We Can All Relate To Spielberg's Robot Apocalypse Film

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
We Can All Relate To Spielberg's Robot Apocalypse Film

Sure, robots tossing old people down an elevator shaft sounds extreme, but Steven Spielberg claims it's a relevant vision of the future.

It's been a little while since film director Steven Spielberg made a straight-up science fiction movie (the last time he did was with 2005's War of the Worlds). Come 2013, though, he's returning to the genre that he's done exceptionally well with over the years with an adaptation of the novel <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Robopocalypse-Novel-Daniel-H-Wilson/dp/0385533853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326505067&sr=8-1>Robopocalypse. Now, the director's explained what the film will contain, and it sounds like it'll have a lot going for it.

Spielberg has been <a href=http://www.deadline.com/interstitial/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deadline.com%2F2010%2F10%2Fsteven-spielberg-commits-to-direct-robopocalypse%2F>on board to direct the movie since late 2010, and has been fairly vocal about his enthusiasm for the project. Speaking to Time Out London, though, Spielberg explained how he plans to create a film in a future setting that we can all relate to:

"It's a movie about a global war between man and machine. I had a great time creating the future on Minority Report, and it's a future that is coming true faster than any of us thought it would. Robopocalypse takes place in 15 or 20 years, so it'll be another future we can relate to. It's about the consequences of creating technologies which make our lives easier, and what happens when that technology becomes smarter than we are. It's not the newest theme, it's been done throughout science fiction, but it's a theme that becomes more relevant every year.

At the moment, the movie is still very much in the pre-production phase. At the moment, there haven't been any cast announcements (despite IMDB's listing of virtually unknown actor Nick Santino). Robopocalypse is set to hit theaters on July 3, 2013.

Source: Screen Rant

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Wow, you mean an ultra-smart AI will decide (Or have it decided for it) that it loves life and must protect it, even if it means sacrificing some of its 'love' to save the majority?

I, Robot ladies and gentlemen.

Oh wait, I mean, Robopocalypse, ladies and gentlemen.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
It's Spielberg so it should be good.
I'm interested to see how this works... I can't see tech being too advanced in 15 years (especially compared to Minority Report) so this should be Tamagotchies and robotic lawn-mowers destroying stuff. Nice.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Wow a film I may be genuinely interested in. Thats a very rare find these days.
Can't be jumping the gun though. So I'll wait to see some trailers.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Just from this pic I want the main robot character to be John DiMaggio the voice of Bender.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
One of these days, we need to develop a future where our people are both smart enough to make AI that advanced and smarter still to either make sure it doesn't succeed human intelligent or just outright make a killswitch that can't be turned off that'll kill the robots in case something goes horribly wrong (like they always will).

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Oh dear sweet God in Heaven, save me from this 1950's conservative boogeyman rhetoric. "More relevant every year." What horse-flop. Yeah, between now and 2022 the world's economy will pull a complete and orgasmic U-turn, and we'll be so desperate to find things to spend money on we'll build an army of robots to wipe our backsides, then some video of a drunk guy busting his roomba with a baseball bat to the synthetic cries of "why, daddy, why?" will go viral on HyperYouTube and bam! We're drinking liquified corpses through a shunt in our intestines while our brains are plugged into virtual reality constructs computing pi all day because JOKER PLUGGED IN THE OVERMIND.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
...wow..."original"

are the robots fighting us because we were pricks?..again "original"

seriously why cant robots be our freinds? whats wrong with that

I liked Irobots aproach...that was intereting at least, this sounds more like "ohhhhh what have we DONE? we shouldn't have played god because robots will kill us..BECAUSE THATS WHAT HAPPENS IN SCI FI..just because"

..ok too cynical? hmm mabye

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
ThunderCavalier said:
One of these days, we need to develop a future where our people are both smart enough to make AI that advanced and smarter still to either make sure it doesn't succeed human intelligent or just outright make a killswitch that can't be turned off that'll kill the robots in case something goes horribly wrong (like they always will).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Robot

It's been done. And even 72 years on, Asimov still hasn't managed to completely rid the world of paranoiacs.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
It'll be interesting as long as the robots are assholes with a great sense of humor.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
Could be interesting if done in at least a semi-original way. I recently watch Animatrix, and there was a thing about a robot (B1-66ER) killing a human because B1-66ER was threatened and didn't want to die. There was robot genocide (with a particularly good scene with a robot on his knees, hands tied behind back, being executed) and robots making their own robot civilization and robot-human war and robots wanting peace and to join the United Nations but then there was war, blah blah blah.

If it was something like that, I'd watch it. If it's just robots being perfect and humans are imperfect so robots must kill humans, I'm not that interested.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
Oh dear sweet God in Heaven, save me from this 1950's conservative boogeyman rhetoric. "More relevant every year."
Well, he has to drum up interest somehow. Saying the movie will have lots of gratuitous CGI and will be shot in 3D and 2 parts won't cut it like "OMG, this is totally going to happen, believe me, I'm a movie guy".

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
"...It's not the newest theme..."

No freakin' shit, Spielberg. May as well call it 'The I Artificial Minority Terminator Blade Robot Intelligence Runner: A Matrix Odyssey'

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
God, I'm sick of humans vs robots movies.

Now, humans and aliens vs robots on the other hand...

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Another movie about robots turning on their human masters? GROAN. I'm so tired of all these science fiction movies about technology dooming mankind. Is every science fiction writer in hollywood a damned luddite?

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Well, I hope it turns out to be a good'n..
'Technology that makes our lives easier will inevitably end up malevolent one way or another' is.. getting a little tiresome, for my feeling. Sure, highlight the possibility, even deal with it happening, but.. treating it as inevitable for whatever reason is just..

Suffice to say, Icarus' on-board computer in Sunshine's one of my favourite fictional AI's to this end >.>