We Are All Orcs in Shadow of Mordor - Hands-on - Update

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
We Are All Orcs in Shadow of Mordor - Hands-on - Update

There?s amazingly Tolkien-accurate emergent gameplay in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Read Full Article

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I already was incredibly hyped for this game, this just adds to it. I love how dying works from your description. That sounds like an amazing way to handle it.

I'd love some word on how Stealth works though?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Roofstone said:
I already was incredibly hyped for this game, this just adds to it. I love how dying works from your description. That sounds like an amazing way to handle it.

Stealth is actually pretty similar to the Assassin's Creed model. You do have to hold down a button in the open, but there's foliage and stuff to hide in that stealths you automatically. Sneaking around is totally a viable strategy, I just didn't get a lot of time to experiment with it because I am more of an action guy.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Actually sounds quite interesting, hopefully it's possible to take a completely random Orc and spend a few hours working him up the rungs rather than picking one already near the top. Totally pointless from a character perspective obviously but would be a fun little challenge for the player.

Now they just have to make it difficult enough that there's some tension from possibly dying leading to the whole system of power you've been cultivating collapsing and it might actually be the tipping point towards the new generation for me.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Sounds interesting, although I think it's pretty clear that when they said the part about orcs being humans driven by hate and fear, he wasn't implying that's how it was in the actual lore, just that by Tolkien's own words (in reference to that quote I so love about the Great War) orcs seem to be merely by humans thrust into fearful circumstances by the powers that lord over them. i.e. The soldiers of both sides in WWI were orcs by Tolkien's reckoning.

Of course, Sarumon's Uruk's were orc-human hybrids as I recall. But as I said, I don't think they were arguing the point on lore of the universe.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
When I first saw this game I was very on the fence, particularly about how fan-ficish the story seemed. But if this is going to be a tale about the main hero being corrupted by the Wraith as he tries to fight his enemy, so a story basically from the perspective of a Saruman, I guess that could actually fit.

And the gameplay sounds a lot cooler and less gimmicky/meaningless than I was expecting. Normally with random generation likes this, you get a huge array of choices, all of which are essentially the same thing. Oh I'm trying to find a key instead of a bike in the greenhouse instead of the garden.

What you described doesn't sound like that at all.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
I'm finally excited about this game. The early talk about the Nemesis system sounded cool, but I didn't know if it would really be able to deliver on the scale it promised and stay interesting. Hearing about it in action, it now sounds like it can actually do just that. Also, the main character seemed so boring before, but it sounds like Troy Baker is bringing some flavor to the dialogue, so he may not be just a piece of cardboard.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Roofstone said:

Stealth is actually pretty similar to the Assassin's Creed model. You do have to hold down a button in the open, but there's foliage and stuff to hide in that stealths you automatically. Sneaking around is totally a viable strategy, I just didn't get a lot of time to experiment with it because I am more of an action guy.
Awesome! I am rather fond of a combination myself, I adore games that let me pick of enemies before just jumping into the fray of confused stragglers.

Black Flag did that rather well. Glad this one allows me to do that as well. <3

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
It SOUNDS amazing, but I've seen too many games fail due to over ambition.

I've also seen even more games promise the moon and deliver nothing but disappointment and tears *cough*Fable*Cough*

If this game manages to live up to the promise, though, it will be -Don't SAY IT!- Aamaazing!

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
The game does sound very interesting. But we'll see how well the Nemesis system holds up during the course of a full game.
I do admire their intentions behind it though.
They seem to want to try and take advantage of the unique story-telling oppurtunities this medium lends them.

Azriel Nightshade

Jun 9, 2008
Looks cool. I don't care at all about Lord of the Rings tho. Now if this game let you customize your dude like Mass Effect or Dark Souls, then I'd at least give it a shot. Talion bores me to death, visually.

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
Thought your tagline was literal for a moment there now I'm dissapointed, the orcs are one of the least fleshed-out aspects of Middle Earth I'd love to play a game from their perspective.

Ah well, the game itself looks pretty interesting will have to keep an eye on it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Thank you, Tito. You've officially made me interested in this game again. After the story trailer, I lost a lot of hope for this game. But now that I know how intricate the nemesis system is and that I can use it to full capacity. I'll be picking this up when it comes out. Too bad I think it shares a release date with Inquisition.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
My impression of this game is Arkham City meets Assassins Creed set in Middle Earth; hella generic, but I REALLY wanna play it.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
tzimize said:
I'm cautiously optimistic because this sounds and looks too cool to be true.
Pretty much this. This is the Lord of the Rings game I've always wanted to play, but past experience has taught me not to get too excited about LOTR games because they often end up terrible.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Could this be the origin story of the Mouth of Sauron? That would make some sense.

Jan 10, 2013
Krantos said:
It SOUNDS amazing, but I've seen too many games fail due to over ambition.

I've also seen even more games promise the moon and deliver nothing but disappointment and tears *cough*Fable*Cough*

If this game manages to live up to the promise, though, it will be -Don't SAY IT!- Aamaazing!
Archer reference?

This game just sounds too good to be true. The cynic in me says the nemesis system will just work out to two or three orcish dudes spouting one of five one-liners about how you once burned/stabbed/kissed them and now they'll SEE YOU PAY! They'll each be a special, unique snowflake, in that one likes apples, one is good at tying straws into knots with his tongue and one thinks rainbows are made out of cotton candy. That's all the characterisation there will be. Distinctions without differences.

The smaller, hopeful part of me wants the game to deliver what it promises.