ending up dead himself, there's nothing funny about that and the entirety of Go! is just as bad.

6. The characters are generic. They could take them out and replace them with any other cartoon's characters and you'd never be able to tell the show was a Teen Titans show or any other superhero show for that matter.

In short, Go! is terrible in every way it could be bad, and the fact that the much better show to compare it to preceded it doesn't help matters. However, even if the 2003 show hadn't existed Go! would still be no less bad.

Young Justice is what Teen Titans Go! SHOULD have been like, but it didn't last long.
Sigh...

Okay, I loved the crap out of the 2003 series but, personally, I like Go! for what it is. Yeah, it's just one goofy skit after another but it was never mean't to have the emotional depth of the original series and how are the shorts faithful to it? They're exactly the same as Go! they just focus more on the action as opposed to the characters. Granted when Go! focuses on the them it pushes them to ridiculous extremes for the purpose of comedy, I agree they're a little generic in the sense that they're static.

I like that people really want kids and CN to have more shows that focus on actual characters who progress and have emotional depth but I don't like the idea of chucking Go! under the bus.

Also, people need to stop labeling Go! as Young Justice's assassin, that was CN not willing to shill out for a traditionally animated show that wasn't drawing in the crowds it's cheaper shows were.

The kids like Go! and maybe it will get them into the 2003 series like it is my youngest sister, we're gonna watch it together when I next stay at my dads... it's gonna be awesome.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
PunkRex said:
The real problem I have with Go! is it isn't even good "for what it is" at all. I've seen plenty of cartoons that are nothing but just nonsensical mindless slapstick and jokes that I've liked because they DO IT WELL, Go! doesn't. Hell, even the 2003 show itself had a few mindless slapstick jokey episodes and it still did it much better than Go! does. Go! is PAINFUL in it's rather badly done, cliched, and blatant attempts to get the audience to laugh, with a complete lack of subtly, the writers are more concerned with having the characters make these attempts than giving them anything resembling an actual personality, and frequently it gets downright disturbing. As mentioned before the fact that initially billed itself as completely different didn't help matters.

The fact that we have a much better show to compare it to only makes things worse. Even if you weren't a fan just knowing of it's existence is enough. That we all wanted it to be, were lead to believe that Go! would be, and expected it to be a continuation more or less of the old series just twists the knife deeper.

However, the 2003 show and even the comics don't matter. Go! could be a completely original property and it STILL would be absolutely terrible on it's own merits.

You may find Go! funny, I don't, and everything I've said so far would probably be echoed by anybody else that doesn't like it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
I'm not gonna act like Go! is genius, it's not, a lot of it's humor is referential to the DC universe and the stuff that isn't is either slapstick or just kind of random. I just despise the hate it's received, a lot of the 2003 fans get so overly aggressive and that's not any way to make progress.

My point is that Go! is harmless, if people want to get mad then at least direct it in the right way as opposed of bitching at a bunch of kids about how they've ruined their favorite nostalgic show. I've seen so many folks my age rage at modern cartoons without giving most of them a chance.

I suppose i'm more annoyed at my generations current attitude towards cartoons then weather or not Go! is a good show or not, if you hate it fair play.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
PunkRex said:
immortalfrieza said:
I'm not gonna act like Go! is genius, it's not, a lot of it's humor is referential to the DC universe and the stuff that isn't is either slapstick or just kind of random. I just despise the hate it's received, a lot of the 2003 fans get so overly aggressive and that's not any way to make progress.

My point is that Go! is harmless, if people want to get mad then at least direct it in the right way as opposed of bitching at a bunch of kids about how they've ruined their favorite nostalgic show. I've seen so many folks my age rage at modern cartoons without giving most of them a chance.

I suppose i'm more annoyed at my generations current attitude towards cartoons then weather or not Go! is a good show or not, if you hate it fair play.
I've never minded cartoons, but truth be told, the amount actual worthwhile ones coming out these days are few and far between. Most seem like they come out of the fevered dreams of a meth addict and their attempts at humor are painful at best, Go! is just another one of the bad ones.

I don't like Go! not because it's a cartoon, but because I think it fails on EVERY way it possibly could for reasons I've already stated. I don't mind that its a cartoon, I don't mind even that it's not a continuation of the 2003 series or even remotely like it, what I do mind is the blatant lies in it's marketing, inconsistent generic characterization, absolutely terrible attempts at humor, and often sickening actions of the characters that make any dark joke the Looney Tunes ever did seem bright as sunshine and rainbows. Again, the existence of the 2003 just makes it seem even worse because it serves as an example that they can do better than this, even on just the humor itself.

And no, I don't think Go! is harmless, if nothing else it's apparent success is setting a bad precedent for future cartoons ESPECIALLY any future superhero ones. If it's successful enough some executive somewhere is going to start taking cues from it, and that's a bad thing. Also yes, it did outright replace Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series, two much better shows, so people cannot be faulted for thinking that Go! had something to do with that.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
I've never minded cartoons, but truth be told, the amount actual worthwhile ones coming out these days are few and far between. Most seem like they come out of the fevered dreams of a meth addict and their attempts at humor are painful at best, Go! is just another one of the bad ones.

I don't like Go! not because it's a cartoon, but because I think it fails on EVERY way it possibly could for reasons I've already stated. I don't mind that its a cartoon, I don't mind even that it's not a continuation of the 2003 series or even remotely like it, what I do mind is the blatant lies in it's marketing, inconsistent generic characterization, absolutely terrible attempts at humor, and often sickening actions of the characters that make any dark joke the Looney Tunes ever did seem bright as sunshine and rainbows. Again, the existence of the 2003 just makes it seem even worse because it serves as an example that they can do better than this, even on just the humor itself.

And no, I don't think Go! is harmless, if nothing else it's apparent success is setting a bad precedent for future cartoons ESPECIALLY any future superhero ones. If it's successful enough some executive somewhere is going to start taking cues from it, and that's a bad thing. Also yes, it did outright replace Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series, two much better shows, so people cannot be faulted for thinking that Go! had something to do with that.
But that's CN's fault, my anger is at the fan base's constant bitching, nothing gets done.

From what I hear, CN canceled Young Justice due to poor merchandising sales, as for Green Lanturn, it wasn't aired long enough for me to get a good look at it but i'm guessing that's true for most people so that's likely the reason it got canceled.

If people want their shows to do well they have to put their money where their mouth is and commit, buy some damn toys, comics or the DVD's. There was that online campaign #SaveYoungJustice (which was featured in the background of a TTGo! ep), that's the way to do it, bitching at kids for finding slap stick funny is not.